Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nerdreaper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
so I just did this myself as i just purchased a unibody macbook/macbook pro unsure what to call it (I'm usually a PC guy)

basically I had purchased it knowing it did not have a working airport card the rest of the machine works perfectly nothing wrong with it has 4gb's ddr3 ram nvidia graphics etc.

now to the good news i was to impatient to wait for a new airport card in the mail from the usual ebay reseller etc.... so i took the airport card out from the bottom of the screen and did the old video card trick. I put it in my oven in a pan wrapped in tin foil and pre heated the oven to 375 degrees and left it in for 15 mins. I installed the card back into my macbook put it all back together and booted up anyways long story short the airport card works great again and I'm currently using the macbook on my home wifi to type this took me a whole 30 mins from tear down to put back together and it works great

If you have a macbook with a bad airport card give this a try if you are tech savy and have nothing left to lose to get your macbook back up and running on the internet this is a good way to do it in my experience.

please comment below to confirm it worked for you if you would like I registered just to see what my other options were but i tried this and it works great!

nerdreaper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Haha well its true I did the old solder reflow method works great and yes 375 degrees works for it even though it is lead free. Basically the airport extreme cards over heat a lot......and the chip slides like a traditional video card. It has a really poor heat spread since it's got a rubbery thermal compound on a piece of aluminum to spread the heat out so I'm thinking a piece of copper on the chip could help fix that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.