Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Received my iMac!

27"/3.4ghz i7/8gb ram/1tb fusion/GTX 680MX 2gb

Replaced my old 2008 iMac... restored from my Time Machine backup, everything is speedy :D

JP101

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
I just ordered my first ever mac after new higher end ones failed to materialise today. I opted for the 27" with 256gb SDD and 780m. I was on the fence about upgrading the processor, but stuck with the i5 as I assume the difference is not noticeable for most people. I left the RAM at 8gb as I'll simply add more when I've got the cash again.
It is a shame the SDDs are so expensive, as I'd love to have put in a 512gb but I can't justify it when I can easily get external ones in the future instead.

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Just got my refurbished iMac yesterday.

27" i7, 3.5ghz, 3TB Fusion Drive, GeForce GTX 780M.

Also bought Windows 8.1 for boot camp, and 32MB of RAM from Crucial, and everything arrived on the same day. :)

Gloops

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Ordered a referb 21.5" 2.9GHz i5 with 8 GB RAM, GeForce GT 750M and fusion drive. Received a 3.1GHz i7 with 16GB RAM. Result! Seems flawless.

Kind of wish I'd gone for the 27" now though, the screen is a bit weeny after my old 24" - but, on the other hand, with the £500 I saved I can get a decent IPS panel and extend the desktop.

Migration assistant is a pain now. I've always used firewire with target disk mode in the past and everything was transferred in minutes. Ethernet takes hours and then hangs. It took me three attempts to get it to work.

ColorWerx

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
Minnesota
Still haven't ordered yet, but getting really close...

I'm seeing a lot of you all ordering the refurbished iMacs...any issues with them? Anything to look out for?

Obviously one can save a lot by going this route; for me, it will be my first Mac, and I'm already thinking this one will be a somewhat temporary one until the rumored Retina iMacs come out later.

Gloops

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Still haven't ordered yet, but getting really close...

I'm seeing a lot of you all ordering the refurbished iMacs...any issues with them? Anything to look out for?

Obviously one can save a lot by going this route; for me, it will be my first Mac, and I'm already thinking this one will be a somewhat temporary one until the rumored Retina iMacs come out later.

No issues here, so far... knock on wood. This is my sixth Mac (first was the original Bondi Blue iMac back in 1998), but the first time I've gone the refurbished route. The GPU on my 6 year old 24" iMac is on its last legs so I really needed to get something now (I use it for work).

Aside from the packaging, which is a plain box with "Apple Certified Refurbished" on it, the contents may as well be straight from the factory. No discernible problems. On top of that I received a big upgrade over what I paid for.

If you need a new PC now and can't wait, a refurbished Mac is worth considering. You get the same 14 day returns and one year warranty, so nothing to lose really, just a fancy box.

clover313

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
I finally ordered my first iMac 28.06.14....had been waiting to buy one for a long long time now. Can't take my hp laptop anymore always dead on me when I use photoshop...since there are more than 200 dollar price drop in NZ for ALL of the iMacs it's worth the wait save around 300 dollars with student discount on my maxed out 21.5 inch. I7 processor. 16gb ram .1 Tb fusion drive. I can't wait until I get it......yeah...super excited. ..

bubsdaddy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
I just received my:

Originally released May 2011
27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics with 512MB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera

That cost me $1129 plus tx. They shipped it overnight. I know it isn't state of the art but I chose the 27" screen over a 2013 new 21.5" screen.

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
With the iMacs dropping in price over here and the student discount, I finally decided to upgrade to a 27" iMac.

Ordered pic related for £1695 with Applecare. Have also ordered an extra 8GB of ram from Crucial for £64.

Now for the wait :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 20.56.20.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 20.56.20.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 87

ColorWerx

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
Minnesota
FINALLY ORDERED.

(Better late than never.)

Here's what I finally decided on:

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (late 2013)
* 8GB memory
* 3TB Fusion drive
* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M graphics processor with 4GB of GDDR5 memory

I'm also getting the Magic Trackpad, the keyboard with numeric keypad and Parallels Desktop 9. (I plan to install both Windows 7 and possibly Windows 8 on this thing.)

And, I placed another order on Amazon for the following:

* 2x Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L 1600 MHz memory modules...will be able to upgrade to 32GB memory.
* Anker USB 3.0 7-port hub
* External USB Blu-Ray writer SuperDrive for Apple
* WD My Passport for Mac 2TB Portable External HD storage (USB 3.0)

Maxing this thing out. Also, felt that by going the refurbished route, I'm saving some money, especially if the rumored Retina iMac is out within the next year or so.

I'm maxing this out primarily due to what I use a computer for - namely, database work combined with graphic design.

I've been working on a Dell laptop since 2006, and I'm sick of it practically melting down every time I pull up a YouTube video.

UKDad

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
Kentucky
21.5 imac here saturday

Im a new mac owner and i just want to know if it's necessary to have antivirus or anything along those lines for security. I've only heard positive things but just want to be sure.

TechiEmmanuel

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013
Northern Virginia
A family friend was suffering with a six-month old Dell all-in-one, so I went to Best Buy with them and saved them $370 (after rebate) on a mid-range iMac 21.5". They love it! Next for them is a SuperDrive, refurbished AirPort Express, and Apple TV.

----------

Im a new mac owner and i just want to know if it's necessary to have antivirus or anything along those lines for security. I've only heard positive things but just want to be sure.

If you practice safe browsing habits and don't do anything stupid, you'll be fine.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I decided to take advantage of the back to school promo and picked up the 27" in my signature. I used the $100 Apple gift card toward AppleCare. :cool:

clover313

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
I decided to take advantage of the back to school promo and picked up the 27" in my signature. I used the $100 Apple gift card toward AppleCare. :cool:

lucky that you got 100 apple gift card ...just got my iMac today but the promotion is not available in my country. ..sad.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Okaaaayyy... just pulled the plug.
I bought a 27 inch iMac.
3,5-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost 3,9 GHz
32 GB 1600-MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x 8 GB
1 TB flashstorage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB GDDR5

Hopefully this will give me a fast workstation for all my photo editing, graphic design and video editing/ animation..

Anyone know a good silent fast harddrive for Timemachine?

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Okaaaayyy... just pulled the plug.
I bought a 27 inch iMac.
3,5-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost 3,9 GHz
32 GB 1600-MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x 8 GB
1 TB flashstorage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB GDDR5

Hopefully this will give me a fast workstation for all my photo editing, graphic design and video editing/ animation..

Anyone know a good silent fast harddrive for Timemachine?

Wow souped up machine. congrats

ColorWerx

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
Minnesota
Finally got mine yesterday.

(again - maxed out refurb'd 27" late-2013; 3TB Fusion Drive, 4GB VRAM)

This one came with 8GB RAM, but I had already ordered 2 Crucial 16GB kits for upgrading the memory. Once I got it up-and-running and felt that the computer was working properly, I took a deep breath and installed the Crucial kits. Absolutely no problem. Whatsoever.

I'm running into some hiccups with getting Boot Camp and Win7 installed, but I don't think it will be a big deal.

I've also got a third-party Blu-ray writer running along with a WD My Passport and an Anker USB 3.0 hub.

My ONLY (very minor) gripe, is that I need the keyboard with the numeric keypad, and it's wired. Not sure why Apple can't produce a wireless keyboard with numeric keypad, but like I said - it's a minor complaint.

allymac

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Just ordered the 27" with i5 3.4GB, 1TB fusion, 8gb ram (will upgrade myself when I get it) and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2G.

I haven't had a desktop Mac before, had a 2009 MBP previously and now a 2013 MBA. Need a desktop machine as I'm a student about to start writing a research thesis and didn't fancy hunching over an 11" laptop for weeks on end :eek:

Got UK education discount and the £60 back to school gift card :) Delivery should be middle of next week.

allymac

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Just ordered the 27" with i5 3.4GB, 1TB fusion, 8gb ram (will upgrade myself when I get it) and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2G.

I haven't had a desktop Mac before, had a 2009 MBP previously and now a 2013 MBA. Need a desktop machine as I'm a student about to start writing a research thesis and didn't fancy hunching over an 11" laptop for weeks on end :eek:

Got UK education discount and the £60 back to school gift card :) Delivery should be middle of next week.

Well it's here and it really is a thing of beauty. Love it so much :D:cool:

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I just got my refurbed 27" i7 with 16GB of ram, 1TB fusion drive and 2TB NVidia graphics card, on July 14th, what was nice and unexpected was Apple upgraded my video card to the 4GB NVidia 780m, I was quite excited to see that. Love the machine, its my first iMac and its very speedy.

blackglass

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
I'm pretty miffed with Apple and the reseller I ordered my iMac from in Australia. It's a special order from Apple that was on the reseller's site as a special and we were first told 10-15 days delivery, then 2-4 weeks and 4 weeks later it's 4-5 weeks with no guarantee I will see it by then. Might just be the last Apple product I buy.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Oct 9, 2011
Finally got mine yesterday.

(again - maxed out refurb'd 27" late-2013; 3TB Fusion Drive, 4GB VRAM)

This one came with 8GB RAM, but I had already ordered 2 Crucial 16GB kits for upgrading the memory. Once I got it up-and-running and felt that the computer was working properly, I took a deep breath and installed the Crucial kits. Absolutely no problem. Whatsoever.

I'm running into some hiccups with getting Boot Camp and Win7 installed, but I don't think it will be a big deal.

I've also got a third-party Blu-ray writer running along with a WD My Passport and an Anker USB 3.0 hub.

My ONLY (very minor) gripe, is that I need the keyboard with the numeric keypad, and it's wired. Not sure why Apple can't produce a wireless keyboard with numeric keypad, but like I said - it's a minor complaint.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac?crid=26 best out there

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I'm pretty miffed with Apple and the reseller I ordered my iMac from in Australia. It's a special order from Apple that was on the reseller's site as a special and we were first told 10-15 days delivery, then 2-4 weeks and 4 weeks later it's 4-5 weeks with no guarantee I will see it by then. Might just be the last Apple product I buy.

You are blaming Apple because you are having difficulties with a reseller, if you have bought directly from Apple in the first place you would have had your machine by now.

blackglass

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
You are blaming Apple because you are having difficulties with a reseller, if you have bought directly from Apple in the first place you would have had your machine by now.
I'm afraid I don't agree. If Apple selectively appoint resellers to distribute their products they have an obligation to deliver goods in timely fashion and NOT favour their direct ordering customers over reseller orders.

If Apple were to adopt the policy to which you allude, it would be disgraceful business practice. Otherwise why would they have resellers at all?

5 WEEKS NOW AND COUNTING!

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I'm afraid I don't agree. If Apple selectively appoint resellers to distribute their products they have an obligation to deliver goods in timely fashion and NOT favour their direct ordering customers over reseller orders.

If Apple were to adopt the policy to which you allude, it would be disgraceful business practice. Otherwise why would they have resellers at all?

5 WEEKS NOW AND COUNTING!

You are assuming Apple is delaying shipments to the reseller, unless you have contrary evidence you argument doesn't hold water.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.