Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
On my dad's Mac mini I want to create a WiFi network so I can use my iPad/iPhone when I'm at his house. His Mac mini is connected by ethernet cable. Steps below:

1) System Preferences>Network>click on Wi-Fi>click Turn Wi-Fi On tab> Create Network...
2) Says "Wi-Fi has a self assigned IP address 16.xxx.xxx.xxx and will not be able to connect to the Internet" (Internet Sharing:On).

Doing this completely kills the Internet connection. Even if I turn off Wi-Fi I must reboot the Mac to get the Ethernet to connect. What am I doing wrong?

I have an older Linksys Router/Wi-Fi hooked up and this works. Just trying to remove it if unnecessary.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Why Not Use the Router?

Okay Julien, it sounds like you want to – share – an Internet connection from your dad’s Mac mini through WiFi so that your iPad/iPhone can have speedy web access at his house.

The Linksys Router/WiFi could be a key component of your setup. Most folks don’t share through their computers to get WiFi for personal devices. The most common wireless network topography (structure) has the router connected to the Internet and everything else connected to the router by Ethernet or WiFi.

Do you want instead to “broadcast” Internet from that Mac mini through Wifi directly to the iPad/iPhone devices? If so, it seems as if you would need the Mac mini to act as a router. That might not be the ideal setup. With a regular router, Internet access does not require any other components to be turned on. Do you really want to fiddle with the Mac mini every time that you use the iPad?

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Okay Julien, it sounds like you want to – share – an Internet connection from your dad’s Mac mini through WiFi so that your iPad/iPhone can have speedy web access at his house.

The Linksys Router/WiFi could be a key component of your setup. Most folks don’t share through their computers to get WiFi for personal devices. The most common wireless network topography (structure) has the router connected to the Internet and everything else connected to the router by Ethernet or WiFi.

Do you want instead to “broadcast” Internet from that Mac mini through Wifi directly to the iPad/iPhone devices? If so, it seems as if you would need the Mac mini to act as a router. That might not be the ideal setup. With a regular router, Internet access does not require any other components to be turned on. Do you really want to fiddle with the Mac mini every time that you use the iPad?
Thanks, I was just trying to eliminate the Linksys. My dad doesn't use and one less thing to cause problems. I will keep it because it seems that you can't use the Mac's built in WiFi as a "router WiFi.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Think shouldn't rather than "can't"

OS X has features that will allow you to use the computer as a router.
http://www.macinstruct.com/node/118

Perhaps you should consider instead whether a real router would be a better option than the Mac mini.

What are some specific reasons for removing the router? Simplicity is good but routers are not usually very troublesome. Once a router is configured, they generally just sit there and work. Removing the faucet from your kitchen sink would make the plumbing simpler and easier to maintain. Toting water to the kitchen from another source (such as a restroom) for drinks, washing, and cooking would reveal the folly of that “improvement” in hours.

Last edited:

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Did You Do It?

Say Julien, what did you finally do about your Wifi choice? I hope that you viewed the link that niteflyr posted before you made your decision. According to the instructions from niteflyer's link and my recent experience the "1) System Preferences>Network>click on Wi-Fi>click Turn Wi-Fi On tab> Create Network..." procedure that you tried last month was incorrect!

A few days ago a system change forced me to configure a temporary Wifi network based on my Mac mini. It took me less that five minutes to cover my entire residence with signal!

Check out the nifty Wifi icon. I don't intend to leave it this way but the Sharing based Wifi solution works fine in a pinch.

Attachments

• Mac_Router-01.png
    Mac_Router-01.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 311

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
That is Probably Best

Do you really want to fiddle with the Mac mini every time that you use the iPad?

Although it turned out that you don't have to "fiddle with the Mac" this Wifi sharing strategy does turn your green machine into a slightly thirsty power zombie.

My Mac does not sleep with the router function activated. I do not have to fiddle with the computer because it is always on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.