Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
This is super dumb of me...

I thought that the 5Ghz stuff just happened automagically, that like compatible devices would talk to the router (in this case a 4th Gen Airport Extreme) and the router and device would just use whatever was working best, like automatically go to 5Ghz if that was a stronger connection, or whatever.

Umm...so I think I may have been totally wrong about that?

Do you have to set the 5GHz network as a totally separate network with it's own SSID, and manually connect to it separately?

I remember there being a setting that's off by default that lets you name your 5GHz network in the Airport utility. There was a checkbox of some sort with it.

I wasn't sure what it meant, assumed I didn't want to check it/name it as I'd want it to just use both networks interchangeably...but now I'm thinking that's not how it works. I may have never actually been broadcasting a 5GHz network LOL

Frankly there's not a lot that seems to actually support 5GHz anyway, but this came up when I'm sitting here wondering if the 5GHz network support is worth paying $70 instead of $40 for a Roku...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I thought that the 5Ghz stuff just happened automagically, that like compatible devices would talk to the router (in this case a 4th Gen Airport Extreme) and the router and device would just use whatever was working best, like automatically go to 5Ghz if that was a stronger connection, or whatever.

Umm...so I think I may have been totally wrong about that?

Nope... you were correct. It works automatically.

Do you have to set the 5GHz network as a totally separate network with it's own SSID, and manually connect to it separately?

I remember there being a setting that's off by default that lets you name your 5GHz network in the Airport utility. There was a checkbox of some sort with it.

I wasn't sure what it meant, assumed I didn't want to check it/name it as I'd want it to just use both networks interchangeably...but now I'm thinking that's not how it works. I may have never actually been broadcasting a 5GHz network LOL

Ordinarily you would want to leave that UNchecked so the 2.4 and 5 both broadcast automatically over the same SSID.

Frankly there's not a lot that seems to actually support 5GHz anyway, but this came up when I'm sitting here wondering if the 5GHz network support is worth paying $70 instead of $40 for a Roku...

Do you get lag or video drop out now when using the Roku on 2.4?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Nope... you were correct. It works automatically.

Ordinarily you would want to leave that UNchecked so the 2.4 and 5 both broadcast automatically over the same SSID.

Thanks! I guess I was accidentally right the first time. I have no idea if anything's ever used that 5GHz network before or not lol.

Do you get lag or video drop out now when using the Roku on 2.4?

I actually don't have a Roku, but am buying one I guess as it's the only device with analog output (save for the last gen game consoles). The Roku 1 and Roku 2 seem to be identical except the 2 adds 5Ghz support...but considering they're both outdated and slow and the price goes from $40 to $70, I'm not sure that's worth it. (Not that price would normally be an issue with this stuff...I'd sooner buy a $100 Apple TV or Amazon Fire or Roku 3, but they don't support analog out.)

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
For whatever reason, for me the 2.4GHz signal is always 2..3dBm stronger than the 5GHz signal, so my laptop would always pick the 2.4GHz connection if I had them on same SSID.
To conquer that, I've specifically given them different names.
Helps also to insure that 5GHz is always selected when waking from sleep.
You can use the WiFi Scanner to evaluate your signal strength and S/N ratio.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 21.41.52.PNG
    Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 21.41.52.PNG
    58.6 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
For whatever reason, for me the 2.4GHz signal is always 2..3dB stronger than the 5GHz signal, so my laptop would always pick the 2.4GHz connection if I had them on same SSID.

What kind of laptop? My Retina MBP always seems to grab the 5Ghz and I just have the router left on auto.

It is odd that that small a difference would make it take a pass on the 5Ghz.

Ti0s9vi.png

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I guess I should ask you guys then-any thoughts on whether having that 5GHz band on a Roku would be useful? I thankfully don't have TOO many networks around me compared to a lot of people probably, but I do still have a half dozen maybe.

EDIT: Going from $40 to $70 just to add another Wifi band seems sort of silly. Especially when I actually wish it just had Ethernet!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I guess I should ask you guys then-any thoughts on whether having that 5GHz band on a Roku would be useful? I thankfully don't have TOO many networks around me compared to a lot of people probably, but I do still have a half dozen maybe.

EDIT: Going from $40 to $70 just to add another Wifi band seems sort of silly. Especially when I actually wish it just had Ethernet!

Like you mentioned, it could help if there are a lot of other 2.4 networks nearby.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
15" Retina MBP. Early 2013.

I had similar issues with a 2012 rMBP and a 4th gen Time Capsule. Strangely, the rMBP started to prefer the 5GHz network once I set both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels manually with AirPort Utility. It does not seem to matter what the channels are, just as long as they are set manually. If I set them back to Auto, the problem reappears.

I have not figured out why this works, and this is the only Wi-Fi network within a one-kilometer radius (I live in the middle of nowhere), so congestion is pretty much ruled out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.