Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Hey all... About a year ago or more someone randomly gave me a Macintosh 512k. Everything on it is fine but the floppy drive is so gunked up that the disk doesn't lock into it. I pressed the leaver inside with a paper clip and saw that the motor still runs, so I blame it fully on the drive being so dirty. What is the best way to clean it up? I am sure I will get answers about applying WD-40 or lubricant to the moving parts, but there is a lot of gunk I want to remove. I haven't opened my 512k in a while, so I don't know if you can easily detach the mechanism from the drive's circuits and other components that can't get wet. If I can, I wanted to just submerge the whole mechanism in cooking oil or something, wash it clean, and maybe apply some lubricant to it. So is there a simple way that I can clean this by submerging it? If not, is there a simple way to oil it up without taking the drive apart? I want this thing to work again.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
What is the best way to clean it up?

Recently discussed right here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1749641/

PowerMac G4 MDD said:
So is there a simple way that I can clean this by submerging it? If not, is there a simple way to oil it up without taking the drive apart? I want this thing to work again.
The 512ke takes some special tools to take apart (the long torx, maybe case separators), and it's fiddly to get the 3.5" drive apart to clean it. If you want it to work again - prepare for some work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.