Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:11 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Detailed Yet Sketchy Report Claims 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, Improved Touch ID, but No Sapphire Display for iPhone 6

VentureBeat today posted a detailed overview of features that are said to be built into Apple's upcoming iPhone 6, with the outline provided by an unspecified source. While many of the proffered specifications in VentureBeat's outline echo past rumors, there are a few new specific details worth highlighting.

According to the site's source, Apple will introduce both the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhones at its upcoming September 9 event, but while the 4.7-inch version will ship in mid-September, the larger 5.5-inch iPhone won't ship until up to a month later. This is in line with rumors suggesting the 5.5-inch iPhone isn't entering mass production until August or September, a month to two months after production is said to have began on the 4.7-inch iPhone.

iPhone 5s with mockups of 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models
Feature wise, VentureBeat points towards a new 2.0GHz A8 chip, NFC capabilities, and 802.11ac WiFi, all of which have been mentioned in previous rumors as possible specifications for the iPhone 6. The site does get into some specifics, however, suggesting the device will use Qualcomm's MDM9x35 cellular modem along with an NFC chip made by NXP and a WiFi chip from Broadcom.

Apple's Touch ID fingerprint sensor is said to include minor improvements that "speed up read times, cut down on false rejections, and improve security for mobile payments and biometrics," and the source suggests the iPhone 6 will not use a sapphire screen.
Quote:
We've also heard rumors that the new screens will be made of ultra-durable sapphire glass. Our source says the screens are made of an extremely hard material that's slightly harder than Gorilla Glass but not as hard as sapphire. That corroborates an earlier video report showing that the purported iPhone 6 screen is harder than previous models' screens but softer than sapphire crystal.
While a front panel said to be for the 4.7-inch iPhone has undergone some testing that suggests it may not be composed of sapphire, many rumors have pointed towards the use of a pure sapphire crystal display or sapphire laminated glass display in at least one of the iPhone 6 models. The volume of sapphire production at Apple's Arizona sapphire plant run by GT Advanced also points towards the heavy use of the material and it is unlikely that all of the company's sapphire is being allocated towards the iWatch. During Q2 2014 alone, GT Advanced spent over $45 million on "sapphire production ramp up costs", and previous rumors have suggested the plant can output enough sapphire to outfit approximately 100 to 200 million iPhones.

In addition to outlining possible features for the iPhone 6, VentureBeat also suggests that Apple is experimenting with special connectivity between the iPhone and Beats headphones using the Lightning connector. Apple did recently introduce a Lightning Cable MFi specification for headphones, making such a project a possibility.
Quote:
Our source adds that Apple has also been playing around with some technology that would form a special "handshake" between iPhones and Beats headphones. This consists of a chip that would authenticate Beats headsets on iPhones using the Lightning connector. Whether or not that feature materializes is anybody's guess.
VentureBeat's sources have not been particularly reliable in the past. For example, the site recently suggested Apple was pairing up with Swatch to develop the iWatch, a rumor that was quickly shot down by Swatch CEO Nick Hayek. The site's source also "stresses" that the listed features may not be the "final spec list" for the iPhone 6, so the overall reliability of the provided information is unclear.

Article Link: Detailed Yet Sketchy Report Claims 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, Improved Touch ID, but No Sapphire Display for iPhone 6
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:13 PM   #2
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

It haste have sapphire, you can't give everyone else a chance to catch up to you over the next year...
Z400Racer37 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Dilster3k
macrumors 6502

No sapphire, actually a bit of sapphire, some with some without, no no sapphire is happening... maybe? NFC no, no chance, but actually yes but no.

Guys we have a month left just chill out.

Last edited by Dilster3k; Aug 6, 2014 at 04:34 PM.
Dilster3k is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:14 PM   #4
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Latest Rumor: Apple is holding Sapphire back for their new wearable shoe mirror product.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:14 PM   #5
CarlisleUnited
macrumors 6502

Why has Apple not purchased GT Advanced? Is there any reason for it? It's not like they're short on cash.
CarlisleUnited is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:15 PM   #6
adamw
macrumors regular

Sounds very good. I like the new features that were given.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Brucewaynnee
macrumors newbie

6s = saphire
Brucewaynnee is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:16 PM   #8
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

Seems like this is been kept under wraps pretty well if no one can figure out if Sapphire is being used or not...
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:19 PM   #9
lincolntran
macrumors 6502

At this point, I don't give a rat ass about iPhone 6 rumors. They're all sketchy at best. Nobody knows anything for sure this time.
lincolntran is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:21 PM   #10
marvz
macrumors 6502a

Why are people still thinking it would be sapphire?
This video clearly shows that it's not as hard as sapphire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ANcWQEUI8
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:21 PM   #11
ionjohn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolntran View Post
At this point, I don't give a rat ass about iPhone 6 rumors. They're all sketchy at best. Nobody knows anything for sure this time.
Besides the 4.7 inch display
ionjohn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:22 PM   #12
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
okay? but isn't this expected anyways
CrazyForApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:22 PM   #13
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Can anybody see Apple doing NFC at this point in time????? I am getting the feeling that a lot of these people want to speculate and put "APPLE" in the headline to get hits.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:24 PM   #14
LordVic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Can anybody see Apple doing NFC at this point in time????? I am getting the feeling that a lot of these people want to speculate and put "APPLE" in the headline to get hits.
I'm torn.

From an ideology (lol) standpoint, it makes no sense for Apple to do NFC. They were pretty much against putting NFC in. They've taken steps to come up with viable NFCless solutions.

BUT...

Apple has NFC related patents.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:26 PM   #15
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Yes.

I doubt the 2.0GHz claim though. There were high clock speed rumors for the A7 (~1.7GHz). Then the design showed wide, not fast.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:26 PM   #16
wlossw
macrumors 6502

I would like to see NFC to speed up pairing with my SONY stuff...
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:30 PM   #17
hova
macrumors member

I bought a 4.7 inch smartphone with NFC and without sapphire glass in 2011.
hova is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:30 PM   #18
PBF
macrumors 68030

No sapphire? No problem, I'm just fine with the monkey glass.
PBF is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:32 PM   #19
rctlr
macrumors 6502

I'm still not particularly happy with the screen size, let alone all the NFC idea.
I'll be renewing my phone next month with a 5S, I'm happy with 4". More than a handful is a waste.
rctlr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:33 PM   #20
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova View Post
I bought a 4.7 inch smartphone with NFC and without sapphire glass in 2011.
Congratulations. I hope you keep it and skip the iPhone 6.

http://youtu.be/eywi0h_Y5_U
luckydcxx is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:35 PM   #21
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

If nfc is included they will have to have some big feature ready for it. Otherwise they may include it in the phone but not announce till the accompanying service is ready
CrAkD is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:35 PM   #22
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Do we trust VentureBeat? They were the ones that reported Apple was partnering with Swatch on an iWatch. Which was shot down same day I think.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:36 PM   #23
andromeda107
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlisleUnited View Post
Why has Apple not purchased GT Advanced? Is there any reason for it? It's not like they're short on cash.
Yeah there is a reason for it, you'll need to talk to Tim Cook to find out though. Sorry, no one on here will provide you with that information.
andromeda107 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:37 PM   #24
zipa
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlisleUnited View Post
Why has Apple not purchased GT Advanced?
Because it is not for sale?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:38 PM   #25
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

It makes sense (for Apple) for the minor update next year.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion