Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
I have a mini display port to VGA adapter connecting to a Vga monitor which works fine, but I also have a HDMI to VGA adapter connected to the same PC but for some reason the monitor stays on standby and doesn't load.
If I connect the monitor that's staying on standby to the mini display port adapter and the other VGA to the HDMI, again the mini display port monitor works and the HDMI still doesn't.

The mac detects that another monitor as been added and the model of the monitor, but button on monitor stays yellow in standby.

I tried the adapter with another mac which also has a MDP > VGA adapter and it worked fine, seems to be something with my setup?

Any ideas?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I tried several different methods on my mini, to get HDMI to VGA.
I could not find any adapter/converter that worked (without spending nearly $200, which I was trying to avoid :D )
I now have (and it works perfectly) mDP to VGA (connecting to an older video projector), and HDMI to DVI on my main display.
Do you have DVI available on either of your displays?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I really wonder what monitor you have. Only a bunch of low quality TN monitors from the early years of LCD (>7 years old) came with VGA only connectors.
Are you sure it does not have a DVI connector? Neither of the 2 screens?
If both have them, get 2 DVI cables at once. They are only like 5 bucks (HDMI-DVI or MDP-DVI).

Manesh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
I have tried the hdmi>VGA adapter on a VGA display on another Mac mini, and it's worked fine. It's just this Mac mini it doesn't seem to like?! I tried 2 VGA monitors and neither appear, though the mac detects that they are detected.
:S confused!!!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have seen some video adapters that may work OK on one computer, but do not work on a different computer, with similar response to what you are reporting.
Try a different adapter. (I also had difficulties in getting HDMI to VGA to work on my mini, but went to DVI instead)

You may ask why the HDMI to VGA adapter seemed to work on another mini?
I can't answer that, but I do know that the HDMI to VGA does not function properly on different Macs, and likely has something to do with the active components that may not always match up electrically between the video output and the display in use.

Does your display have a DVI or other input, in addition to the VGA input?
You may have better luck by trying a different input, such as DVI (and that will need a different adapter, too)

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
It's likely the HDMI port only sends a digital signal. You can't use a simple HDMI to VGA adapter because there's no analogue video via HDMI. It's a similar situation using a DVI to VGA cable with my own Mac Mini via a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter. I had to buy a dedicated Displayport to VGA adapter instead and use the DVI adapter with my DVI monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.