Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the launch of a 64-bit beta version of Chrome for Windows 7 and 8 users last week, Google has quietly added 64-bit support to Chrome Canary for OS X, the experimental build of its Chrome web browser designed for Mac users, and to its Mac Dev channels.

As noted by The Next Web, the latest build of Chrome Canary, version 38.2114.2, has 64-bit clearly listed in the About section of the browser, but Google has not yet officially announced the addition of 64-bit support.

chromecanary.jpg
According to Google, 64-bit support adds speed, allowing the browser to take advantage of the latest processor optimizations, and stability on Windows, with the same benefits likely available on the Mac.

64-bit support for the Windows version of Canary arrived in early June, before making its way to Beta channels in late July, and it's possible 64-bit support for Mac could follow a similar timeline, eventually making its way to Google's stable Chrome browser.

Article Link: Google Launches 64-Bit Version of Chrome Canary Browser for OS X

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Nice!

A few years late, and Safari clearly has become the better browser, on a Mac.

However, I use Android, and since Chrome is very good I use it, instead. Let's just hope that Chrome stops stealing my Media Keys functionality!

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Hmm, I wonder how much RAM this will use if the 32-bit version already takes more than anything on my computer. On the bright side, it should load things more quickly. The closer the browser race is, the better.

Last edited:

b0rg

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2009
yeah there slow just like those LAGdroid devices..

Finally Java support in Chrome for mac users :)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Welcome to 2009, Google.

I used to be a big fan of Chrome but it's amazing how far behind Chrome has become over the last few years. The speed and performance these days aren't even close. Safari 8 in Yosemite runs circles around Chrome while using far less battery and RAM.

Last edited:

iStrikeRx

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
yeah there slow just like those LAGdroid devices..

Finally Java support in Chrome for mac users :)

Poor attempt. 0/10.

My Note 3 makes the 5S look prehistoric when it comes to speed and stability.

OT, good to see there's finally some improvements being made. Hopefully they add a little bit more than just 64bit support though, as the Mac version of chrome still leaves a lot to be desired. Either way, more choice for us consumers who aren't walled into Apple's little garden of control is always a good thing.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Poor attempt. 0/10.

My Note 3 makes the 5S look prehistoric when it comes to speed and stability.

OT, good to see there's finally some improvements being made. Hopefully they add a little bit more than just 64bit support though, as the Mac version of chrome still leaves a lot to be desired. Either way, more choice for us consumers who aren't walled into Apple's little garden of control is always a good thing.

And iPhone 6 will make your note 3 looks and performs like a prehistoric device.... And the cycle continues... Nothing new here

Edit: "android & stability" together? I don't believe they should go together in a sentence.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
And iPhone 6 will make your note 3 looks and performs like a prehistoric device.... And the cycle continues... Nothing new here

Edit: "android & stability" together? I don't believe they should go together in a sentence.
When's the last time you used an Android device? Froyo?

Anyway ... I'm glad they're finally doing this. Not sure what took them so long.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This was important, I can't remember why.

Because various other programs and plugins that previously played well with Chrome, when they were 32 bit, stopped playing well when they shifted over to 64 bit.

As someone else said, welcome to 2009 Google. Seriously, what the hell took them so long? The mass transition to 64 bit began somewhere around 8 years ago, and most software finished it several years ago.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Because various other programs and plugins that previously played well with Chrome, when they were 32 bit, stopped playing well when they shifted over to 64 bit.

As someone else said, welcome to 2009 Google. Seriously, what the hell took them so long? The mass transition to 64 bit began somewhere around 8 years ago, and most software finished it several years ago.

Maybe they were using uint32_t all over the place to represent memory addresses instead of uintptr_t.

----------

lets face it. No it doesn't. :rolleyes:

+1 :D

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I want to like and use safari but I hate the way the tabs are. They don't show the name or symbol of a website so I can't tell which tab is which. At least on the Yosemite preview that I currently am running. I don't like how they do a weird shift thing either. Prefer how chrome just makes them all the same size then smaller if you have that many open.

Also don't like the delay when you hit forward or back. The internals of Safari might be better but I find it less user friendly.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
When's the last time you used an Android device? Froyo?

Anyway ... I'm glad they're finally doing this. Not sure what took them so long.

I've used my friends' devices running some version of JellyBean, and yeah, I have to agree that it's slow and unstable.

----------

Welcome to 2009, Google.

I used to be a big fan of Chrome but it's amazing how far behind Chrome has become over the last few years. The speed and performance these days aren't even close. Safari 8 in Yosemite runs circles around Chrome while using far less battery and RAM.

Is the advanced HTML5 performance fast? I use Safari because it's faster for me, but it's happened a couple of times where I've had to use Chrome to use a site with special HTML5 content because it either wouldn't work in Safari or was slow. I'm looking at you, Megaupload. You don't need HTML5 to download a file. Sad, really, that we're reverting to the days of "this site looks best in Internet Explorer" except for Chrome.

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
This must be for the iPhone's 64-bit processor.

OS X has been 64-bit for 5+ years.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
This has been present in canary for some time. Furthermore it's in the dev version too and will be in the beta version shortly.

Shoddy work as usual, macrumors.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
This has been present in canary for some time. Furthermore it's in the dev version too and will be in the beta version shortly.

Shoddy work as usual, macrumors.

Yeah, I remember noticing this at least a week ago, surprised that I hadn't heard anything about it until now. :confused:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
A few years late, and Safari clearly has become the better browser, on a Mac.

I keep trying Safari, but I usually end up going back after realizing it still has the "inexplicably disappearing cursor bug". It also doesn't help that I prefer the layout of Inspect Element in Chrome, but that's more preference than anything. I'm hoping that Yosemite will help me move back but somehow I doubt it.

At least I can finally get Safari to actually block popunders. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.