Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LRussoPhoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
I have a gmail account for my business. I'm using Mac mail and a few weeks ago all of the sudden my business voice mails, which it have being forwarded to my gmail have be going to my Mac junk mail. I don't think I changed any mail settings. Why would this be happening? Is it a gmail issue or a Mac mail issue? When I got to my gmail account through the gmail website, there isn't even a junk mail folder. Any ides?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Gmail has a "Spam" folder. If you don't see it at the web interface it must be hidden in Settings>Labels, which would put it in the under the "More" section. Make sure that "Show in IMAP" is checked for the Spam folder.

On your Mac Mail turn off Junk Mail filtering.

LRussoPhoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Gmail has a "Spam" folder. If you don't see it at the web interface it must be hidden in Settings>Labels, which would put it in the under the "More" section. Make sure that "Show in IMAP" is checked for the Spam folder.

On your Mac Mail turn off Junk Mail filtering.

Show in IMAP was checked but the label itself said hide, I clicked show. But then I went to my mac mail preferences and saw that I can filter junk mail buy people in my contacts, so I added that email address to my contacts, said should fix it i would think. We'll see if it works.
It should right?

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
either gmail or mac mail had a rule set change most likely in mail filtering methods.

usually when mail that is good suddenly goes to junk mail in droves whatever they use to determine junkmail has changed.

I see this at work when our proofpoint (external appliance that is our first line of mail defence as it were) gets an update and clients call in going "where is my mail from so and so, I know they sent it".

Not up to speed on mac mail but if your setting like it sounds overrides the mail filtering it should come through.

Now how a good mail sendor becomes bad can get really complicated. I have seen this because an entire mail system got blacklisted for being an open relay (simple terms....usually associated with mail spamming attacks). Or other reasons. For about a day or so earilier this year this hit a yahoo mail cluster. Proofpoint blacklisted that yahoo cluster (just that one, others were fine for mail flow) hard...its then on the sending mail service to fix their stuff and petition to get off the blacklist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.