Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
The current iPhones and iPads don't seem to have a cutout like that, at least as far as I can tell on mine. If it is, it's VERY finely sealed so as to look stamped with no seam, but I doubt it. So are they planning to have some kind of insert in the Apple logo?

boechat

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Man im going to stick with my Mini Retina ipad for damn too long
I think tablets wont get better for me, i can do anything with my slate

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
would love to see an iPad that can boot between OSX or iOS or perhaps boots to OSX with an 'app' in the dock that runs iOS inside it full screen and can be set to open on startup.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Still 1GB memory?

0 GB in the shell, which is all the article is about.

There's no reason to believe that the next shipping device will still have 1 GB of memory unless you believe that Apple never increases ram size. If that was the case, we'd still have the 128 MB of RAM that the original iPhone had or the 256 MB that the original iPad had. The iPhone has seen 3 memory increases in its lifetime, and the iPad has had 2 increases. By either measure of frequency, it seems like this iteration will likely feature a bump to at least 2 GB, especially considering that they went to 64 bit processors last year, so this years processor upgrade should be less dramatic and they'll look for improvements elsewhere.

I can't wait for 2 GB idevices to arrive. Not because they're necessarily needed, but just so people will stop complaining about having only 1 GB of RAM and Apple never upgrading it. Of course, next year people will just complain about only having 2 GB of ram, and that Apple never upgrades ram, but at least we'll get a year off from the complaints (hopefully).

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
would love to see an iPad that can boot between OSX or iOS or perhaps boots to OSX with an 'app' in the dock that runs iOS inside it full screen and can be set to open on startup.

That sounds absolutely amazing. I'd pay the price of MacBook for that. Apple make this happen!

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
how much longer before their devices get so thin they might just break by looking at them?

+++1

Thinness was a good goal to improve Ipad1.

I think they have arrived. Shaving thousands of an inch is pointless; the current incarnation is already on the edge of being too thin and flexible.

Why does EVERY prediction of the next iPad talk about "thinner". Is that what the masses want? A thinner pad? Something that flexes and creaks?

You got extra room in the case? Make the battery bigger for crying out loud.

klamzi

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2014
Maybe it's just me but I don't see anything interesting going on with Ipad. I was hopping for oled screen but so far nothing good is known.
Better spec and fingerprint is not so promising.
Videos will not look better or play better pages will not load much faster very disappointed. :(

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
In a couple years we'll see front facing speakers that take the place of the bezels...

Wonderful for when you're grabbing it landscape as most people do. I'm sure you'll get a nice hand massage.

there's a reason why tablets don't have front facing speakers.

Try to hold this in landscape. give me a break.

nvidia-shield-tablet.jpg

----------

The only way I'd consider an iPad is if it merged with OSX and provided a desktop mode.

That's called a MacBook Air. It comes with a keyboard and you don't have to wonder how to press enter to send a message without touching the screen.

ipad_air_macbook_air_fake_mockup_hero_fixed.jpg

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
One thing that worries me with many of these part leaks, one thing many of them have in common. The hands in the photos all don't practice good hand washing and grooming hygiene. A little off topic but it bothers me.

Back on topic, that shell looks really good. If I was in the market for a new iPad I'd get one. But my 4th Gen will last for quite a few years yet.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The current iPhones and iPads don't seem to have a cutout like that, at least as far as I can tell on mine. If it is, it's VERY finely sealed so as to look stamped with no seam, but I doubt it. So are they planning to have some kind of insert in the Apple logo?

The current models have the cutout. And yes, the seam is astonishingly precise.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
+++1

Thinness was a good goal to improve Ipad1.

I think they have arrived. Shaving thousands of an inch is pointless; the current incarnation is already on the edge of being too thin and flexible.

Why does EVERY prediction of the next iPad talk about "thinner". Is that what the masses want? A thinner pad? Something that flexes and creaks?

You got extra room in the case? Make the battery bigger for crying out loud.
If it gets thin and light enough, then it won't have to be so rigid. Someday tablets will be thin like poster board. Perhaps a user switch will allow you to toggle between semi-rigid, so you can pass it around, and flexible, so you can roll it up and put it in your pocket.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The only people who buy iPads now are first timers (very few) and people who have their iPad break (very few). Otherwise, Apple provides zero reason to upgrade.

:apple:

According to who? I happily ditched my 3rd gen iPad for the iPad Air. The weight reduction alone was worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.