Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackglass

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
You are assuming Apple is delaying shipments to the reseller, unless you have contrary evidence you argument doesn't hold water.
I obviously didn't make myself clear. No I wasn't suggesting Apple are delaying shipments to resellers in my reply but it seems you were correct in your original reply, in that I would have received it earlier should I have ordered from Apple directly.

I have just spoken to my reseller an hour or so ago, they claim that Apple are notorious for treating their resellers poorly. If that is so I believe it's an appalling business practice by Apple.

It makes little commercial sense to appoint accredited resellers only to disadvantage them later.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I have just spoken to my reseller an hour or so ago, they claim that Apple are notorious for treating their resellers poorly. If that is so I believe it's an appalling business practice by Apple.

That argument also doesn't hold water and is likely not the full story. Apple is an extremely well run business. This means that if a reseller is not keeping up with their part of their contract with Apple for example not paying their bills to Apple on-time, not keeping their staff trained, etc.. Apple will enforce the contract and may withhold product until the reseller is in compliance.

If I were a reseller I certainly wouldn't want my customers (you) to know I wasn't running my business per my contract agreement.

I suggest you ask tough questions, and the next time you are in market for an Apple product and are considering a reseller research delivery times ahead of putting your money on the table.

I know of other resellers that rarely have issues getting product from Apple, from what I can tell they are well run businesses.

Last edited by a moderator:

seungboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
32GB memory upgrade?

so where is everyone buying the 32GB memory from? any brand better than others?

blackglass

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
Depending on where you are on the planet. Two stand-out vendors are OWC http://www.macsales.com and Crucial. If you are in the US, I prefer OWC...anywhere else Crucial is a very solid vendor.
Thanks for the advice but I am dealing with the largest Apple reseller in Australia.

----------

That argument also doesn't hold water and is likely not the full story. Apple is an extremely well run business. This means that if a reseller is not keeping up with their part of their contract with Apple for example not paying their bills to Apple on-time, not keeping their staff trained, etc.. Apple will enforce the contract and may withhold product until the reseller is in compliance.

If I were a reseller I certainly wouldn't want my customers (you) to know I wasn't running my business per my contract agreement.

I suggest you ask tough questions, and the next time you are in market for an Apple product and are considering a reseller research delivery times ahead of putting your money on the table.

I know of other resellers that rarely have issues getting product from Apple, from what I can tell they are well run businesses.
I appreciate your comments. I doubt that there is a problem between my reseller and Apple (I can't be certain) because they are the largest independant dealer in Aus. The deal I got was a 'special' advertised on their site as an end of financial year special. It is a powerful special build iMac 27.

I did question the reseller about delivery prior to ordering and was told (as stated in my original post) 10-15 days which became 2-4 weeks which lately has turned into 4-5 weeks. Now... well who knows?

In addition, I searched the Whirlpool forums (here in Oz) about the reseller and their reputation in Australia and overwhelmingly the hundreds of comments were positive. There were comments about slow delivery but they invariably related to new product lines where delays could be expected. My reseller has been an Apple dealer for for over 15 years.

Each time I talk to the reseller they tell me that EVERY RESELLER IN AUSTRALIA has issues with Apple and their delivery times. The tell me that Apple disadvantage (my language not theirs) their resellers by offering preferential service to direct Apple customers and that communication with Apple is sparce.

I find the whole scenario frustrating because I reckon I can place a special order on a European motor vehicle and have it delivered in less time I would think.

If, and I add 'IF' my reseller is correct, and Apple intentionally disadvantage their 'hand picked' resellers in Australia, I still believe that is an appalling business practice.

Last edited:

yellerdied

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2014
Picked up my 9/13-make iMac refurb from the store a few hours ago.
Bonus- 775M switched up to 780M
That's the only thing different from my order that I can tell, so far.

Portal 2's downloading...

Last edited:

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
Got home with my new 21.5" iMac last night and fell in love with it. The screen is amazing and I can't believe the quality vs my 2009 Macbook.

So happy I made the upgrade.

vila251

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Just bought a refurbish 27" 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram, 512 flash storage. Ordered the GTX775, but came with GTX780 4GB GDDR5. Glad i bought the 27" instead of the 21".

ColorWerx

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
Minnesota
I'm going on 6 weeks now with my maxed-out 27" iMac, and I couldn't be happier.

Of course, I was coming over from a Dell D820 laptop, with a 2.16 GHz processor, 3.25 GB of usable RAM, and a 512MB video card - running Windows XP...THAT I BOUGHT IN 2006 (!).

Anything was going to seem better, but I finally feel like I've joined the 21st century.

NoFunInBand

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
I got my 21.5" iMac yesterday (the $1299 config) after 5 years with my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro. Boy does it feel nice to run Mavericks on proper hardware, haha.

And I didn't realize it until I unpacked it at home, but boy is this an extremely nice-looking machine.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Now u c it now u don't!

Last night was checking out a refurbished 27in iMac i7 3TB fusion drive, as my old iMac died in June. This morning I finally lost hope of an October spec bump and decided to make the purchase and it was gone... Sigh. :(

Any idea of the likelihood of something like that reappearing? How often does Apple add things to the refurb list?

chromedome45

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
I got an Open box 21.5" Quad Core i5 2.9 GHz from best buy a few days ago and love it. Saved $194.00
vs a new model. It Has the GeForce 750M graphics chip and runs really great. But do wish there was an easy way of upgrading ram on this model. Have it also running win 7 x64 under bootcamp. So all in all I great machine. :D

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Last night was checking out a refurbished 27in iMac i7 3TB fusion drive, as my old iMac died in June. This morning I finally lost hope of an October spec bump and decided to make the purchase and it was gone... Sigh. :(

Any idea of the likelihood of something like that reappearing? How often does Apple add things to the refurb list?

Check often, (like every few hours) inventory comes and goes quickly.

Kentguy77

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Got my first ever iMac delivered yesterday! I've always wanted one and now I finally have the means to get one I did! I used the excuse that I needed it for uni which I start next month, but does anyone *really* need an excuse to go Apple?

I already have an iPad mini and an iPhone 5, so now, with my iMac 21.5" taking pride of place on my desk, my ecosystem is now complete :)

Benzowner

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
Bristol UK
PC t iMac

Hi all, my first thread so be gentle;) I recently bought an iMac27 after switching from Windows8.1. The data transfer between the two systems with the help of apple software was quite simple. However, my problems have started. In finder, there are 1583 music tracks which were transferred from the old PC, but iTunes will only include 358 of them. So, to my question(s). How to get iTunes to include all of the tracks, or, is there a better player than iTunes. I have tried Vox, but as it appears to be linked in some way to iTunes, it also only loads up 358 tracks. Help!

Tidalwave

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Received my new imac this morning

I was originally supposed to receive it on Thursday, but it came 2 days early. I will be back later with impressions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.