Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Anyone else have this issue? If I delete Spotify and re-download, it will run once and then when I relaunch it, it crashes every time. This has been happening since B2. I'm guessing it's just Spotify needs to update their app?

HarryT

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
Anyone else have this issue? If I delete Spotify and re-download, it will run once and then when I relaunch it, it crashes every time. This has been happening since B2. I'm guessing it's just Spotify needs to update their app?

They won't update it until later iOS 8 betas or public release. Think about it it's a beta and they are still testing iOS 8 themselves.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I definitely do not have that problem. I have a 5S and I've been using iOS 8 since 6/2 when beta 1 was available. I don't use spotify terribly often... maybe once a week or so, but I've had no problems with it when I do use it. I hadn't tried with beta 4, but I just opened it and started playing a song, then I stopped the song and force closed spotify and I was able to open it again and play another song.

For what it's worth, I don't have a premium account... I just use it for the free radio function. It's possible that it's a problem with their paid service.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Interesting that others don't have any issues. Yes, I'm aware that it's a Beta and things may not work. I was just wondering how widespread it might be.

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
There are some problems with third party music player apps.

Try force closing the app and trying it again.

It's really an annoying bug (or maybe an API change).

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Spotify is fine on the rMini.

Every iOS beta breaks music players in the weirdest way. iOS 6 totaled Pandora for me (but then again Pandora is already an awful app).

parisi2274

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010

I am on a 5S, AT&T, using iOS8 Beta 4 and I have had no issues with Spotify. Every time I launch it, it works just fine.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I am on a 5S, AT&T, using iOS8 Beta 4 and I have had no issues with Spotify. Every time I launch it, it works just fine.

Same setup here. Spotify runs once and then no more. I have to delete the app and re-install only to be able to run it once. Very strange. I was hoping B3/4 would fix it but nope.

TKOinLA

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
Los Angeles
I have a premium Spotify account and used to run Spotify for hours on iOS7.

On iOS8 v3 and v4 the battery burns up very fast and the phone heats up like a hot iron.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Same setup here. Spotify runs once and then no more. I have to delete the app and re-install only to be able to run it once. Very strange. I was hoping B3/4 would fix it but nope.
Exact same setup and no issues. I use Spotify daily on my drive to work and my drive from work. I've experienced no crashing so far. (It's also a premium account which I login using FB credentials, in case the login session is the issue)

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Exact same setup and no issues. I use Spotify daily on my drive to work and my drive from work. I've experienced no crashing so far. (It's also a premium account which I login using FB credentials, in case the login session is the issue)

Interesting. It really sucks it stops working. The only difference is I am not using a fb login.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Did you setup your phone as new or update from a previous beta? I seem to have FAR FAR fewer issues when I set up my phone as new and do not upgrade or restore from a backup.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Did you setup your phone as new or update from a previous beta? I seem to have FAR FAR fewer issues when I set up my phone as new and do not upgrade or restore from a backup.

Restore. Have never done new. I would lose all my messages.

kryptonkid07

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Houston, TX
I have a few issues with Spotify when I'm switching songs or trying to look at other playlists while music is playing.

I had a problem with Spotify during the iOS 7 beta and the work around was to download 'Spotify for iOS 4' on the App Store. It's a very basic Spotify player, but I haven't tested it for iOS 8. If it messes up on me a few more times I'll have to resort to that instead.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Just updated to the new beta. Spotify still acting up. Won't run but once. :(

vra24

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
I'm using a 5 and have had no problems with crashing. Worked fine on beta 1&2 but then started getting really hot and draining the battery. Today's update fixed the heat/battery drain. The only other problem I have is when I'm in the Now Playing screen if I go into the menu to add the song to a playlist or star it when it goes back to the album art there are no other buttons. It's just the album art.

kryptonkid07

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Houston, TX
I'm using a 5 and have had no problems with crashing. Worked fine on beta 1&2 but then started getting really hot and draining the battery. Today's update fixed the heat/battery drain. The only other problem I have is when I'm in the Now Playing screen if I go into the menu to add the song to a playlist or star it when it goes back to the album art there are no other buttons. It's just the album art.

I've had this problem since beta 4. I haven't tried it on beta 5.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I have the same problem sometimes since beta 1, after beta updates i know 100% i have to delete and download the spotify app again in order to use it and if spotify updates the app its the same for me :) your not alone.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I have the same problem sometimes since beta 1, after beta updates i know 100% i have to delete and download the spotify app again in order to use it and if spotify updates the app its the same for me :) your not alone.

Phew - good to know! The suggestions so far have been to setup as new. Not doing that.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Phew - good to know! The suggestions so far have been to setup as new. Not doing that.

Exactly, it doesn't bother me that much to setup as new, either way that route never solved anything for me.

Eventually they will fix it closer to the final release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.