Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the fifth beta of iOS 8 to developers, two weeks after releasing the fourth beta update and two months since introducing the new mobile operating system at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

The update, build 12A4345d, is available through Apple's over-the-air updating mechanism on iOS devices and can also be downloaded via the iOS Developer Center. Apple has also released a new Apple TV software beta update that includes a redesigned UI.

iosbeta5.jpg
iOS 8 introduces a range of new features, including improved integration with OS X through Continuity, a Health app, Family Sharing features, interactive notifications, a new QuickType Keyboard and improvements to several apps like Safari, Mail, and Messages.

Each beta update thus far has brought refinements and additional features to iOS 8, with beta 4, for example, bringing a new Tips app and a redesigned Control Center, among other improvements. iOS 8 beta 5 adds new options for SMS Relay, new features in Health, and more. For a full list of the changes in beta 5, make sure to check out our iOS 8 beta 5 tidbits post.

Currently, iOS 8 is only available to registered developers, but the operating system is expected to be released to the public this fall after several beta iterations. We may be getting close to the end of the beta testing period, however, as one rumor has suggested iOS 8 beta 5 may be the final beta version while another indicates it's the second-to-last beta before a golden master.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 8 Beta 5 to Developers

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Given iOS 7's buggy release I'm not sure why they even bother with all the Betas - developers don't seem to pick up on many.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
I hope for a Yosemite release today too, the public release beta is way more buggy than previous ones, on my machine.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
They can't fix a 3rd party app. Only the people who make the app can do that.

not strictly true, if an app is broken because of a breaking change in an API that apple didn't intend, then a later beta might fix the API and the app with it. it's possible.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
not strictly true, if an app is broken because of a breaking change in an API that apple didn't intend, then a later beta might fix the API and the app with it. it's possible.

I suppose it's possible, but I'm not sure if this is because of some unexpected change in API. This is likely just because iOS 8 is going to behave differently and Facebook will release an update that will fix it.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I suppose it's possible, but I'm not sure if this is because of some unexpected change in API. This is likely just because iOS 8 is going to behave differently and Facebook will release an update that will fix it.

yeah, i've no idea about the particulars of the whatsapp and facebook bugs.

the beta process is a two way thing and a chance for developers to find and log bugs they find in the new framework. apple devs are very appreciative of this feedback on the apple dev forums. so it's not like the beta process is always for devs to change their apps according to apple's changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.