Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Tim Cook said last year Apple was going to have an amazing new lineup of products that would blow everyone away, nothing happened except iPad Air

This year, MAYBE the iWatch lol

I don't remember him saying that last year, I do recall him saying it at least once this year. He said that apple would be entering into "multiple new product categories" IIRC... I believe CarPlay was one of them that already came in 2014... I would guess the iWatch is another and if the 5.5" iPhone is real maybe they consider that a new product category of Phablet... I actually think they will have two wearables, an iWatch and an iBand (like the nike fuel band) sports wearable that they may consider separate categories..

----------

HDDs fail over time and nothing you can do about it! The new iMac's HDDs are a lot harder to take out. Unless Apple were to release an iMac where the HDD is as easy to take out as the RAM is, I think I want to get a Mac Mini instead.

Replacing the Mini HDD is a huge pain in the ass too... :(

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
it should be just a minor upgrade but I really want a new thunderbolt display in 4K.

Me too. I'm surprised Apple hasn't released one yet. I suspect cost was the limiting factor initially, but the cost of displays has started to really come down so I'll be surprised if a new Thunderbolt 4K display is not released this year.

I do a lot of high-end photo and video editing and would love to go the route of the Mac Pro, two Thunderbolt 4K displays, and a RAID 5 system....but man is it expensive!

Bryan

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I'm hoping this is not the case. If Apple wants to be the first to market with mainstream 4k displays, the iMac is the way to go. Next year may be too late.

But then again, maybe they will start with the Thunderbolt 2 Display...

There's nothing really mainstream about desktop computers anymore.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
There's a huge problem with Intel now.

No, their performance is fantastic...the problem is with Apple putting crappy GPUs in their computers and not doing incremental upgrades. No reason they can't have a more regular update cycle other than they want to squeeze as much out of us as they can to maximize their return on investment (e.g. R&D).

----------

There's nothing really mainstream about desktop computers anymore.

I'd prefer to buy a desktop over a laptop so I can do anything and play games at reasonable FPS and at a reasonable price.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
"it seems unlikely that further iMac updates will occur in the near future. "

Broadwell is still as delayed as it was last week --- Intel admits publicly that it won't have the high-end iMac appropriate CPUs ready for at least another six months (and who knows what they're telling Apple in private).

A refresh along the lines of the MacBook Pro refresh yesterday makes perfect sense. Personally I was surprised that the rMBP refresh didn't wait until the newest 802.11ac Wave 2 chips were out. (Broadcom promised these about four months ago, but didn't give a date, so maybe they're also delayed.)

I expect a minor CPU speedbump, like the rMBPs, is a given. Maybe likewise a bump in the minimum RAM. They could also ramp up the GPU slightly if nV has something appropriate.

No-one's claiming such an update is ideal, but the Broadwell delay is what it is, and it make sense for Apple to provide some improvements rather than have many potential buys just delay for another six months.
(Or, to put it differently, Apple is continually trying to maintain a more-or-less constant price for its products in the face of constantly falling competitor prices. They can stick with a fixed price for a year or so, but eventually the discrepancy with the competition becomes too glaring and they have to do SOMETHING to relieve the tension. Mac Mini is one case where they can delay for longer, because their just isn't that much competition in the space; it's not highly visible like the laptops and the iMac.)

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I currently have a 2007 iMac 24". I am running Mavericks. I have upgraded it with 6GB of RAM. I also upgraded the HDD to 2TB. It is starting to have stability issues such as freezes, unable to restart reliably, etc.

If you're happy taking your iMac apart, you could see if the problem is the GPU card. My 2007 iMac 27" died about two years ago after exhibiting symptoms much like yours, and the fault was in the GPU card which was obviously (visibly) in a bad way from constant overheating when I gutted the thing to extract the HD.
The GPUs from that time ran crazy hot.

You just have to be happy that the machine ran well for seven years :) Back in the early 2000s no-one ever expected it would be worth still using the same computer seven years on.

The good news is that one would expect modern machines to be much more reliable. The CPUs and GPUs run so much cooler, the screen emits less heat, even the RAM is more energy efficient.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I don't remember him saying that last year, I do recall him saying it at least once this year.

I recall him saying something along those lines but don't have the links to prove it.

To be fair we did get the new Mac Pro last year which is an amazing product and something I'd like to get one day, so I'm willing to cut him some slack, but overall I get the impression Apple are deliberately slowing down the frequency of updates because they can afford to get away with it.

The Mac Mini situation is pretty terrible so I hope this is news of an imminent refresh.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
No, their performance is fantastic...the problem is with Apple putting crappy GPUs in their computers and not doing incremental upgrades. No reason they can't have a more regular update cycle other than they want to squeeze as much out of us as they can to maximize their return on investment (e.g. R&D).

----------

I'd prefer to buy a desktop over a laptop so I can do anything and play games at reasonable FPS and at a reasonable price.

I love this! Yes Intel's processors are good. Since quad-cores became mainstream I think they offer pretty good performance for the average consumer.

I have a maxed-out early 2013 rMBP and not once have a thought the 2.8 GHz quad i7 wasn't good enough. And I do on occasion push it full throttle doing some scientific jobs or even just video transcoding. It achieves 85% of the multi-core performance of the behemoth that was my former 6-core 2010 Mac Pro and 124% single core performance. The latest model hits 94% multi-core. (source: Geekbench results browser). Coupled with fast SSDs the MacBook Pro feels much faster.

What I do wish were better are graphics performance and screen colour gamut for photography work, though I'm willing to accept graphics in a thin portable is always going to be limited.

If you want good graphics on the Mac platform pretty much your only option is to get a Mac Pro. I recommend getting a base model and custom-building it with mid or high-end AMD cards. Gaming in Windows would be pretty sweet with that setup. Windows gamers would laugh at the expense compared to a cheap and ugly Windows box but who cares what other people think if it makes you happy!

The Mac Mini is crying out for so many things but better graphics is its most critical flaw. I'd like to see it get a discrete (mobile class) GPU but I don't think Apple will do that. Still, even just an Iris Pro integrated would be much better than the abomination it has currently.

Last edited:

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014

A corporation wants to max their earnings?!? Shocking! :rolleyes:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
There's a huge problem with Intel now.

How so? There is a minor hiccup in their usual release cycle that has delayed the next generation by a few months - that's it. They still have a stronger lineup in the works than AMD, and FAR better than IBM.

And I actually think it's a good thing - it makes them see that they can't just cruise along, they actually have to keep innovating. (Which Apple helped them do, with ultra-low-power-but-still-fast CPUs and almost certainly Apple was the main driver behind the "Iris Pro" line of GPUs.)

That said, I hope this bump is more than just a 0.1 GHz CPU bump plus an increase in stock memory at the low end. I'm not calling for a complete overhaul of the iMac - even 4K/Retina, while nice, wouldn't be "needed" to me. But a new-generation of GPUs, an increase in level of stock GPU, Fusion drive standard. Those would be nice additions. I'm about ready to upgrade my desktop, and I'd really like for the new iMac to be enough of a jump to make me want the new one over a used one for much cheaper.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I love this! Yes Intel's processors are good. Since quad-cores became mainstream I think they offer pretty good performance for the average consumer.

I have a maxed-out early 2013 rMBP and not once have a thought the 2.8 GHz quad i7 wasn't good enough. And I do on occasion push it full throttle doing some scientific jobs or even just video transcoding. It achieves 85% of the multi-core performance of the behemoth that was my former 6-core 2010 Mac Pro and 124% single core performance. The latest model hits 94% multi-core. (source: Geekbench results browser). Coupled with fast SSDs the MacBook Pro feels much faster.

What I do wish were better are graphics performance and screen colour gamut for photography work, though I'm willing to accept graphics in a thin portable is always going to be limited.

If you want good graphics on the Mac platform pretty much your only option is to get a Mac Pro. I recommend getting a base model and custom-building it with mid or high-end AMD cards. Gaming in Windows would be pretty sweet with that setup. Windows gamers would laugh at the expense compared to a cheap and ugly Windows box but who cares what other people think if it makes you happy!

The Mac Mini is crying out for so many things but better graphics is its most critical flaw. I'd like to see it get a discrete (mobile class) GPU but I don't think Apple will do that. Still, even just an Iris Pro integrated would be much better than the abomination it has currently.

Gaming on those MacPro cards is mediocre at best. A top of the line iMac crushed a top of the line MacPro in gaming but the MacPro is fantastic at OpenCL computations using those GPUs. I'll most likely say <beep it> and build Windows box for my needs...maybe a Hackintosh...not sure. Apple's obviously shifted it's focus solely to mobile devices (excluding the laptops for now).

----------

A corporation wants to max their earnings?!? Shocking! :rolleyes:

I should have mentioned "...maximize their earnings at their customers' expense." I don't mind this to a certain extent, but it gets old. Not many in the Windows laptop market would buy a $2500 laptop with a ~2 year old GPU that barely outperforms the Intel Iris Pro.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Gaming on those MacPro cards is mediocre at best. A top of the line iMac crushed a top of the line MacPro in gaming but the MacPro is fantastic at OpenCL computations using those GPUs. I'll most likely say <beep it> and build Windows box for my needs...maybe a Hackintosh...not sure. Apple's obviously shifted it's focus solely to mobile devices (excluding the laptops for now)

Do you have any benchmarks to prove this? There's plenty of videos on YouTube that show the Mac Pro performs very well in Boot Camp gaming and I doubt very much that an iMac's mobile card can beat two desktop cards, even if their not very well optimised for gaming.

Sure, a custom-built PC with dedicated gaming cards is going to be better and cheaper and I never said otherwise but then you don't get the Mac Pro.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
hurry up apple

iMac 27 inch refresh sooooooon. mine is dying. gong into sleep mode randomly because of heat issues. I want to get a new top end 27 inch with all the side dishes so bad and can buy one but want a brand new refresh. I hate buying at the end of a yearly cycle but im starting to get desperate.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
iMac 27 inch refresh sooooooon. mine is dying. gong into sleep mode randomly because of heat issues. I want to get a new top end 27 inch with all the side dishes so bad and can buy one but want a brand new refresh. I hate buying at the end of a yearly cycle but im starting to get desperate.

What year iMac do you have? I have the 2.8Ghz core2 extreme from mid 2007. It was shutting off randomly too. I opened I up (quite easy) and blew air and cleaned out everything, reseated the thermal sensor on the HDD and put it all back. Hasn't shutdown for months now. The new iMac scares me because it is not openable at all. They glued the screen. I have already changed out the HDD once in my IMAc because it is so easy to do. I won't be able to do it with the new one. For these reasons, I am tempted to wait for the Mac mini and buy a 27" IPS monitor from one of the online vendors that go on sale for under $400 most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.