Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Without thinking, I clicked "update all", which encompassed firmware updates 2.0 and 2.8

Upon reboot, it still said there was one more update, which turned out to be firmware 2.0

Again without thinking, I clicked "update", but now I'm wondering whether it installed 2.0 over the newer 2.8? System profile lists SMC Version (system): 2.13f9

Surely it would not install an older firmware over a newer version?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The two updates are nothing alike.
Firmware 2.0 is an SMC update.
Firmware 2.8 is an EFI update.
Each updates different parts of the firmware - neither replaces the other, they are entirely independent.

Finally, the firmware updaters update the firmware (not software), and cannot install simultaneously. One updater installs, which typically requires a reboot, then the second, which you already downloaded, still needed to install.
Not a problem, but you just needed two separate installs/reboots for that complete.

Gaven

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
Anyone on Macbook Air 2013 version, where keep trying to update the SMC Firmware Update 2.0, where it keep showing up update available when I have updated it countless times?

ewils19

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
It's kind of annoying and I think the Mac is not installing the update as well - as per what I check from my About Mac system report.

Under the Installations section in my System Information it says its installed three times. Not sure if this is the same place you were looking.

Gaven

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
Under the Installations section in my System Information it says its installed three times. Not sure if this is the same place you were looking.

How do you access this to look at how many times it's installed? Cheers

*Edit: I found it, and yes myself also showed that it installed 3 times as well.

ewils19

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
How do you access this to look at how many times it's installed? Cheers

*Edit: I found it, and yes myself also showed that it installed 3 times as well.

Weird. Well I guess if I have time I'll try to contact Apple Support this week. If I do I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

Gaven

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
Weird. Well I guess if I have time I'll try to contact Apple Support this week. If I do I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

Thanks, Ewils19. Do keep me posted via PM or something. Your help is greatly appreciated!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Anyone on Macbook Air 2013 version, where keep trying to update the SMC Firmware Update 2.0, where it keep showing up update available when I have updated it countless times?

Go back and Check out Post #2 above. Click on the link he provided. Scroll down to your machine. Then go to System Report. If the updates are installed the EFI Boot ROM version and SMC version will match the numbers in the link. Doesn't matter what the App Store is showing is available. Install your updates once, then check System Report for confirmation.

Lou

Gaven

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
Mine is showing 2.13f7 while the update should result in 2.13f9 - which represent that my update didn't go through.

I tried again to update - it shows the normal progress updating and restarted my laptop normally. Any idea what's happening?

ewils19

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
Go back and Check out Post #2 above. Click on the link he provided. Scroll down to your machine. Then go to System Report. If the updates are installed the EFI Boot ROM version and SMC version will match the numbers in the link. Doesn't matter what the App Store is showing is available. Install your updates once, then check System Report for confirmation.

Lou

Thanks, that was super helpful. My SMC version does not match the one at the link so it looks like the update isn't actually installing.

Edit: I just tried to install the update manually from this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1748
It worked! The SMC version is now correct and the update is gone from the App Store.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Mine is showing 2.13f7 while the update should result in 2.13f9 - which represent that my update didn't go through.

I tried again to update - it shows the normal progress updating and restarted my laptop normally. Any idea what's happening?

It may be different with the 2013, but when I had a firmware update for my 2012 Air, I had to turn off either the firmware password or Filevault, but I can't remember which one.

Gaven

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
I solved it too! I realized it was my mistake because I have both Windows and Mac on my laptop, and when it restarted I pressed on Options preventing it to complete the installation. That explains why. Haha

horray

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
Anyone experienced any issues after the update. I updated the SMC over the weekend and on Monday I begin to face issues with my office wifi router (DLink Wireless AC router). Connected but very slow browsing. :mad:

Anyone had similar issues? :eek:

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
The only issue I have since the update, is that at times the MBA won't wake up from sleep, most notably so when it goes to sleep by itself, rather than closing the lid.
If this happens, you have to hold down the power key to shutdown/restart. Not a big deal, but irksome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.