Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
No but there is a lot to moan about.

----------

Maybe so, can't say I've ever had an emotional attachment to my computer but I guess some people might. I hate sentimentality in adverts. It's lazy and just tells me they have nothing interesting to say about the product.

Who is this ad aimed at? 10 year old girls? Seems like it to me.

Are you kidding? Ads that touch on emotion are all over the TV. You must know you're in a minority?

livit

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
So...where exactly do you get these stickers?

You can buy stickers all over the place. Beware of some of the cheap ones from China though, quality can differ a lot.

I actually try to make a living out of doing stickers myself, and I would love if you would consider some of my work.

Coming to think of it, I'd be happy to throw in a MacRumors discount.
Type in "MacRumors" at the end and you'll get a 20% discount.
I'll let it run for 7 days, and shipping is free as well.

Get it here: http://www.makeitstick.co

Hope you find something you like.
Here's a personal favorite I've made.

PbnPx5c.jpg

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
You can buy stickers all over the place. Beware of some of the cheap ones from China though, quality can differ a lot.

I actually try to make a living out of doing stickers myself, and I would love if you would consider some of my work.

That is fantastic.

As is this:

http://makeitstick.co/collections/13/products/spider-pig-13

I never wanted to put a sticker on my Macbook before, but there are some really good ones here.

One question, do they come off easily when I want to remove it? Does it leave any residue?

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
For the few folks who aren’t “getting it” and who probably need to take a basic marketing course to really understand why ads like this are effective [for a brand like Apple], the post below is a good primer :)

Hmmm, I just turned 50 and I have a Snoopy and Woodstock sticker on one of my MacBook Pros. Helps me distinguish it from the other MacBookPro I often have open side by side. Still deciding on a decal for that one.

What you call "sentimentality" other people call "establishing a product as a lifestyle brand" and not just a random hunk of boring hardware. Basically, it says people who use non-Apple computers aren't as passionate about them and don't see them as anything more interesting as a generic hammer. Certainly nothing they would accessorize to make them more publicly custom and a statement of the owner's personality and interests. There are people who just see their car as a means to get from point A to point B and other people who like to trick them out because they love the car and want it to represent their personality. Other people dress their pets or get a tattoo. When a product does that, it helps create product loyalty.

:cool:

livit

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
That is fantastic.

As is this:

http://makeitstick.co/collections/13/products/spider-pig-13

I never wanted to put a sticker on my Macbook before, but there are some really good ones here.

One question, do they come off easily when I want to remove it? Does it leave any residue?

Some stickers does leave traces, but I've selected my materials not to.
Trust me, I've tested extensively as well as gone through dozens of different brands.

It's super easy to remove, you just peel them off with your hands, don't think it could be any easier.

I've done my own versions of some of the stickers in the commercial, so they've been added since you last visited the site, maybe one will suit you.

http://makeitstick.co/collections/13/products/donut-13

http://makeitstick.co/collections/13/products/heisenberg-13

http://makeitstick.co/collections/13/products/free-13

Free:

NYLdgap.png

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
No but there is a lot to moan about.

----------

Maybe so, can't say I've ever had an emotional attachment to my computer but I guess some people might. I hate sentimentality in adverts. It's lazy and just tells me they have nothing interesting to say about the product.

Who is this ad aimed at? 10 year old girls? Seems like it to me.

The kind of ads you propose sound a lot like soviet cars commercials to me, I don't why. Apple is just about design and design is inherently sentiment

If you don't care about design and "girly" stuff like that then you are not the target.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This is pretty fun :)

Mike Wehner @ TUAW said:
Putting stickers on your MacBook is cool. I know this because the majority of you told me you're totally cool with it in a recent poll. Oh, and also because Apple just ran a TV ad showing just how amazing your MacBook can look with a little bit of vinyl applied.

If you saw something you liked on that fast-moving ad, you're in luck because I did the legwork of searching for every funky sticker that made an appearance. Well, ok, not every sticker -- I ignored the section of the ad with the generic music stickers -- but every sticker you probably care about. All 74 of them.

Not every sticker Apple shown is actually available for purchase... anywhere. Others are clearly inspired by decals you can buy, but they're not exactly the same. Apple definitely fabricated some of these specifically for the ad itself, but others are available for you to buy right this minute.

I've listed all of them, and noted their status. If there is a sticker similar to the one shown in the commercial, I've linked it. If not, I've linked an alternative for most that has a similar theme. Enjoy.

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/07/23/i-searched-for-all-71-of-the-stickers-in-apples-new-ad-so-you-d

iPhilPHX

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

I'm LOVING the coffee sticker.... Very nice work on all of them.

Edit: As a matter of fact, I just ordered it:D

Last edited:

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA

HA! I went to your site from a link in someone else's quote and bought the Newton one. Went to this original post to tell you I like your stickers and found out it's one of your favorites. Too funny. I really like your interactions with the Apple. Great job!

livit

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
HA! I went to your site from a link in someone else's quote and bought the Newton one. Went to this original post to tell you I like your stickers and found out it's one of your favorites. Too funny. I really like your interactions with the Apple. Great job!

Thank you so much!
Please, if you have any ideas for other stuff I could do, please throw it up.
Some of my best sticker ideas comes from customers.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Thank you so much!
Please, if you have any ideas for other stuff I could do, please throw it up.
Some of my best sticker ideas comes from customers.

Here's a few off the top of my head. Don't know if they are original ideas, probably not, lol.

A flying dragon carrying the apple in its claw

A character that looks like Gollum holding it longingly (his precious, lol).

I loved the game Portal so a figure jumping into the Apple and coming out the other side (half going in the Apple and the front half coming out somewhere else on the cover).

The Apple as a moon of a planet that fills the lower edge of the cover. Similarly, one planet in an orbital diagram of all the planets or as the sun in the middle.

The Apple as one apple in a bowl of apples or assorted fruit.

The Apple coming out of a lake with ripples and a reflection.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Apple is becoming so different… and I like it. But I can't help feeling guilty because that's not what Steve wanted Apple to be :apple:

I actually don't agree with this. Apple has been a lot of things over the years and surprised people. The iPod surprised Apple fans, as did the iPhone. Apple has always had a fun side and changed their image to match the times. I see this as the same thing.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
Sticker Ad a Success...for Stickers

Whatever you may personally think of the ad...it's a success! From here:

Apple's latest television advertisement — which shows a number of MacBook Airs that have been customized by their owners with fanciful stickers — has reportedly been a boon for shops that sell the vinyl decals, with some receiving four times as many orders as they did before the ad's release.

As one does need an Apple laptop to properly feature such stickers, I think we can say that the ad is a success for Apple as well. :cool: It's that time of year when parents are likely to buy a new laptop or two for their going-back-to-school kids. And putting out this ad at this time, I think, is brilliant because all those students are likely to think "maybe a MacBook Air..." used or new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.