Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I can use iMessage to send texts to other iPhone/Apple users but cannot send texts to Android users.

I thought I should be able to do this since I am using Sprint's network... not just WiFi

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Right now, the iPad only sends iMessages, not standard text messages. This is supposed to change with iOS 8.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Right now, the iPad only sends iMessages, not standard text messages. This is supposed to change with iOS 8.
The ability to send regular texts (SMS texts) with an iPad running iOS 8 or a Mac running OS X 10.10 depends on having an iPhone running iOS 8. As far as I understand it, the texts will ultimately be relayed through your iPhone, which has the connection to the cellular network. If you don't have an iPhone, you won't be able to send SMS texts.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
The ability to send regular texts (SMS texts) with an iPad running iOS 8 or a Mac running OS X 10.10 depends on having an iPhone running iOS 8. As far as I understand it, the texts will ultimately be relayed through your iPhone, which has the connection to the cellular network. If you don't have an iPhone, you won't be able to send SMS texts.

That sounds familiar.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

Guess I'm good then. 5s here too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.