Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:59 AM   #26
dvoros
macrumors 6502

job creation

How very nice for Europe. What about your home country FIRST and screw the rest of the world.
dvoros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:00 AM   #27
vladi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejr View Post
Nice to see this from Apple. Apple's first office opened outside of the United States was opened in Cork, Ireland in 1980 and has been based there ever since - http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/04/20...cork-timeline/

Many US politicians like to offset blame onto Ireland due to failed US economic policy, US companies in Ireland employ real people in the thousands to serve the EMEA markets.
They chose Ireland due to taxes, if I am not mistaken their global revenue goes through Ireland or something, please correct me if I'm wrong. But in the end Ireland is the reason how they make a proper tax cut and save lots of money from taxable revenue.

But they have no problem to sell you iPhone 5S in Ireland for 700 Euros while exact same thing in US is costs only 480 Euros. Who is a donkey now? They used your country to save money but at the same time they shoved a middle finger up your arses. Awesome! Global corporatism at its finest.

And "Jobs" like in any case means employment. Apple does not employ claimed half a million people in EU. End of story.
vladi is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:06 AM   #28
scbn
macrumors 6502

Misleading...

So every registered developer is considered a job created or supported by Apple? That's misleading. Some may just do it for fun, and majority of them have other day jobs.
scbn is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:06 AM   #29
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
You know what kind of people are the worst? The ones who ask for spare change, and when you give them the change in your pocket, they complain that there's not more of it.
I had a guy pick the pennies out of what I gave him and throw them on the ground once. I picked them up because they were worth more to me than they were to him, apparently.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:07 AM   #30
verpeiler
macrumors 6502

Nice (even if the numbers are a bit high), but hopefully it won't stop the EU commission to inspect the tax laws in europe; so big players like amazon, google and apple pay taxes in each country they do business.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:08 AM   #31
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbn View Post
So every registered developer is considered a job created or supported by Apple? That's misleading. Some may just do it for fun, and majority of them have other day jobs.
I wonder if they subtracted the developers who make less than the $99/year membership fee. That would remove a lot of developers.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:08 AM   #32
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
People are going to flame you for this.

I wonder how many jobs Google, Microsoft and Amazon have created using this method. There are more apps on the Play Store so did Google create more jobs?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:10 AM   #33
AxoNeuron
macrumors 6502a

500,000 developer jobs in Europe alone...? That's a stretch by any measure.

The problem with these modern tech companies is that they concentrate wealth so efficiently, and hire so few people. Claiming your company supports 500,000 developer jobs in Europe alone...? I doubt there even are that many people in Europe who know Objective-C...most of those "developers" probably just registered to get access to the betas.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:11 AM   #34
RedOrchestra
macrumors 6502a

49 cent app developers are considered as job development - over-the-top there, Apple.

Whatever it takes to pull-the-wool to get the billions "home", I guess.
RedOrchestra is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:14 AM   #35
wschutz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejr View Post
Nice to see this from Apple. Apple's first office opened outside of the United States was opened in Cork, Ireland in 1980 and has been based there ever since - http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/04/20...cork-timeline/

Many US politicians like to offset blame onto Ireland due to failed US economic policy, US companies in Ireland employ real people in the thousands to serve the EMEA markets.
They are in Ireland because of lowest corporate taxes in the EU... and hopefully this will soon come to an end.
wschutz is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:16 AM   #36
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Don't care how many jobs they claim to have created, they're still tax dodging scumbags and it's about time the authorities across Europe put a stop to it.
Shaun, UK is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:17 AM   #37
apolloa
macrumors 601

This is a REALLY funny story to post on this site. Because many a time I've had some idiot tell me in the comments that Apple doesn't make much money from the App Store

Yeah, impressive how something that makes peanuts can sustain growth and employment of 500,000 people in Europe alone....
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:17 AM   #38
thekeyring
macrumors 65816

Am I the only one waiting for 'Beats' to gain a tab at the top of Apple's website?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:20 AM   #39
organic bond
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
Apple does taxwise what is legal. You would doi the same..
No, it does not:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9AC0RW20131113

Apple, like Google and others, pays a fraction of what they should. Thieves.

And no, I do not do that.
organic bond is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:32 AM   #40
ptb42
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi View Post
But they have no problem to sell you iPhone 5S in Ireland for 700 Euros while exact same thing in US is costs only 480 Euros.
The exchange rate varies, but currently $650 USD is 487 Euros, according to Google.

In the US, an additional 7-9% will be added to the price for sales tax, depending on your jurisdiction.

How much of the 700 Euro price in Europe is VAT, and already embedded in the price? I've found a claim that it is 23%. So, to do a direct comparison:

US: 487 + 8% ( 39) = 526.
EU: 700 - 23% (161) = 539.

(Sorry, don't remember the keyboard mapping for the Euro symbol on my US keyboard)

As you can see, the iPhone is still slightly more expensive in Ireland. But, if you account for the different ways that taxes are assessed and the difference in tax rates, the magnitude is much smaller, and almost negligible.

Last edited by ptb42; Aug 6, 2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Changed VAT rate to 23%, per subsequent posting.
ptb42 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:35 AM   #41
numlock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromcm.pm View Post
And what is your solution, genius? And they claim 30%. Seems fair.
solution? to what problem?

my post had nothing to do with 70-30 ratio but apple trying to claim the ios ecosystem as 100% their doing which is typical for big business but nonsense
numlock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:42 AM   #42
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So every registered developer is considered a job created or supported by Apple?
No. That's why AAPL said 629k Jobs created or supported.

Quote:
That's misleading. Some may just do it for fun, and majority of them have other day jobs.
It's only misleading to those who didn't read their announcement closely.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:50 AM   #43
ricci
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingarbo View Post
samsung should copy this.

not!!!!!
ricci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:50 AM   #44
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrchestra View Post
The LOBBYING has begun to get those billion's of dollars stateside at a preferential tax rate. There's nothing about this that's about the greater good, NOPE, it's just Apple taking care of the shareholders - nothing more, nothing less.

I'm sure the PR press by Apple, showing what great corporate citizens they are, will continue, unabated, UNTIL, they get that money into the US.

Pinch your noses folks, this is going to get smelly.
And good for them, I say. They're protecting their own interests, while, I might add obeying the law.

There has been enough negative press garnered upon them for engaging in a practice that most US corporations, at least those with half a brain in their legal, regulatory and financial departments also engage in.

What the press really needs to focus on is why corporations such as Apple, which typically act responsibly find it necessary to engage in these financial gymnastics.

The answer is pretty simple: Greedy, power hungry, corrupt, short-sighted and incompetent politicians and bureaucrats who can't see the forest for the trees, and believe that it's better to mandate and enforce than to compete and entice. What they fail to understand, however is that the more you try to squeeze your citizens, be they actual people or corporations, the more they will work to find ways to wrestle from your grip. And the more autocratic and oppressive you become, the more you risk undermining the very foundation of the system upon which you rely to be oppressive.

Last edited by rdlink; Aug 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM.
rdlink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:53 AM   #45
ricci
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickInHouston View Post
Does anyone wonder why apple chooses to release these 'pat on the back' press releases to the public when most other companies don't. Isn't it a bit self-serving and not very humble?

It's facts my friend. Stock holders and investors like to know where the money is going and coming from! Understand business
ricci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:00 PM   #46
RedOrchestra
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
And good for them, I say. They're protecting their own interests, while, I might add obeying the law..
Apple boldly working in the underground economy, that drives up taxes for everyone.
RedOrchestra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:01 PM   #47
lukejr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi View Post
They chose Ireland due to taxes, if I am not mistaken their global revenue goes through Ireland or something, please correct me if I'm wrong. But in the end Ireland is the reason how they make a proper tax cut and save lots of money from taxable revenue.

But they have no problem to sell you iPhone 5S in Ireland for 700 Euros while exact same thing in US is costs only 480 Euros. Who is a donkey now? They used your country to save money but at the same time they shoved a middle finger up your arses. Awesome! Global corporatism at its finest.
Sales Tax, it's 23% in Ireland. EU law requires all prices to include sales tax in the displayed price, in the US they add it at POS. So your figures are misleading, it's still more expensive, but that's the same across all of Europe.

Corp tax is a big part of it, but not the only reason, Ireland has the most educated population in Europe with over 50% of thirty somethings having a minimum of a 4 year bachelor degree, we also have an extremely robust/modern immigration policy so it is easier to find and higher staff from anywhere else in the world in Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/life/famil...-29204701.html
lukejr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:01 PM   #48
ptb42
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic bond View Post
No, it does not:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9AC0RW20131113

Apple, like Google and others, pays a fraction of what they should. Thieves.

And no, I do not do that.
That's an allegation by the Italians, back in November, 2013. Has there been an update? Has Apple been prosecuted for tax fraud?

What you think Apple (or any other company) should pay in taxes is immaterial. They aren't obligated to pay a penny more than the law requires.

However, you can overpay your taxes as much as you like. In the US, you can even write an extra check to the Bureau of the Public Debt.

Of course, you are welcome to write your representative and ask them to change the law. But unless they do so, you are just whining like a child.
ptb42 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:07 PM   #49
Piggie
macrumors 603

Or how many jobs at other companies have been lost due to Apple?

It's probably all bull poo.
Think about it.

I come along with Amazing product, other firms shut down, massively reduce numbers, all those people who were buying items, don't buy much now as they don't have a job.
The companies abroad that made the goods for these companies lay of multiple thousands of staff.

However, I need staff for my amazing product, and I need people to build my amazing product, so I hire designers, and builders overseas, and all my staff now have money so can spend stuff.

You could have not ONE job created. Just churned around and screwed with people's past lives.

Yet I can boldly make the statement that I have created XXX jobs.

No I have not, I've just caused stir ups in the job market that's rippled far and wide.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:09 PM   #50
Ironduke
macrumors 65816

what a load of monkey ****

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion