Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
It appears that the Tempo card comes with an "extender plate to mount second SSD" in the package.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossd.html#
Package Contents
Tempo SSD 6Gb/s SATA PCIe 2.0 Drive Card for SSDs
Extension plate (for mounting second SSD)
Plate and drive mounting screws
Documentation

Note: SSDs sold separately

The downloadable manual also shows the plate attached
http://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/manuals/tempo_ssd_qsg.pdf

The do have a new Tempo Pro Plus which appears to be the same as the old dual drive one with the addition of 2 external eSATA ports on the mounting bracket.

-howard

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
I saw that but it also says that the max speed is 660mb/s which is way slower than other numbers I read on here for the pro version.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I saw that but it also says that the max speed is 660mb/s which is way slower than other numbers I read on here for the pro version.

It shows the Tempo as having a PCIe 2.0 x2 interface, while the Tempo Pro has a PCIe 2.0 x4 interface. That may be the reason for the speed limitation on the Tempo card.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
I just purchased the pro from owc...any idea what block size i should use...mostly working with 5-10gb video files..

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I just purchased the pro from owc...any idea what block size i should use...mostly working with 5-10gb video files..

I just used the default when I set mine up some time ago ... didn't really know at the time. I would think a larger block size would be good, you might get a better idea from some of the video guys who frequent this board.

I wonder if Sonnet has resolved the issues of booting Windows on a Mac with this new version of the card. I initially wanted to have one SSD for OS X and the other for Windows on the previous version card, but quickly found out that Windows would not boot on a Mac from that card ... with or without OS X also present on the card. They are kind of cagey in the specs regarding Windows compatibility with only a Windows (BIOS) computer or a Mac Pro.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
No, they didn't fix it yet. No boot manager, and can't boot Windows from it.

Dang ... I would get one of the new Pro PLUS boards if they fixed that issue, and the 2 eSATA ports would be nice as well (although they appear to share the same controllers as the attached drives). :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.