Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2013
Problems here

Was prompted to restart to finish installing updates, which should've tipped me off, and now I get no login screen (running Titan Blacks). Prop ably was the 10.9.4 update and now I don't have the compatible NVIDIA driver. Can't boot into the recovery petition either because the Blacks don't work at all without the NVIDIA driver. Argh. I'm sick of pulling these cards out and putting them back in.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Everything is running great on my 5,1 with 7870 :)

Also running great with my XFX 7870!

Can I ask what exact model you have? I'm considering getting a:

"FX-787A-CDFC" (XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...NDBlMzFl&turntosku=N82E16814150605#turntodone

And I'm curious if it'll work "out of the box" in my early 2008 Mac Pro (3,1), including giving me the Apple boot screen (and ability to hold Option key to select boot drive).

Thanks!!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
And I'm curious if it'll work "out of the box" in my early 2008 Mac Pro (3,1), including giving me the Apple boot screen (and ability to hold Option key to select boot drive).

I don't think so. This is a PC card, you have to flash it in order to get the boot screen. AFAIK, there is no native HD7870 Mac Edition card, all of them are flashed card.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
I don't think so. This is a PC card, you have to flash it in order to get the boot screen. AFAIK, there is no native HD7870 Mac Edition card, all of them are flashed card.
Oh, I am aware that there is no Mac Edition of the card, but there are (at least I think so, based on netkas reading) lots of PC cards that behave 100% like Mac Edition cards in Mavericks.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Oh, I am aware that there is no Mac Edition of the card, but there are (at least I think so, based on netkas reading) lots of PC cards that behave 100% like Mac Edition cards in Mavericks.

That's absolutely true... minus the boot screen. Once booted, most PC cards perform flawlessly under OS X. You would need a flashed AMD or card with Mac ROM to get the boot screen. I keep an old GT120 handy in case I need to boot into recovery or windows, otherwise I don't notice it anymore.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
That's absolutely true... minus the boot screen. Once booted, most PC cards perform flawlessly under OS X. You would need a flashed AMD or card with Mac ROM to get the boot screen. I keep an old GT120 handy in case I need to boot into recovery or windows, otherwise I don't notice it anymore.
Gah, the only thing I need is the ability to hold down the option key and get the "which drive do you want to boot from?" screen.

For some reason, my Bootcamp drive doesn't show in the Boot Disk selector in OS X, and my OS X drive (home-grown Fusion drive) doesn't show up in the Boot Disk selector in Windows 7. And I go back and forth all the time (for gaming purposes).

Grumble...

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Gah, the only thing I need is the ability to hold down the option key and get the "which drive do you want to boot from?" screen.

For some reason, my Bootcamp drive doesn't show in the Boot Disk selector in OS X, and my OS X drive (home-grown Fusion drive) doesn't show up in the Boot Disk selector in Windows 7. And I go back and forth all the time (for gaming purposes).

Grumble...

Same here, there's nothing you can do within OS X because the firmware runs the video drivers for your boot screen. You could always get a new mac pro :cool:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Did you install something like Paragon NTFS? If yes, you should choose the "set as startup" in the NTFS preference, but not the "startup disk" under system preference.

Anyway, if you need the boot manager + the card works out of the box (from manufacture) + good for gaming. Your choice is either the EVGA GTX680 or Sapphire HD7950, these 2 card have Mac Edition and fit your needs, but they are much more expensive than the PC version.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Did you install something like Paragon NTFS? If yes, you should choose the "set as startup" in the NTFS preference, but not the "startup disk" under system preference.
Ah, I have an NTFS driver installed (not Paragon, maybe Fuse?), I'll check that out. I understand why Windows can't see the Mac drive (fusion drive), but I figured OS X should be able to see the Windows drive easily enough. Thanks!

Anyway, if you need the boot manager + the card works out of the box (from manufacture) + good for gaming. Your choice is either the EVGA GTX680 or Sapphire HD7950, these 2 card have Mac Edition and fit your needs, but they are much more expensive than the PC version.
I'm more than comfortable flashing a card (I've had a flashed XFX 4870 1GB since 2009), I just need to find a good deal on a card that actually has a Mac ROM for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.