Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Sure...sure...blame your messiness on your beautiful cat!

Wait until I tell him what you said...you're in big trouble, now!:(

I'm not blaming the mess on him; he knows about it, because he watched, yay, encouraged me in the making of it. He just doesn't want me to clean it up right now! He's more interested in holding me down on this chair right now.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
A polyglot cat……I'll bet he speaks other languages fluently, it is just that he may not wish to let on that he is capable of such. Indeed, I'm willing to wager that he may know the words for 'fish', 'milk' or indeed, 'coffee' in several languages…….

I know he's far more intelligent then he let's on. Probably even more than intelligent than me.

Rather, we communicate in Catonese. Haha! A language we both understand each other in.

----
These are not Oreo Cookies.

Attachments

• 2014-07-31 18.01.33.jpg
    2014-07-31 18.01.33.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 39

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I know he's far more intelligent then he let's on. Probably even more than intelligent than me.

Rather, we communicate in Catonese. Haha! A language we both understand each other in.

----
These are not Oreo Cookies.

Ooooops.

Peering at the screen, I must confess that I did entertain some doubts on the matter, until your explanation put me right…..

By the way, gardening enthusiasts (and no, I'm not one, but several people I am close to are) have informed me that coffee grounds are surprisingly excellent in gardens. Apparently, certain (occasionally shelled) creatures who are wont to leave a rather slimy trail are less than enamoured of the residue of ground coffee....

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ooooops.

Peering at the screen, I must confess that I did entertain some doubts on the matter, until your explanation put me right…..

By the way, gardening enthusiasts (and no, I'm not one, but several people I am close to are) have informed me that coffee grounds are surprisingly excellent in gardens. Apparently, certain (occasionally shelled) creatures who are wont to leave a rather slimy trail are less than enamoured of the residue of ground coffee....

I'v also heard that coffee grounds are good for gardeners. I suppose if I were one, and had a place to grow one, I might use them in it.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Ooooops.

Yes, coffee grounds should go directly into your compost! When I lived in MI I kept a small plot at a community garden and would reserve my coffee grounds for composting. I reallllllly miss gardening. :(

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'v also heard that coffee grounds are good for gardeners. I suppose if I were one, and had a place to grow one, I might use them in it.

Yes, coffee grounds should go directly into your compost! When I lived in MI I kept a small plot at a community garden and would reserve my coffee grounds for composting. I reallllllly miss gardening. :(

Well, a very good English friend of mine - one of these wonderful Renaissance types, a woman who is a medical doctor, speaks several languages, books - spilling out of shelves - the sort of shelves where Harry Potter fights for space with Socrates - over several floors of a house itself several centuries old, bakes her own bread, makes her own chutney, is an outstanding musician - well, she stands, fidgeting, hopping from foot to foot, when I am drinking a pot of coffee (prepared by her husband, he - a retired judge - is usually the chef and coffee maker) in her house, waiting for an opportunity to seize the coffee grounds, whereupon the garden - she was my informant on this matter, - is promptly visited and the snails and other unwelcome creatures are offered coffee grounds to add variety to their life.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
A recommendation…If Sweet Marias does a Moka Kadir blend roast…you might consider trying it. I don’t know how it would be in a press or pour over…but I really like it in a dark roast (Full City+ or Vienna) for espresso.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
A recommendation…If Sweet Marias does a Moka Kadir blend roast…you might consider trying it. I don’t know how it would be in a press or pour over…but I really like it in a dark roast (Full City+ or Vienna) for espresso.

Perhaps I'll give it a whirl next time. Thanks for the recommendation.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Guys, guys, guys: In all of the discussion of the rarefied tastes of coyote poop, cat fur and weasel toenail, where is the molasses, creamy honey, smooth coffees I dream of?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Apparently not to be found in Shrink's residence! He enjoys the taste and smell of the wild.

Hey...I can't help it if the coffee beans I taste have certain flavors. Sure, there's molasses, and creamy honey, and boysenberry, and all those other nice things...but then there's that other stuff, too!

I just report it...don'y blame the messenger!:eek:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Apparently not to be found in Shrink's residence! He enjoys the taste and smell of the wild.

And here was I labouring under the clearly mistaken misapprehension that he was the epitome of an urbane and sophisticated urban dweller, at ease with the satisfying sensation of asphalt beneath his feet (as I am), someone whose world is navigated (as mine is) by the known distance between elegant cafés…….for whom the mere existence of book shops, theatres, restaurants and pubs define what it is to be a civilised member of the human race………...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Joy; joy of joys. Some good news to report:

My friends, 'the boys' are back; this means that our coffee shop is open for business again. In fact, this morning, I had not one, but two double espressos while chatting with them…..

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

My friends, 'the boys' are back; this means that our coffee shop is open for business again. In fact, this morning, I had not one, but two double espressos while chatting with them…..

Good news! How long were they away for, wherein you had to suffer a little?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Deprivation heightens gratification.

Or some silliness like that!:p

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
A notice to all...

This is National Coffee Month.

Of course, for us, every month is National Coffee Month!:cool:

Origin of this Holiday
Our research did not find the creator, or the origin of this day. We did however find that this holiday has been celebrated for many years. There is plenty of documentation to support that National Coffee Month does indeed exist but we don't know by who or why.
This holiday is referred to as a "National" day. However, we did not find any congressional records or presidential proclamations for this day. Even though we didn't, this is still a holiday that is publicized to celebrate.
So have fun with it and celebrate it!

Source

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.