Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.smash

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
I would like to buy a LaCie Rugged 1TB Thunderbolt and in a few months change inside disk with SSD.
I read your post, I understand if can do but there is a limit [256GB] that supports SATA controller?
Anyone try with success?
Thank you!

InFocusAV

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2016
The LaCie will take any of the SSDs I've tried.

Let me offer a caveat, though:

- while every SSD may connect, be recognized, and appear to work, be sure to run some data integrity tests to be sure that all is well:
--- going into and coming out of sleep
--- working with both the Thunderbolt and USB interface, separately

Simply running performance benchmarks is insifficient.

As others have noted, not all SSD devices have long term data integrity. This may be due to power or other deficiencies.

Also, recall that intensive read/write cycles to a drive actually can increase power requirements. A drive may seem to work fine with occasional use, but seemingly disappear with intensive use.

Some SSD devices actually consume more power worst case than what is listed on a data sheet. Many devices are spec'ed with typical power requirements, not worst case.

There may be a reason that LaCie only offers a 256GB max size for SSDs even though they offer 2x 512GB SSDs in their wall-powered Little Big Disk. If the drive were suitable for bus power, I'm sure LaCie would have offered that configuration.

Be careful out there; you would want to damage your new computer!

I have an interesting issue. I bought several Lacie USB 3.0/Thunderbolt externals used so I could do an SSD swap and when I did, the usb 3.0 functionality was lost. I called Lacie, hiding the fact that I had done a swap, and apparently it's not as simple as just adding drivers for the functionality to the drive. Not having the usb functionality only renders it useful for my computer and not sharing content with my photo/video editors. Really stinks.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have several LaCie "Rugged" thunderbolt drives purchased as refurbished and then swapped out the 1TB hard disk for SSDs and they are functional with both interfaces. I use the USB3 with my cMacPro and the TB with iMacs and MacMinis. These are pretty old units, perhaps there were changes with newer ones. Do yours have a pendant TB cable, or is it removable?

InFocusAV

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2016
I have several LaCie "Rugged" thunderbolt drives purchased as refurbished and then swapped out the 1TB hard disk for SSDs and they are functional with both interfaces. I use the USB3 with my cMacPro and the TB with iMacs and MacMinis. These are pretty old units, perhaps there were changes with newer ones. Do yours have a pendant TB cable, or is it removable?

Removable. What brand of SSDs did you put in? I used Samsung Evo in both and neither works with usb.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I just grabbed a couple that were on my desk and one has a 1TB 840 EVO in it, and it is the newer enclosure with the pendant TB cable. I use it as offline storage and transfer of my master photo library between computers, so often uses both interfaces. I see another one uses a Crucial 512GB MX 100 in the old style case. My iMacs each have 512GB 840 EVO SSDs for bootable Windows 10 on the old style case velcro'd to the stand. These normally operate on Thunderbolt, but I just now plugged them in via USB 3.0 and they look like they are mount and read OK ... I didn't try actually booting Windows from the USB as I wasn't sure if that would screw up my installation.

Are you actually using them in a USB 3.0 port? That provides more power than the older USB 2 ports which might be too low to support a larger SSD.

Last edited:

InFocusAV

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2016
I just grabbed a couple that were on my desk and one has a 1TB 840 EVO in it, and it is the newer enclosure with the pendant TB cable. I use it as offline storage and transfer of my master photo library between computers, so often uses both interfaces. I see another one uses a Crucial 512GB MX 100 in the old style case. My iMacs each have 512GB 840 EVO SSDs for bootable Windows 10 on the old style case. These normally operate on Thunderbolt, but I just now plugged them in via USB 3.0 and they look like they are mount and read OK ... I didn't try actually booting Windows from the USB as I wasn't sure if that would screw up my installation.

Are you actually using them in a USB 3.0 port? That provides more power than the older USB 2 ports which might be too low to support a larger SSD.

Yes I'm definitely using them in a 3.0 port. What could I possibly be doing wrong?! I heard the pendant versions go bad (thunderbolt cable) so I never bought any of those.

I've even tried duplicating a blank HDD rugged drive to the ssd via thunderbolt (also a rugged) with no luck.

InFocusAV

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2016
Since there are no mode switches internal or external ... my first guess would be that you have a defective enclosure or bad cable.
I've tried multiple known working cables and if I put the original HDD back in, it works. I just don't know how old these drives are so they could fail at any minute for all I know.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I guess I am out of ideas then ... I didn't even think about it when I converted mine and started using them ... they just worked. I didn't load any "drivers" either, although I did have Windows internal at first and booted with the enclosure attached to be sure any Windows drivers were loaded, then transferred the image (WinClone) and/or physical SSD over to the enclosure. Didn't do anything special with the data disks other than format them for OS X.

sotosoul

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
Athens & Copenhagen
I had the same experience when swapping the mechanical drive with a SSD. USB functionality was lost, but thunderbolt still worked. Interestingly, when connected with USB 3.0 cable to a Mac, it is still shown in the System Information > Hardware > USB, but nothing more than that. The SSD was a Samsung Evo 256GB; I can't remember the exact model... The Lacie was the older with the detachable black Thunderbolt cable, bought in mid-to-late 2013.

InFocusAV

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2016
I had the same experience when swapping the mechanical drive with a SSD. USB functionality was lost, but thunderbolt still worked. Interestingly, when connected with USB 3.0 cable to a Mac, it is still shown in the System Information > Hardware > USB, but nothing more than that. The SSD was a Samsung Evo 256GB; I can't remember the exact model... The Lacie was the older with the detachable black Thunderbolt cable, bought in mid-to-late 2013.

Have you gotten it to work yet or changed out the SSD brand? I'm thinking about trying a crucial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.