Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My 14 year old daughter wants the blue one to match her blue iPhone 5C. Probably good for her, too. She frequently misses texts when her phone is on silent (which is often). The Pebble will vibrate her wrist.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
well i guess men can forget about wearing these... i was hoping for a decent blue at least that men could wear as well. oh well. guess i wont get one this time around either.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Did you stop reading after the first sentence?

You literally posted:

If they weren't so ridiculously large I would get one to try out.

If you meant "... in comparison to my tiny wrists" then you would have needed to say that in the same sentence. Otherwise, you're just calling the Pebble ridiculously large and then telling us you have small wrists. I think thats the discrepancy.

yetisalmon

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
Nashville, TN
People actually wear these things? The display looks more ancient than the old Timex Ironman watches, which come to think of it, are really cool. Somehow these Pebble watches just don't do it for me. Timex should team up with Apple. That would be pretty dope.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
You literally posted:

If you meant "... in comparison to my tiny wrists" then you would have needed to say that in the same sentence. Otherwise, you're just calling the Pebble ridiculously large and then telling us you have small wrists. I think thats the discrepancy.

Okay and I personally still find it ridiculously large. That's just my opinion. I have nothing against the watch I just think if they could knock those bezels down some it would be fine.

But yes I should have also mentioned in my initial sentence in comparison to my wrist and I would imagine most normal womens cases, it's just too big.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My 14 year old daughter wants the blue one to match her blue iPhone 5C. Probably good for her, too. She frequently misses texts when her phone is on silent (which is often). The Pebble will vibrate her wrist.

That is absolutely the best feature of the Pebble and one that I didn't expect (bought it for iPhone music control). I've never missed a call since getting it, which was a problem for me. Sometimes I just don't feel the phone vibrating or leave it on silence by accident.

----------

People actually wear these things? The display looks more ancient than the old Timex Ironman watches, which come to think of it, are really cool. Somehow these Pebble watches just don't do it for me. Timex should team up with Apple. That would be pretty dope.

I agree it'd be well dope yo brap brap

----------

well i guess men can forget about wearing these... i was hoping for a decent blue at least that men could wear as well. oh well. guess i wont get one this time around either.

Strange. I'm a regular old fashioned heterosexual man in a long-term relationship with a female person, with a nice job in a creative field and other normal things. I'd happily wear any of them. But I'll stick with my red one because it looks beautiful.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Yes, while it's true that Pebble doesn't have a touch screen, I don't think this is a bad thing by any means.

Having used Android Wear as well as Pebble very extensively, I can say that it almost feels like a touch screen is not meant to be on a watch. The screen is already so small as it is and touching it takes up 80%+ of the screen real estate.

With Pebble it is simply buttons so the screen is always 100% visible. Also, it allows for actions to be carried out without even looking directly at the watch.

Example: I want to pause the music playing from my car while driving. On Android Wear I need to be looking at the watch the whole time while I navigate through 5 different menus. On Pebble, I know exactly the 3 quick button presses I need to do all while not even taking my eyes off the road.

This ability is huge for me, and something that shouldn't be overlooked when discussing Pebble's lack of a touch screen.

Just my two cents though.

I've only used Pebble. I agree about buttons but I think an iWatch or whatever should have both.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Just bought one as a birthday present for someone, but can't find out what the "pink" watchface is, as I want that on my existing Pebble! :(

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Sorry-

Why are the ugly colors always "Limited Edition"?

And....

Why do they think that they will have more success with those colors then say oh...

Apple and it ugly color choices for the 5C, smart covers etc?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
watches are over rated.. i have a cell phone to tell time.

Cars are over rated... I have a pair of legs to get me places. :rolleyes:

----------

I wouldn't wear a brightly coloured watch if it was free.

Then you are officially old (as am I) but the kids are all about the bright neon now (again). Look at the colors of sneakers these days and you'll see that bright colors have returned.

----------

I'd buy one if they didn't look so weird, given that half the point of a watch is style. At least the Casio calculator watches look cool in a way.

Calculator watches only looked cool to geeks. To the rest of the world you looked like a dork... Yeah... I wore one.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
It's funny how all the people knocking Pebble (and/or smartwatches in general) have mostly never actually tried one.

I backed it on Kickstarter as I knew I'd find it useful. And I do. It is one of those devices that I now can't imagine being without. The last device to do that for me was my first iPhone.

My phone is generally in my pocket, on silent. Even if it's not on silent and I'm out somewhere I often won't hear it. Now I never miss a call or a text. Ever. I'm at the supermarket and my wrist buzzes and my wife is asking me to pick up Oranges. Before I would go home with no Oranges and to an angry wife. Now I have Oranges and a happy wife.

Controlling music in the car is a doddle. Get in car, 3 quick presses on the middle button - without looking - and music plays. Skipping a track is done without taking my eyes of the road at all. Even at home when I'm streaming music from my phone I can now skip, pause, adjust volume etc, all without having to actually pick up the phone or pull it out of my pocket.

The apps etc I don't tend to use much - occasionally Run Keeper but that's about it. I'm not even massively bothered about different watchfaces although my son (8) thinks it's cool. In fact he said to me the other day "Dad, when you die can I have your watch?". I'm only 36 so I'm hoping to outlast the watch!

I'm interested in the iWatch, but it's gotta be as simple to use and the battery has to last a week, or at least 3-4 days.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It's funny how all the people knocking Pebble (and/or smartwatches in general) have mostly never actually tried one.

I backed it on Kickstarter as I knew I'd find it useful. And I do. It is one of those devices that I now can't imagine being without. The last device to do that for me was my first iPhone.

My phone is generally in my pocket, on silent. Even if it's not on silent and I'm out somewhere I often won't hear it. Now I never miss a call or a text. Ever. I'm at the supermarket and my wrist buzzes and my wife is asking me to pick up Oranges. Before I would go home with no Oranges and to an angry wife. Now I have Oranges and a happy wife.

Controlling music in the car is a doddle. Get in car, 3 quick presses on the middle button - without looking - and music plays. Skipping a track is done without taking my eyes of the road at all. Even at home when I'm streaming music from my phone I can now skip, pause, adjust volume etc, all without having to actually pick up the phone or pull it out of my pocket.

The apps etc I don't tend to use much - occasionally Run Keeper but that's about it. I'm not even massively bothered about different watchfaces although my son (8) thinks it's cool. In fact he said to me the other day "Dad, when you die can I have your watch?". I'm only 36 so I'm hoping to outlast the watch!

I'm interested in the iWatch, but it's gotta be as simple to use and the battery has to last a week, or at least 3-4 days.

Agreed. I love mine, I just hate wearing watches... I wish I could implant one on my skin. :p

My only gripe with it is the lack of processing power. It runs relatively slow for what it does (in comparison to the speed of average gadgets these days) and it crashes out at least twice a week. But after a reboot it's fine again. If they sped up the watch, added a tiny bit more RAM and used a higher DPI screen it would be a perfect device.

Addendum; it would be nice if alarms could be set for M-F; Sat-Sun; M-Sun though as opposed to just every day.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I think there's a typo at the top of the screen. Should say: "PebbleSmartWatchRumors: news and rumors you don't care about."

There, I fixed it. :)

If you don't care about this topic, you don't have to read the article and post a response.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
MAJOR ALERT!!!!!! All companies with Iwatches ,Get all your Iwatches out on the market now, before Apple takes over .... Again!!!

----------

If you don't care about this topic, you don't have to read the article and post a response.

Let them feel their playing a big part in society!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
MAJOR ALERT!!!!!! All companies with Iwatches ,Get all your Iwatches out on the market now, before Apple takes over .... Again!!!

----------

Let them feel their playing a big part in society!
Yeah get out now when Apple isn't even in the market and lose out on all the money that is out there for this market. Makes a lot of sense.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Yeah get out now when Apple isn't even in the market and lose out on all the money that is out there for this market. Makes a lot of sense.

Where's your sense of of humor??? It was a JOKE :D panties in a wad??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.