Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_6_battery_18102.jpg
Last month, new photos of a purported battery for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 revealed a 1,810 mAh capacity for the device, which is a modest improvement over the 1,560 mAh battery currently found in the iPhone 5s. Now, ESM-China electronics analyst Sung Chang Xu claims (Google Translate, via G for Games) that the final version of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will actually feature a 2,100 mAh battery.

Citing sources at supply chains across China, the analyst also adds that the previous images of the battery showed test units. A capacity of 2,100 mAh for the iPhone 6's battery would put it below competing phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S5 (2800 mAh) and the HTC One M8 (2600 mAh). However, Apple's traditionally tight hardware and software integration will likely contribute to a more robust overall battery life, as iOS 8 will most certainly be optimized for the iPhone 6.

Xu has previously reported on a number of other rumors pertaining to the iPhone 6, claiming that the device will feature temperature, pressure and humidity sensors in addition to electronic image stabilization. In February, Xu also claimed that the iWatch will use optical sensors to measure heart rate and oxygen levels.

Apple will unveil the iPhone 6 at an event on Tuesday, September 9, with a launch of the 4.7-inch version likely coming a week or so after the announcement. The event may also feature the introduction of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, which is said to ship later this year or early next year due to production issues. Both iPhones are expected to feature a faster A8 processor, an improved camera, and a thinner chassis.

Article Link: Report Claims 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Will Feature 2,100 mAh Battery

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Don't care about the actual capacity, but actual real world performance with the software/hardware integration. I don't have too much problem with my 5 now though but this should make it even better.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Better 2100 than 1810...because with 1810 the usage should be the same like iphone 5s...but with this extra we could get some 20-30% better usage

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
would've been 3,000 mAh, but Jony Ive wanted the iPhone to be 1 mm thinner.

Adding that thickness and bigger battery would also make the device heavier. Use a battery pack if you don't mind thickness and heavy devices. I want my phone to be slim and light and my 5s already have great battery performance.

GavApple

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
UK
I've never been so excited about the prospects of a new and improved battery for the iPhone :apple::D honestly!:)

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
Actually, I can't remember the last time the 5s lasted me a whole day. It usually dies down around 4pm, if I don't use an external charger.

The problem is, there is only so much optimisation you can do before the laws of physics take over.

A 4.7inch screen, no matter what optimisation iOS8 has, will take up power. Will an 1800mah or 2100mah battery last as long as an Android phone with a comparable screen, having a 3000mah battery? No. It just isn't possible to take away the power draw of the screen in software.

Of course, tasks can be optimised and the CPU can be underclocked so CPU processing tasks take less power.

I fear that the new iPhone will have a similar battery life to the current one, which is sadly not enough at all.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
It's all good. Already get almost 2 days on my 5S quite consistently, so I'm sure the 6 will have decent battery life.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Adding that thickness and bigger battery would also make the device heavier. Use a battery pack if you don't mind thickness and heavy devices. I want my phone to be slim and light and my 5s already have great battery performance.

Look at what the competitors offer. Stop defending Apple for them choosing device thinness over battery capacity.

jkkool

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
Apple failed to give better battery, i dont know why they are really not getting this thing done, is it that complicated.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Apple failed to give better battery, i dont know why they are really not getting this thing done, is it that complicated.

If they give you a much bigger battery in the 6, then they won't be able to then sell you the 6s "with improved battery life"

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
Look at what the competitors offer. Stop defending Apple for them choosing device thinness over battery capacity.

I dont care about the competitors neither do I care about the people who prefer battery over slimness I know I want slimness and no one can tell ME what should I want.

Having said that I think most people think like me and would want a thinner iphone than an iphone with 2h longer battery life, I also think macrumors isn't a real representation of most users so again I think that its irrelevant that there are people here who are crying for more battery.

Last edited:

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013

I do, and what Apple offer is more compelling to me. With my average use I have about 50% battery left when I go to sleep and I don't just let my phone idle in my pocket. So yes I think this rumored iPhone 6 with even better battery life yet thinner phone is a really good product.

When iOS8 releases with battery draining monitoring, I think many people will find out that bad cell coverage is their actual issue for bad battery life. When I switched carrier a year ago I saw an 50% increase in battery time and I live in a city where this shouldn't even be an issue. I can only imagine the problem in places that actually have bad coverage.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Having said that I think most people think like me and would want a thinner iphone than an iphone with 2h longer battery life

So no one call tell you what you should want but you can tell what most people are thinking?

Personally (and I'm sure the majority of my business users would agree based on current feedback) I'd like to see 2 more hours of battery life rather than a thinner iPhone as I find the 5 perfectly slim and light enough.

fardeenah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
i actually want a bigger battery like the moto g atleast. i just hate it that my phone has to die during the day, while android phones can last for one or two days of heavy usage

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

Thank you.

People on this forum forget they're probably not the norm. My dad gets 2 days from his 5c - he's very light user, but I imagine there are more him then there are of 'us' on this forum. I get about 12 hours from my 5s. But I have an office job and I have a dock on my desk.

If battery was a real issue I'd get a battery pack case or one of them portable batteries. And I'd even look at other handsets.

Apple has offered 1 new phone a year. This is their trade-off. If it doesn't fit anyone's use case they need to look reduce the issue or take their business elsewhere.

Actually, I can't remember the last time the 5s lasted me a whole day. It usually dies down around 4pm, if I don't use an external charger.

The problem is, there is only so much optimisation you can do before the laws of physics take over.

A 4.7inch screen, no matter what optimisation iOS8 has, will take up power. Will an 1800mah or 2100mah battery last as long as an Android phone with a comparable screen, having a 3000mah battery? No. It just isn't possible to take away the power draw of the screen in software.

Of course, tasks can be optimised and the CPU can be underclocked so CPU processing tasks take less power.

I fear that the new iPhone will have a similar battery life to the current one, which is sadly not enough at all.

Your estimates are on the next iPhone are interesting.

Anandtech shows the 'tiny' battery in the 5s competes quite well against the 3000 mAh Android flagships.

62585.png

62586.png

More details here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7903/samsung-galaxy-s-5-review/5

I think a bump from the current 1,560 mAh to 1,810 mAh would put he iPhone close to par with those flagships and 2,100 mAh would exceed them.

I guess we'll know for sure when the thing is released.

enricopalazzo

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2014
Considering a bigger screen and nearly 2x the amount of pixel, i don't see a battery life improvement coming.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
This could be a sign that Apple is starting to take battery life more seriously. This is a 35% increase in battery capacity.

You would only need about 10-15% extra to power a bigger 4.7" screen. And the A8 is rumoured to be a 20nm chip... so we can see significant power reduction there.

Yup, here is hoping for a real increase in battery life :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.