Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Why are we trusting VentureBeat? Their last rumor about Apple was a major FAIL.

I know it hurts, we all want sapphire, but Apple does this all the time. Intentionally cripple a product so they can have a talking point for the "s" release.

iPhone 6S, now with impenetrable sapphire display!!!! Magic!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why has Apple not purchased GT Advanced? Is there any reason for it? It's not like they're short on cash.

Same reason Apple hasn't purchases any of it's other suppliers... it only needs the milk, not the whole cow. GT Advanced makes a lot of industrial products not in Apple's wheelhouse.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
...Apple will introduce both the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhones...the 4.7-inch version will ship in mid-September...the larger 5.5-inch iPhone...up to a month later.

Two ship dates with "up to a month" difference?

No...freaking...way.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I'm torn.
From an ideology (lol) standpoint, it makes no sense for Apple to do NFC. They were pretty much against putting NFC in. They've taken steps to come up with viable NFCless solutions.

BUT...
Apple has NFC related patents.

Apple was absolutely against a iPad Mini ('sandpaper for your fingertips')

Never Say Never.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I'm torn.

From an ideology (lol) standpoint, it makes no sense for Apple to do NFC. They were pretty much against putting NFC in. They've taken steps to come up with viable NFCless solutions.

BUT...

Apple has NFC related patents.

I have followed Apple for years at first I thought they were approaching NFC the same method as they did with LTE, wait until the chip is not as battery sucking and huge.

But with NFC the technology has been ready to fit in an iPhone for years, I don't know enough about it to figure out why it has yet to be included, but it seems much more battery efficient than bluetooth or wi-fi communication.

But if someone who knows the technology can prove me wrong, please do.

Slim187

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
sapphire laminate may still be possible...

maybe it's not pure sapphire, but laminate is still possible. Cornings sales in smartphone glass was much lower than expected, so it may be possible that they are using glass with sapphire laminate.
I'm happy when it's stronger than the gorilla :cool:

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Why are people still thinking it would be sapphire?
This video clearly shows that it's not as hard as sapphire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ANcWQEUI8

Huh? At which point has this video been confirmed as real by Apple?

We can't take any leaks as verified because Apple test various materials at the same time to figure out the best one.

The only way we will know is next month when Apple is rumored to announce it on 9th.

Last edited:

kkamann

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I seem to recall reading an article or something a long time ago (last year) about the EU requiring all new cell phones beginning in 2015 have NFC capabilities, or something to that effect? I've tried googling and scouring the Internet since then and have come up empty. But I distinctly remember thinking at the time, "I guess iPhones will have NFC after all if they want to sell in Europe." Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Or maybe I misread it and it said phones that happen to have NFC must meet a certain standard starting in 2015?

Or maybe my old-fart brain is imagining all this. (I hope not. I don't want to be blissfully senile just yet)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
No sapphire? No problem, I'm just fine with the monkey glass.

If there's no sapphire then I'm done with Apple, seriously.

I'm just so sick of these lame upgrades.

We keep getting teased with great rumours only to be disappointed and heartbroken when the product finally arrives.

I'll be getting a Samsung. They might be unoriginal but at least they're keeping up with the technology curve.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Huh? At which point has this video been confirmed as real by Apple?

We can't take any leaks as verified because Apple test various materials at the same time to figure out the best one.

The only way we will know is next month when Apple is supposedly supposed to announce it on 9th.

That's right but to 99.9% these kind of leaks are the real deal. Less than 5 weeks! :cool:

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I don't care about sapphire glass at all.
What I do care about is improved battery life,larger display and great design.
so far only larger display is (%99.9 confirmed).battery life is likely going to be same as iphone 5s(average) and these round shape corners look super ugly.not to mention those awful plastic antena bars.
Still since I need a new phone soon,I'm hoping the final product looks nice and premium,if not I'll see to reason to waste money on iphone 6.
I'll be happy with my Mac and iPad.and will happily buy an HTC or Galaxy phone.

DoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
I seem to recall reading an article or something a long time ago (last year) about the EU requiring all new cell phones beginning in 2015 have NFC capabilities, or something to that effect? I've tried googling and scouring the Internet since then and have come up empty. But I distinctly remember thinking at the time, "I guess iPhones will have NFC after all if they want to sell in Europe." Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Or maybe I misread it and it said phones that happen to have NFC must meet a certain standard starting in 2015?

Or maybe my old-fart brain is imagining all this. (I hope not. I don't want to be blissfully senile just yet)
You're not quite in Happy Acres yet but I think you've got two stories conflated.

The EU has been drafting regulations on mobile payments, but not limited to NFC,which should cover things like Google Wallet, Passbook and PayPal but nothing has been brought into law yet.

What is being enacted is a universal micro-USB charging standard so that all phones sold from 2017 onwards will be capable of using the same charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.