Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 8 beta 5 and the fifth Yosemite beta, Apple today launched a new Apple TV software beta, which includes a long-awaited interface update.

The new interface includes new icons, which are designed to resemble the icons in iOS 7, with a flatter, less glossy look. Several icons, like Music, Computers, and TV Shows have new colors, and the on-screen fonts have been updated as well.

appletvupdated.jpg
Image courtesy of iLounge
Previous Apple TV betas have also added new Family Sharing options and support for iCloud Photos, both of which are features introduced in iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite.

Currently, the Apple TV beta is available only to registered developers, but the updated software is expected to be released to the public in the fall, likely alongside the launch of iOS 8.

Article Link: Apple TV Beta Includes Redesigned Interface With iOS 7-Style Icons, Fonts

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
We need a new layout, not just new icons. The long grid of forever-growing icons is pretty crappy.

kukheart

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2003
Dallas
Been waiting all year to buy a new Apple TV, I'm on 2nd Gen, I just know if I buy a 3rd Gen now they will come out with the new ones in October or something. I'm all for software updates though.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
At first, I thought "what the hell are they talking about? It looks the same". Then I realized that although the icons had changed, the awful user interface of Apple TV was still the same. That needs to be overhauled more than individual icons.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Baby steps. If Apple had a completely redesigned UI from a navigation standpoint it wouldn't show up in a beta without Apple announcing it first. The question I have then is does this mean no new Apple TV this year or is this a precursor to a complete revamp?

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Look at that Movies icon!

I used to look up to Apple's design talent, but almost every icon I've seen out of them since iOS 7 has been really disappointing.

And I know there are going to be people who say, 'they're just icons!', but we see them quite a bit. I don't want to feel like I could've done a better job than Apple. It just looks like they don't care enough about how this stuff looks anymore.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Nice that they didn't forget it...but it really just needs a complete UX overhaul. There are too many pre-installed apps and rearranging them is a chore. Maybe a row of favorites with categories below...or they could just add an actual app store to it.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Well, Don't much care, as 99% of these apps are hidden on my AppleTV. And at the end of the day, they are just icons.
Up here in Canada, we get a crappy selection anyhow. I would say having some sort of app store would be nice, and hopefully there would be something more useful in it than just Netflix and YouTube. :rolleyes:

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Look at that Movies icon!

I used to look up to Apple's design talent, but almost every icon I've seen out of them since iOS 7 has been really disappointing.

And I know there are going to be people who say, 'they're just icons!', but we see them quite a bit. I don't want to feel like I could've done a better job than Apple. It just looks like they don't care enough about how this stuff looks anymore.

Geez they are just icons.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
they really given up on the apple tv havent they?

this damn grid view and its huge buttons, i never got it. its not like you can actually touch them like on an iPhone lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.