Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimMurray24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Hi

I just got my new charger shipped over to me in Fiji. So its been a bit voer a month since I have used my macbook air.

When i charged my laptop, the light was green.

This is the basic i know of my macbook air -
1. the light will be red WHILE it is charging
2. when it is FULLY CHARGED than only will the light turn green

Perhaps, the light is green when it is plugged in because the battery is SO FLAT?

Please Help
Suggestions

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Hi

I just got my new charger shipped over to me in Fiji. So its been a bit voer a month since I have used my macbook air.

When i charged my laptop, the light was green.

This is the basic i know of my macbook air -
1. the light will be red WHILE it is charging
2. when it is FULLY CHARGED than only will the light turn green

Perhaps, the light is green when it is plugged in because the battery is SO FLAT?

Please Help
Suggestions

Hi,

Your post is a bit confusing. It sounds like the light is green, even when your battery is not fully charged. I also have no idea what you mean by "so flat".

Either way, the charger light is sometimes finicky. The best way to tell what is going on is to look at the Battery Usage Information bar at the top right-hand corner of the screen. If it has a little lightning bolt going through the battery, it is charging. If it has a little male connector on the battery, the charger is plugged in but not charging.

If your computer is not at full charge and has a green light, remove the charger from your laptop and plug it back in again. If that does not work, unplug the charger from the wall, and plug it back in again. If that does not work, try a different outlet.

Best,
Matt

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
I agree about the light, it can be funny sometimes. Mine's sometimes green when it's not full, or even not lighted up at all.

I do notice it often goes green first then turn orange after a few seconds.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I think the amber light is when it is fast charging. After it gets close to full charge, the charger tapers off the charge rate and the light turns green.

This is what I am seeing on mine

skinny*k

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
California
If its a genuine Apple charger, it should work the way you think it will, but if its a fake—not Apple—it won't, and most of those just tell you, with a green LED, that the "charger" is powered-up.

On Apple's MagSafe connector there is a circuit board that communicates with the laptop, to regulate the charging process and control the LED; the fakes don't have that.

If you have access to a multimeter, you can check the output of the "charger"—it isn't really a charger, its just a power supply; the charging circuitry is in the laptop. If you measure more than six volts between pins 1 and 2 (or 4 and 5) it is not an Apple charger, and the LED will never tell you anything useful. If its a fake, I recommend that you get an Apple "charger.'

If its an Apple charger, you can disregard my post.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
Mine goes green for about 3 seconds when first connected regardless of battery charge. After those first few seconds it switches to orange to indicate it is charging. I'm assuming it does this as a test of the charging components?

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
My MBA charger turns green for a few seconds as well, then turns amber for charging. I do have trouble when my MBA is connected to my 27" ACD's charger via the MagSafe II Adapter from Apple. That thing is REALLY buggy. It hardly lights at all and doesn't charge the MBA half the time. It lights a very dull green if at all. Apple REALLY messed up with the MagSafe II adapter (and I bought it at an Apple store).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.