Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Athleti's President has said he's not interested in either Torres, Callejon, Hernandez or Cazorla.

Last edited:

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Would love to see Hernandez move to Spurs. They need an active attacker not afraid to press the D with this new style Pochettino plays, from what I'm reading.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Germany just won the European youth tourney U19 against Portugal 1:0. Berlin's Mukthar scored. Happy happy, joy joy! :D

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Tomorrow the season starts with the Johan Cruijffschaal which is the Charity Shield here.

PEC Zwolle against Ajax Amsterdam.

PEC surprised Ajax at the end of last season in the beker final and won deservedly 5-1.:D

Tomorrow should be a more even match.:eek:

This match has already got a major problem, the tickets are via both clubs €42,50. But the KNVB sponsor a very large supermarket has been giving the tickets away free with € 20 shopping. Both clubs are angry and the police are not happy as there is no control on known trouble makers.

The magic spray from the world cup makes it’s way on to Dutch football fields.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
BuCUEvMCEAAERn4.jpg:large

Alexis: Come to Arsenal mate

Falcao: Nah, French riviera + easy tax-free money = no brainer

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Meaningless friendly against poor opposition. But still good to see dynamic play, pace and energy throughout the team.

Rambo in beast mode today. Hopefully Ox and Wilshere step up their game too this season.

As for Alexis, forget the attacking skills, what i really liked was that he tracked back when we lost the ball. Something which Poldi, Santi and Özil don't do too well.

Chambers solid, Bellerin a prospect. Sanogoal now Sanogo and hopefully kicks on.

Already grateful that we've gotten two big-name deals over the line in succession, and have already put down early for quality reinforcements where needed. But i'm still holding out for another midfield engine/anchor for the 'big games' plus a quick CB if TV5 ends up leaving.

But for now, i await the real test against City in the Shield.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
United defeat Real 3-1 in front of 109k spectators.

Maybe LvG was right and United don't really need to strengthen after all.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

Too early to tell, it's the preseason after all, at least that's what i'm telling myself hehe.

With CR7, Benzema and DiMaria that high defensive line probably wouldn't have worked so well. And James and Kroos can't start practicing with the squad soon enough, only two weeks to the european super cup.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Reading that Vermaelen who is supposedly one of United's targets has agreed a move to Barca for £10m. Vermaelen and Matthieu is not a partnership that screams intimidation but who knows...

Liverpool meanwhile have apparently completed the Manquillo deal.

On another note, surprised no English team has moved for Gary Medel. Could do a job for one of the newly promoted sides or Arsenal, i hear they're looking for a CB/DM.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Manquillo could be a big move for Liverpool. If they can get Moreno as well the club has the potential to develop a long-term partnership at the back with two players who might become stalwart Spanish internationals.

The pomp and hype could hardly be greater, and everything LvG touches turns to gold. Man Utd are taking full advantage of the preseason to try and get a positive vibe going.

LvG is a real autocrat; in that sense he is a worthy successor for Ferg. But I think he's even more arrogant than Ferg was, and seems to have a reputation for wearing out his welcome over time. Success may smooth all those wrinkles though.

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
PEC wins the Johan Cruijff Schaal.

PEC 1 0 Ajax.

In the Amsterdam arena PEC beat Ajax, it a very drawn out slow tempo game, with lots of mistakes. It was a typical first match of the season, to many players thinking about the vacation.

One true moment of class Kamohelo Mokotjo gave the perfect oblique pass which cuyt out the whole Ajax defence, Stef Nijland scored.

PEC were without a doubt the better team..

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Too early to tell, it's the preseason after all, at least that's what i'm telling myself hehe.

With CR7, Benzema and DiMaria that high defensive line probably wouldn't have worked so well. And James and Kroos can't start practicing with the squad soon enough, only two weeks to the european super cup.

A week or two is a long time in preseason - Manchester United are ahead. Is Di Maria staying? Thought he was a part of the Real Madrid, Monaco, PSG, Chelsea FFP shenanigans.

---

Manchester United are playing well, of course we will see tomorrow Herr Blackadder.

Cheers,
OW

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
cAshley Cole - I'm not here for the money, I'm here because of the team spirit, they're a great bunch of lads...

Attachments

• cashely cole.jpg
    cashely cole.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 106

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Sunderland land Rodwell. That could prove to be shrewd business

If he can stay fit, yes.

It was incredibly foolish of him to sign for City. Ditto with Sinclair, another promising player who got completely buried at the Etihad.

No comments about Liverpool / Utd yet? It was a funny match with the two day turnaround for both teams, the ultra-late start time for Europe, and the half-empty stadium in Miami. Lousy logistics on the part of the ICC organizers.

Anyway, Utd didn't look so hot in the first half. Liverpool's pressure really bothered them, making Fletcher and Herrera in particular look bad. Sterling was a beast, winning the one penalty and could have won a second. Moutinho also looked very dangerous.

Van Gaal made the adjustments at halftime — or successfully channeled the Fergie hairdryer — and the result was much better play. Great stuff from Rooney and Young in particular, and I was pretty impressed by Tyler Blackett's defensive work, though he faced a much more fatigued Sterling. What else does Jesse Lingard need to do to earn a place?

The self-belief looks like it's back, and that's about 75% of the battle right there. There are still kinks to work out with the players understanding LvG's system, especially in defense. Transfer business still remains to be done, both inbound and outbound. Have to say I'm pretty excited for the new season and expect United's vacation from Europe will be a brief one.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Blackett is left footed and bringing him on in one of the other games also brought calm. They weren't pressed as much by the other teams but dealt with it when they were - think the balance is important. Isn't Vermaelen a lefty? Fletcher's passing was poor - unforced errors - and De Gea's kicking was erratic, so they didn't help.

From the tour; Keane and Zaha aren't ready, Lingard and Blackett are - to play some part. Already knew the need for a top mid and at least one centre back. Also, what is up with Young?

Liverpool; still fading around 60 minutes?

Cheers,
OW

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
United's best player retires. ;)

Manquillo official. Does that mean Glen Johnson is about to be dropped. Even more so after the weekend's horror showing.

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
We stand at the dawn of Zwolsche world domination. :cool:

Meanwhile, we're at the KC tonight for our first ever European home tie. 'tis most exciting. :)

Hope that you live long and prosper in Europa league JC.

The first match of the 2014-2015 season.

Friday 8 August 20:00 IJsseldelstation

PEC Zwolle vs FC Utrecht

PEC will be without Kamohelo Mokotjo the South African, who is transfered to FC Twente. This is a big surprise as he was one of the best players last season, and the main reason that PEC won the Johan Cruijff Schaal.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.