Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
My hate of EA goes back to Ultima VIII and Ultima IX... EA took one of the best selling, most beloved, and groundbreaking series in computer history (up to that point, anyways) and absolutely destroyed it. The difference in quality between Ultima VII (Origin Systems) and Ultima VIII (EA) is mind blowing.

I feel your pain :(

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
How the ********************* do I install patches (7, the most recent one)? Are they installed automatically? EA claims update 7 fixes traffic issues which is crippling my city. The traffic sits for literally DAYS without moving, no matter what I do to try and reduce congestion. Their website does not explain at all how to install patches (can't find anything on Google, either), and I'm pretty sure it is not automatic.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
It is auto. Since the game is all online you can't go online without the proper version. (Thats how most online games do.)

----------

But traffic does still suck. I can sit there and watch things do loops around blocks. Also seen them go all the way around the whole town to just go to a place 2 blocks from where they started.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I'm amazed at all the people whining and crying about a 6 month delay, but ask on any Torchlight 2 forum about the promised Mac version and they're like, "You should have known better than to buy it before it came out" etc. etc. despite them promising a Mac version shortly after the PC one. Well, it's been a LOT longer than 6 months there. At least EA kept their promise. I'll never buy a game from Runic Games again.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
It is auto. Since the game is all online you can't go online without the proper version. (Thats how most online games do.)

----------

But traffic does still suck. I can sit there and watch things do loops around blocks. Also seen them go all the way around the whole town to just go to a place 2 blocks from where they started.

I have buildings constantly burning down because the firetrucks sit in 1 spot for days because the traffic is stuck.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I view simcity as a game still in development, its improving slowly and will hopefully keep on doing so.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I had played it a little in Parallels on my MacBook Pro retina 25" 16GB, loaded with 12GB ram for Windows 7 & it was quite playable. I'm now downloading it native & will see how that goes. I won't uninstall the Windows version though until I am satisfied that performance is good on the Mac.
I am happy that EA have made this a free download for those of us who already purchased it for Windows. They have done that right.

forthelove

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Ive been running Sim City on bootcamp under Windows 8 on my 2011 Macbook Air since it came out with about half of the settings on high and half on medium with antialiasing, at full resolution for my 11" Air. The game is very playable with these settings, and looks very nice, but it is just a little slow in moving around.

Running it on my same computer on the mac side the game is completely worthless and unplayable with the same settings. The fact of just setting the settings high almost cripples the computer while still on the settings screen. Unless I lower all settings to low it is unplayable, but then the graphics really suck. Obviously something is wrong in their programming if the same game on the same computer runs at such different speeds in windows vs mac or windows is extremely and exceedingly more efficient than mac.

I have the exact same issue; I think it has more to do with OpenGL vs DirectX than it does with Win vs OSX

----------

How the ********************* do I install patches (7, the most recent one)? Are they installed automatically? EA claims update 7 fixes traffic issues which is crippling my city. The traffic sits for literally DAYS without moving, no matter what I do to try and reduce congestion. Their website does not explain at all how to install patches (can't find anything on Google, either), and I'm pretty sure it is not automatic.

They are installed automatically. When you restart the game the launcher checks to make sure you have the latest version and updates your install if necessary.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I finally got Origin app to run, installed SimCity, but it bounces in the dock and won't load. I tried the -w parameter, checked forums, nada.

Anyone help I would be greatly in your debt. :)

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I finally got Origin app to run, installed SimCity, but it bounces in the dock and won't load. I tried the -w parameter, checked forums, nada.

Anyone help I would be greatly in your debt. :)

I heard if you go into origin prefs and tick the box for origin beta participation and then restart your computer it can solve that

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I finally got it up and working in 10.9 DP7.

Many users were having trouble with QTKITSERVER, basically the Quicktime component for Quicklook viewing of media in Finder. "Activity Monitor" was listing numerous QTKITSERVER and ORIGIN apps as frozen but unable to force quit, requiring users to logout.

Additionally, a few third party app's do not play well with Origin:

- Climate: An OS X Menubar app for "Nest" thermostat monitoring/control
- Chronicle: Financial app
- VLC Streamer

Before loading the game, I closed about every app I didn't need, worked like a charm.

Either I haven't played a PC game in years or I'm easily impressed but WOW. This SimCity is amazing, the graphics, lighting, detail, sound - I turned the settings on high playing on my 12-Core Mac Pro with 2 27" displays, and it's amazing. I was able to get it full screen after experiencing the "grey" or black screen upon launch, don't know how, just clicked away. The trackpad scrolling is smooth and the animation is fun. Feel like a kid again. :)

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
I have a question.

If I bought the PC disk version will I be able to play the Mac version on my Mac?

And how the performance on the base line 13 inch retina MacBook Pro?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have a question.

If I bought the PC disk version will I be able to play the Mac version on my Mac?

And how the performance on the base line 13 inch retina MacBook Pro?

Yes, you can play on both the Mac & PC with the same purchase through Origin.

I don't have the answer about performance, and perhaps someone else can answer that.

NintendoRev

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
Question for any that have the game: Have you had any problems with it overheating your mac? I've been playing the game and each time the temperature gauge app I use was saying my iMac's GPU was running around 90c, which is a bit too hot my for liking. I'm worried if i keep on playing it on the system i'll kill off my card :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.