Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Here's a strange one:
For the past week every time I log into http://www.verizonwireless.com via SAFARI the following message “drops down” -

Safari can't verify the identity of the website stags.bluekai.com. The certificate for this website was signed by an unknown certifying authority.

The Safari message goes on to warn me about serious consequences – the normal such warning from Safari.

My situation is as follows:
1)I have nothing to do with stags.bluekai.com.
2)I called Verizon and they know nothng about it and think it's Safari's problem.
3)When I use Firefox to log into http://www.verizonwireless.com I do NOT get that message.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone else try logging into http://www.verizonwireless.com using Safari and let me know their results. Does anyone know what this is caused by?
Thanks to all.

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
Wipe out your cookies and Safari caches.

You probably have a cookie or a script somewhere that is triggering it.

Cheers

mari2

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
Safari warning on Verizon Wireless website connect

I have had the same problem logging into http://www.verizonwireless.com in Safari. I have Reset Safari which included clearing cookies and the cache and everything else, also cleared cookies and cleared cache. I called Apple and they had me do it again, also reset my computer several times. Nothing helps.

I continue to get the same message you got "cannot verify the identity of the website "stags.bluekai.com" - signed by an unknown certifying authority. Yes it appears to be tracking some info (looking at the BlueKai website) and Apple thinks it's from an ad, maybe accidentally clicked on. However it only happens at Verizon website. I called Verizon and they said they didn't have any other complaints. Now I see it here. Both Apple and Verizon said, don't worry, it's secure. I'm not comfortable with that.

Any other ideas out there?
What type of internet connection are you using? ethernet? wireless? other?
Secure with password?
This does not happen on my grandson's computer which is also a MacBook Pro.

Farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Safari warning

Good news and bad news.

Good news: I don't feel like the problem is with me or my computer since someone else has it too (sorry mari2).
Bad news: I personally don't have any ideas.

For the record I have a mini-mac which has been working pretty darn well for about 2.5 years; am connected to the internet via Time Warner Road Runner and other than the exorbitant monthly fee, also works pretty well. I do not have a password since I am the only one with access to the computer - athough there is a password to that site when I pay my verizon telephone bill.

I have tried to contact the BlueKai people without success. Perhaps someone else can succeed and solve this mystery.

On 2nd thought I do have an idea... I just opened the verizon site and of course the warning dropped down and this time I opened the certificate and a lot of (to me) mumble-jumble stuff appeared. I don't know nothin' bout them there computer stuff but perhaps someone who does can take a look at it and suggest a solution.

Thanks for sharing.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
never been to that website - am running Windows 7 - and just went to that website and it nearly hung my machine. Something real fishy with that website.

On another note: who knows for certain that the Chinese are not behind this - I have had some more strange things happening recently - some time ago I read some news article that the Chinese now posses the ability to shut totally a country's internet down. It has also been reported that at times network traffic is totally routed through China (some hijacking) so who knows what they are injecting into the network traffic?

So Verizon and Apple may be totally correct in that it has nothing to do with them. The internet is becoming inherently unstable unlike the early days when it was mainly email and www hardly existed.

And yet people seem to trust iCloud and other web backup facilities?

himynameis

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Have you tried running Safari with plugins disabled? If the issue isn't resolved by resetting Safari, it's probably something that's running *in* Safari.

Fastcast

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
Running Firefox 5.0.1 and getting no such warning on log in. Site is secure and page info looks normal.

himynameis

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Can you post a screenshot of the message? Usually certificate errors are able to be cleared by selecting "always trust" after you click one of the disclosure triangles.

May not solve the actual problem, but it could potentially keep the warning away?

Farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Solved!

Well not actually "solved" but the problem has disappeared. I did nothing to it and then one day quite recently I suddenly realized that I was no longer getting the warning message. I only wish that all of our problems should be "solved" like that.

Thanks to one and all who had suggestions and offered their help in solving this mystery -- which when you think about it, remains a mystery.

hoppybounce

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
Is this still a problem

Hi, I've been to the consumer opt out page and completed the opt out. I also reset Safari before it went away.

Farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Nope.

Hadn't thought about it for almost exactly 3 years until I got your message. Good luck.

It is nice that MacRumors keeps issues alive that long - just in case.:)

Piquehere2

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2015
Solved!

Well not actually "solved" but the problem has disappeared. I did nothing to it and then one day quite recently I suddenly realized that I was no longer getting the warning message. I only wish that all of our problems should be "solved" like that.

Thanks to one and all who had suggestions and offered their help in solving this mystery -- which when you think about it, remains a mystery.

Geez, That freakin' popup came up as soon as I got to this thread. I give up. WHAT IS IT! It's been going on for weeks! How long did you have it? Maybe time was up. ha yeah sure.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Geez, That freakin' popup came up as soon as I got to this thread. I give up. WHAT IS IT! It's been going on for weeks! How long did you have it? Maybe time was up. ha yeah sure.
Just FYI, you’re responding to a thread that’s 7 years old and to a member that hasn’t been active in over a year. I realize you probably just stumbled in here from a Google search; I just thought you should know. Best of luck.

Reactions: Luap
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.