Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjunderdog

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
Where can u download a clean, NON-UPGRADE Windows 8.1 ISO?

Got it to work on my Late 2013 15" rMBP 2.3 16 512 w/ 750m....LG Screen! :)

Just wanted to share step-by-step instructions of how to install Windows 8.1 using Bootcamp on Mavericks. After failing once and finding the solutions below, it actually worked. Just follow each step below and you will be able to install Windows 8.1 with no problems at all. Hope this helps....

-Create USB stick using Apple Bootcamp Assistant. This procedure only works with it.

This would seem to be work, except the problem is creating the USB stick. BCA instructs you to download an ISO. Finding a clean, NON-UPGRADE ISO of Windows 8.1 is VERY difficult, to next-to-impossible. If somebody knows where to download a NON-UPGRADE 8.1 ISO, please share!

Thanks.

MJ

pommephone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
i just went with the usual bootcamp process, and it didn't give me any issues installing windows 8.1. it's weird that so many people are having troubles with it. i wonder what is different
Same here, except that I installed Windows 8, and upgraded to 8.1 through the Windows Store (after installing all current updates on Windows 8). No problems here- running beautifully.

mjunderdog

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
Purchase an OEM or retail DVD of Windows 8.1 and create one yourself.

Don't you need an operating windows PC to create and ISO from dvd? (I looked it up and the directions were specifically from a PC) Since I am trying to created a Boot Camp Windows OS in my Mac, pretty difficult to do so. I supposed I could track down a friend with a PC to created the ISO. Except I'm traveling for work and all of my work chronies are Mac.

Thanks.

mjunderdog

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014

...this time select the Windows device with the USB logo on it. Its orange.

-Now it will start the install process. When it gets to the list of partition you should see four of them. You want the last one. It will say it cannot install on this.

-Make sure the fourth partition is selected then click format. When it is done the error message should be gone and you should be able to continue.

Note, in my case, when I selected the Orange disc (the one named Windows with the USB symbol) I needed to comply with the DOS command and click any key to continue, BEFORE it "times out". By "time out" I saw the first period, second period, third period, then it gave me an error message saying it could load. The next time, I hit return immediately and the install process started.

HOWEVER.... after selecting the fourth partition to format, I was NOT able to continue. I got the following error message:
"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

Can anyone figure this **** out? extremely frustrated.

Late 2013 rMBP, OS X 10.9.1:mad:

jcooperNET

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp MBP Feb 2013

Hi all,
I know this is an older thread… couldn't tell if there was a newer one on topic.

I have a 2013 MBP, just ran bootcamp, created a partition, ran the windows installation disc (CD).

Windows seems fine, but cannot figure out how to get Windows to access the Mac hardware (for instance it says there's no hardware to access the internet).

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Any help would be appreciated.

judgetr

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
Guys can you check your boot times in mac partition?
After bootcamp installation i got 44 sec in my high end 15 retina.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Was having issues installing the bootcamp assistant way even though it worked earlier this week I decided I wanted a larger partition so I had to start over after 5 attempts of it having an unexpected error at 91% I tried this method and it worked

gooostovo

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Dallas, TX
I was able to get Windows 8.1 installed via Boot Camp Assistant just fine, however, it wouldn't connect to the internet. The only other thing that didn't seem to work was the swipe gestures for Windows 8. I even installed the Boot Camp Support Software.

I'm using a mid 2013 MacBook Air.

Rojoyinc

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Forget this guide and just use the bootcamp assistent. Windows install was a bit buggy in the beginning. Now it seems to work.
Make the Flash stick. Let bootcamp reboot and just follow the instructions. Format the prepared partition and install.

you obviously don't have our problem then.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I have installed 8.1 (without installing 8 first) on my old (early 09') iMac a few times without issues using various methods but today I needed to reinstall and used the OP's method.

It worked fine except for me it didn't require to manually select Windows on each boot up, it always defaulted to starting the BootCamp partition.

-Each time it reboots you will need to intervene by pressing option but from now on select the Windows device with the picture of the hard drive. It is a silver color

In fact, when I installed BootCamp5, when I entered its control panel, under Start Up Disk the BootCamp partition was already the default.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
As a side note; for anyone having issues with Windows 8.1 not going into Sleep mode automatically (even if you can force Sleep on demand) try leaving the Homegroup.

I had such a tough time troubleshooting this one, especially since I had no issues with 8 going to sleep; it seems 8.1 introduced it for many users (not just Mac users). There are many solutions written online about it but the one that worked for me was to Leave the Homegroup (in Control Panel).

djcb2k

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
Don't works the install

Hello all people.
I did the steps complete:

Just wanted to share step-by-step instructions of how to install Windows 8.1 using Bootcamp on Mavericks. After failing once and finding the solutions below, it actually worked. Just follow each step below and you will be able to install Windows 8.1 with no problems at all. Hope this helps....

-Create USB stick using Apple Bootcamp Assistant. This procedure only works with it.

-When it Bootamp assitant reboots your machine you need to interrupt the installation.

-When you hear the startup sound, hold option until it presents you with login options.

-Select your Macintosh HD to boot back into OSX.

-Run Disk Utility, select the Macintosh then choose the partitions tab.

-The BOOTCAMP partition should be at the bottom. Select this partition by clicking on it. Ensure it is the highlighted partition then press minus to remove it.

-Click apply on the bottom right to make the changes.

-Now press plus to add a new partition which will likely be names Macintosh HD2

-Select this new partition then you can define the settings on the right.

-Rename this to BOOTCAMP.

-Change the type to ExFAT.

-Now click apply on the again to make the changes.

-Reboot you Mac, press option again during the boot and this time select the Windows device with the USB logo on it. Its orange.

-Now it will start the install process. When it gets to the list of partition you should see four of them. You want the last one. It will say it cannot install on this.

-Make sure the fourth partition is selected then click format. When it is done the error message should be gone and you should be able to continue.

-During install it will suggest turning on auto updates. I recommend you turn this off until the bootcamp drivers are installed. When it is finished prepping the install it will reboot.

-Each time it reboots you will need to intervene by pressing option but from now on select the Windows device with the picture of the hard drive. It is a silver color

-It will reboot two or three times during the install. Each time you will need press option during boot to reselect the Windows device on the hard drive.

-At the end of the installation it will prompt you to install the Apple Bootcamp Drivers.

And also i did this:

Forget this guide and just use the bootcamp assistent. Windows install was a bit buggy in the beginning. Now it seems to work.
Make the Flash stick. Let bootcamp reboot and just follow the instructions. Format the prepared partition and install.

I did all the steps. I had Win8.0 2 days ago and i deleted the boocamp partition to reinstall and create a new partition with win8.1.

What's the error?
I have an MacBook Pro Early 2011 13" Mavericks 10.9.2

Attachments

• Error instalacion win 8 en mac.jpg
    Error instalacion win 8 en mac.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,119

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
do you have a usb2 flash drive? if so, you don't need to do this. just follow the standard boot camp instructions.

thebfg

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2014
Formatting the entire partition

I installed Windows 8 on my MBP and tried to update it to 8.1 but it was a VL copy so it didn't work. I downloaded an ISO off the internet of 8.1 and made a bootable USB drive. Everything goes the way it is supposed to. But when I reach the where to install menu, it formats the entire partition and it becomes an NTFS partition and it shows the GBR error. Sure enough when I checked disk utility the partition was renamed to untitled.
What is the solution for this?
Thanks!

P.S. I am following the solution given by this thread

Chaola

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
Just a little word to thank you.
It's been something like 6 hours now that I'm trying to install Windows. Always got the stupid "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition" error.

With your way to do it, it works perfectly!

(iMac Late 2013, with a splitted 3TB Fusion Drive (which might be the case of the troubles...))

WaltCD

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Windows 8.1 via Boot Camp Assistant

I had a downloaded ISO of Windows 8.1
Using Boot Camp Assistant, I installed the ISO to a USB drive and it continued to install Windows.

After install, all of the drivers were not installed (including Wi-Fi and trackpad features). On the USB was a folder called BootCamp. I ran the setup.exe file there, and it installed all of my drivers perfectly.

Walt D in LV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.