Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rasutton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and very new to Mac. I recently got a Macbook pro (Early 2011 13') from a friend, who spilled some water on the back (somewhere around the power button I believe) and it never turned back on. They were able to wipe it down, open it and get most of the water they saw. I think they've tried to power it up between then by jumping the powerpads which didn't work. The power button doesn't work at all. If you plug in the Magsafe power adapter, it turns green and then yellow to charge. The battery status bar is green and it's fully charged now.

*At the same time, there is a looping of events in which the sleep indicator light blinks on the front every 8 seconds or so, the fan runs for about 2 seconds and quits, while there's a 'clicking' sound from around the hard drive at the same time the light blinks on the front.*

I plan to take the logic board out and thoroughly clean with some 99% iso-propyl alcohol and a toothbrush to remove any corrosion I can. Has anyone come across this before? Is the logic board fried?

I can upload pictures/video in a bit when I get home. Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate you all!

gerikerschi

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
Hi,

open the Macbook and clean it with a PCB cleaner.
Then check the SMC current on the G3Hot pad.

BR
Geri

LisaGMO

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
Mac Pro - Corrosion on Motherboard

I, too, have corrosion on the motherboard. I can, almost, swear with certainty that I never have gotten it near water! It's so expensive I have taken extra care with it. It has been sitting on my desk, unused, for months. (I couldn't use it to logon to work, so I abandoned it for awhile.) Today, when I tried to power it up, nothing.... I left it connected to the power source for hours, then tried again, nothing. So, since I do work with computers in my job, I opened the back and there is corrosion in various places across the motherboard. My only explanation is the humidity that is inherent in the midwest?? Darn. I did use alcohol and dabbed at the corrosion, but still nothing happens. I saw someone's suggestion, but am not familiar with the term...

I suppose, like with PC's, I can have the hard drive removed and data copied? It seems a shame that this computer that costs 3 or 4 times the other PC's that I own corrodes?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My only explanation is the humidity that is inherent in the midwest??

I've spent time in South Dakota and Wisconsin during the late summer and the humidity isn't bad enough to cause corrosion. Something must have been spilled on the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.