Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiznar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
i hope I'm in the right place for this. I've been up for hours researching and attempting file share between my brand new mac book pro and a windows 7 computer. why so unfriendly i got it working by smb i think is what its called. I can honestly say i do not like it, i just want to turn on the computer and click network and drag and drop i hate password i got way to many and to have to login on each computer to get simple files off its not fun nor exciting to me. Even on my own network not to mention going out into the public and trying to share files, excuse me i need to make a account on your windows pc so i can share files with you. I do understand that with dropbox some of the sharing is easier to do, how ever it does not work with everything. Is this supposed to be this hard? I feel like i know my way around a computer how ever mac is a new os to me but i still do not feel like it should be this hard. sorry its 2am here tired and left really really dissapointed at a friends house who's biased to pc's and my 2800.00 usd laptop can't share files. there are 4 pc's here and 1 mac. its not that i even need it i want it been using a flash drive tonight to transfer files.

rant over more testing when i wake up.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just use Dropbox, I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but it is so much simpler. I tried sharing (OS X/Windows) and got mixed results, so much so that I just use dropbox.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
For ease of file transfers not going to the cloud you'd probably be better off looking for a cheapish NAS external if a long term thing at home. Or good ole fashioned usb to a universal file format external and swap them around on the road.

For the ease of what you'd like a computer option would to make something a dedicated file server at home. If in a worst case you'd have the file server basically have access rights that are non existent (and I I'd highly discourage that even at home). Not in this setup your client to client x-fers will ask for a password.

The annoying asking of a password is called security. You have a remote access request coming, an OS saying "sure, come on in" not checking at all is bad. You don't want to be promiscuous with access rights to a computer, even for just a file store. call it years of IT making me paranoid...one crack in the defences leads to the potential to find more.

Or just cloud it. I find it nice for home and work use.

What files if I may ask aren't dropbox not working for you if I may ask. I have everything from .exe's, code samples, etc. Due to restrictive network security I can't even override and I work in the IT department (lost this fight with security manager long ago) I have even used my drop box to send database back ups and extensive application files with their own custom extensions to vendors when needing tech support no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.