Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Ignore everyone else and just listen to this sound advice;

Get what you need for college, don't worry about future-proofing or any of that foolishness. You can buy a new computer when you finish college once you get a job. Or continue to use this computer because it's going to last you a good 4-5 years.

Now that we've settled that, let's move on to your actual question instead of the side-arguments that are littering your poor thread;

i5: good medium- uses less power, fairly powerful

i7: lots of processing power, a bit more power hungry.

In terms of performance, you will not notice much between the two. The SSD will make things zippy and you have plenty of RAM already (even though RAM isn't a big deal in terms of performance, in your case. You could call that future-proofing). The i7 is somewhat faster, but you will likely only notice this when your processor is running at peak. Compiling programs, playing games and exporting videos from movie software are some common activities that would require this extra 'oomf'. However, even then, there is not much difference.

The decision comes down to a little more zip (i7) or save your money and stick with a still very powerful processor (i5). That decision is up to you. Either way, you're still doing very well.

I hope that helped.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Actually your suggestion to get a big, heavy 15" MBP is the terrible advice. Light weight and portability is often more important than the extra power, speed or flexibility.

Once again, I was not suggesting that the OP needs to get a 15 inch rMBP. I was simply stating a pricing comparison.

Last edited:

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Actually your suggestion to get a big, heavy 15" MBP is the terrible advice. Light weight and portability is often more important than the extra power, speed or flexibility.

You are right that some people benefit from light weight more than the 2x power boost, screen real estate, extra ports, and better speakers. I am in that camp as well. Does that make it horrible advice? Not really. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and especially in this scenario there are some serious tradeoffs to consider. If the recommendation was to buy a typewriter instead of a computer, then we could start talking about terrible advice. Even then though, that argument might have its merits. Sometimes, the best way to fight a closed mind is with an open mind.

abbeybound

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Wow.. Thanks for all the input everyone, this is tremendous.

I think, once again, I am leaning towards the i5. The cost is probably the biggest factor, and my needs are modest at best. The most intense game I'll try is probably Portal 2, or one of the open source engines (some of which, ironically enough, run fine on a G4.)

A big reason I want to do it now, is I will more than likely have a job in the IT department as the Mac guy (very small college.) I have used the family '11 MBP extensively, but I think experience and reference with the latest-and-greatest would be helpful.

I am nearly sold on the 8gb of ram. That always seems like the first thing people want to upgrade. I don't know if it is still the case, but in my experience up to Snow Leopard, each successive OS liked nearly twice the ram as the previous to run well. Also, I reason keeping the swaps to an absolute minimum will increase the life of the SSD.

So, with education pricing we have:

$849 base (+ $90 RAM) = $939 - $100 gift card. I'm looking at $750 or $840, if I can find someone to buy the gift card. Icing on the cake, 8/1-3 is tax free in SC, so that's another savings of $65.

The 19" monitor is a somewhat older panel that I already have, with a 1440x900 resolution. It has served me really well through highschool.

Will

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Maxing out would only be justified if you truly needed that power when you bought the computer. This means future proofing isn't necessary.

Just an opinion. My opinion is he needs as much power as his dollar will allow because we wants to maximize things such as user experience. And if you don't think a better, faster processor has an effect on user experience, then you're in some weird form of denial.

You mentioned how the i7 has a 15 percent increase in performance. We already know that. You did nothing to show why the OP would have any use for it. It's only faster in tasks that actually need the additional power.

Your number is wrong, but if you don't think my C2D Mac Mini and my C2D MBA are enough for me to offer an informed opinion based on their speed and memory differences, then I can't help you.

All basic tasks are the same regardless of processor. It's only when that extra power is needed does it make a difference. The OP's usage will never need that power. You are still telling him to max it out for no reason other than you think he should because you did.

This just seems like an opinion masquerading as fact. I want the OP to never be left wanting given the form factor he's chosen. There are most likely unforseen computing events in his future. College can be like that.

The OP's original question was, i5 or i7? i5 is the answer. OP would see no benefit whatsoever with an i7.

This also seems like an opinion masquerading as fact.

My advice is the same OP, max out the processor and don't look back.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Wow.. Thanks for all the input everyone, this is tremendous.

I think, once again, I am leaning towards the i5. The cost is probably the biggest factor, and my needs are modest at best. The most intense game I'll try is probably Portal 2, or one of the open source engines (some of which, ironically enough, run fine on a G4.)

A big reason I want to do it now, is I will more than likely have a job in the IT department as the Mac guy (very small college.) I have used the family '11 MBP extensively, but I think experience and reference with the latest-and-greatest would be helpful.

I am nearly sold on the 8gb of ram. That always seems like the first thing people want to upgrade. I don't know if it is still the case, but in my experience up to Snow Leopard, each successive OS liked nearly twice the ram as the previous to run well. Also, I reason keeping the swaps to an absolute minimum will increase the life of the SSD.

So, with education pricing we have:

$849 base (+ $90 RAM) = $939 - $100 gift card. I'm looking at $750 or $840, if I can find someone to buy the gift card. Icing on the cake, 8/1-3 is tax free in SC, so that's another savings of $65.

The 19" monitor is a somewhat older panel that I already have, with a 1440x900 resolution. It has served me really well through highschool.

Will

Glad you've made a decision! Sounds like you are getting exactly what you need. Glad we all could help you decide.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
OP, it looks like I was mistaken, if this chart is correct, it looks as if all i3/i5/i7 Haswell 2 core (mobile and desktop) processors support hyper threading, and this includes yours (i5-4260U). Good luck!

abbeybound

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
OP, it looks like I was mistaken, if this chart is correct, it looks as if all i3/i5/i7 Haswell 2 core (mobile and desktop) processors support hyper threading, and this includes yours (i5-4260U). Good luck!

That's fantastic.

Thanks for all your input, rrl!

Last edited:

abbeybound

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Well, I pulled the trigger. :D

After 10 years of using older second-hand Macs, I'm very excited to finally have a new one of my own.

I was a little disappointed by the estimated delivery date of 8/13.. I leave on the 12th. Hoping they can make up a couple days, else I'll be driving back home my first weekend at school ;) Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all your help, everyone!

Will

abbeybound

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
**delete%%

Thanks for the link, cg. While it was most definitely too late, his conclusion points me towards the i5 anyway.

joshlalonde, I went with the 11" i5/8gb/128. Despite a couple issues with UPS, it came within the delivery time frame (which wasn't a moment too soon, I moved out 12 hours later). Would be nice if they could get it down from ~10 days, but I can't complain.

The computer itself is fantastic, and a joy to use. I've gotten completely used to the 11.6" display; between the pixel density and full screen apps, it feels bigger than my 12.1" powerbook. The trackpad feels slightly awkward, but I'll get used to it. The 19" monitor might as well be a movie screen for how big it looks now :)

There have been a few hiccups, most recently the complete failure of remote disc to work properly. I brought along a G4 Mac mini, to run OS 9 and PPC apps and share the disc drive. I have it and the air (with a working usb-enet adapter) connected to a router. Both have IPs, but the router is not on the net. The Air sees the drive, and sometimes gives me the name of the disc. But if you open it, it is either empty or gives an error (original item cannot be found). According to Apple, 10.4.11 ought to work. It is fully updated. Any ideas?

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I have an i7.

Is it NICE to have? Yes. Definitely. However I only got it because I needed a machine right away and couldn't wait for a BTO.

If I could do it over again, I'd probably get the i5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.