Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Everhard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
Guys a friend of mine has a macbook pro with a dead logic board. She does not want to pay to have it fixed but she does want to get her pictures, documents, etc off the hard drive. I am thinking all we need to do is remove the hard drive and buy an enclosure for it and connect it to a pc using software such as mac drive that will recognize the hard drive and than just copy her data to the pc.

Is this the way to go? All my computer experience has only been with windows and pc's. Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes, that is the way to go. Any USB 2.0 or 3.0 enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs will work.
Mac Drive has a 7-day trial you can fully use and HFSExplorer is a free read alternative.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Nobody said the computer has a 2.5 in drive. Starting with the late 2013 models, they have PCIe SSDs. She might get lucky if it's earlier than 2013.

If it doesn't have a drive, I would pursue two options:

1) Restore her data from her backup. ;-)
2) Take it to Apple and see if they will transfer the data to an external drive.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Nobody said the computer has a 2.5 in drive. Starting with the late 2013 models, they have PCIe SSDs. She might get lucky if it's earlier than 2013.

If it doesn't have a drive, I would pursue two options:

1) Restore her data from her backup. ;-)
2) Take it to Apple and see if they will transfer the data to an external drive.

Yep, nobody said that. I just assumed due to a late 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display still being under warranty and no need to pay for fixing a dead logic board, and 2012 and early 2013 models of the Retina line unlikely to break this soon, otherwise we would have heard that in the OP.

But then again, I am often wrong.

PS: Even if it has no HDD, it has a drive. Though not to live as it seems.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Yep, nobody said that. I just assumed due to a late 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display still being under warranty and no need to pay for fixing a dead logic board, and 2012 and early 2013 models of the Retina line unlikely to break this soon, otherwise we would have heard that in the OP.

Hey. I'm often wrong too. We have that in common...and I like the way you think. I didn't put two and two together. I agree it's more likely an out of warranty older machine.

Everhard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
Guys since it is "dead" how can I find out exactly what year it is? On back it has 2010 so I am guessing it is a 2010 model. Btw, you guys have been a great help.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Guys since it is "dead" how can I find out exactly what year it is? On back it has 2010 so I am guessing it is a 2010 model. Btw, you guys have been a great help.

The exact year doesn't really matter; you just need to know if it's a SATA or PCIe drive, which you can tell by taking off the cover and pulling it out. If it's a 2010, it's a 2.5" SATA drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.