Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bjango today released iStat Menus 5, the newest version of its popular Mac system monitor. The program brings a refreshed design, compatibility with OS X Yosemite, and enhanced per-app metrics and stats. Additionally, time and world clocks are now available for more than 120,000 cities along with support for additional languages.

istat_menus51-800x273.jpg
New menubar icons and revamped-drop down menus are emphasized in the new look of iStat Menus 5, which has been designed to fit more in line with the overall look of OS X Yosemite. The app also contains a variety of Yosemite-only and Mavericks-only features, which include overviews for apps using significant energy and Dark Mode compatibility among others.

In addition to these changes, stats on read and write disk activity for individual apps are now available, along with data on specific upload and download activity. Finally, access to additional network information and improved GPU monitoring are also provided through iStat Menus 5.

istat_menus52-800x273.jpg
All of the new additions to iStat Menus 5 join the program's core monitoring abilities, which allow users to track metrics such as realtime CPU and GPU usage, sensors, memory, battery and power, disk usage, and more.

iStat Menus 5 can be downloaded now and comes with a free 14-day trial, as a single license and Family Pack license sell for $16 and $24, respectively. Users upgrading from iStat Menus 3 or 4 are eligible for reduced pricing, with the single license on sale for $9.99 and the Family Pack license available for $14.99.

Article Link: iStat Menus 5 Brings Refreshed Look, OS X Yosemite Support, More Data

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Nice new look. It will take some time but once most apps are optimized for Yosemite OS X is going to really look beautiful.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
"Refreshing Look". Thats looks like it's a Tiger merged with iOS 7 app or something.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the font in the task bar needs to be updated. the words look squeezed and blurry, cant use it like that, my OCD doesnt allow it lol its all i see

edit: had to uninstall, it made my rMBP laggy (Yosemite DP5)

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Can't wait to try this. I skipped version 4 because I had no use for the new features, and it was uglier.

This looks like a real update. Been waiting for significant energy support. And it looks like you still get the same discount if you're on version 3---very generous of them.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
It makes you sick that developers have to eat?
4 came out two years ago, and there's an upgrade price.
No, I'm speaking as a user who had to upgrade a bunch of apps with almost every major iOS and OS X release. I don't mind if the price would be a bit higher for a lifetime free upgrade.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
No, I'm speaking as a user who had to upgrade a bunch of apps with almost every major iOS and OS X release. I don't mind if the price would be a bit higher for a lifetime free upgrade.

Well, sorry, but that's unrealistic. Especially at the pennies iOS apps go for.

Also, you aren't required to upgrade every time. Skipped version 3 of iStat because I didn't need its new features.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Interesting. Seems a bit pricey, though, for what it does. All of the information it shows can pretty easily be accessed some other way, it just brings it together in a convenient spot.

If it were priced closer to Battery Status, I'd think about it. $16 seems like an awful lot for so little, though.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Done, upgrade purchased. :D

(without first reading the article, that's how much i <3 iStat.)

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Well, sorry, but that's unrealistic. Especially at the pennies iOS apps go for.

Like Fantastical? Some apps do this reasonably and some don't. I understand that developers have to eat, but don't get greedy.

Also, does this have an Dashboard or Notification Center option? I hate it in the menu bar.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I always wanted this app. Bought it recently. I never use it. I used to love apps like this back when I would build gaming PCs years ago. They are great when you're always tweaking your performance and trying different hardware. On the Mac it just doesn't make as much sense. Someone mentioned this making their rMBP laggy. Mine has been laggy lately as well. Wonder if iStat is to blame. Might as well uninstall it. There is so much crap running in the background on my computer that it drives me crazy. I need to go through my activity monitor with an axe and cut out all the apps I don't need. Unfortunately some of them always have to run, like Adobe CC crap.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Ah, I bought version 3 back in the day. This will go nicely with my new rMBP, if it ever ships, and let me monitor the 500 or so sensors it has in it.

Also, does this have an Dashboard or Notification Center option? I hate it in the menu bar.

I'm afraid you'll need to get iStat Notification Centre (http://bjango.com/mac/istatnotificationcenter/) to get that feature. iStat Menu is just for the menu bar. this is a joke, btw

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Link is dead, and the main page doesn't seem to acknowledge it. Guess they stopped making it. Thanks though!

It never existed. We might get one now, though, that there are actual NC widgets in Yosemite which developers will be able to make.

There was a dashboard widget, but it hasn't been updated in ages and I'm not sure if it works anymore.

BTW, anyone using this noticing that "apps using significant energy" aren't reporting the same thing as the OS X battery menu?

Last edited:

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
the font in the task bar needs to be updated. the words look squeezed and blurry, cant use it like that, my OCD doesnt allow it lol its all i see

edit: had to uninstall, it made my rMBP laggy (Yosemite DP5)
OS X doesn't have a taskbar. Never had.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Paying AGAIN!? These annually upgrade costs for iOS and OS X apps make me really sick.

You should be happy that you don't have to pay for the OS upgrade.

Also, what is the point in complaining about paying for an upgrade. You upgrade your phone, you pay. You upgrade your computer, you pay.

Someone put the time and effort into upgrading the UI and options in this app, so why should it be free. If I had someone remodel my kitchen and then a year later the cabinets I used had a better model out I wouldn't expect the guy to come back and replace my old cabinets with the new ones for free.

People expect too many things to be given to them anymore...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.