Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:45 PM   #76
SMIDG3T
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by street.cory View Post
Take a look at the current iPod Touch..
Forgot about that...

OK, on an iPhone I'd be shocked!

MacBook Pro w/ Retina display | Late 2013 Model | OS X Yosemite 10.10
SMIDG3T is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:45 PM   #77
Futurix
macrumors regular

I wonder if the camera protrudes because of some minor optical zoom built-in - perhaps x2 or x3. Now THAT would be an acceptable compromise for me!
Futurix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:46 PM   #78
cobbyco
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIDG3T View Post
OK, on an iPhone I'd be shocked!
Why?
cobbyco is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:47 PM   #79
cmaier
macrumors G3

I seriously doubt the lens sticks out, but if it does I'd gladly welcome it in exchange for better low-light capabilities and a narrower field-of-view for the camera. (And I'd prefer the lens to stick out a tiny bit rather than making the entire phone thicker, if that's the trade-off). But, again, I doubt it will stick out.
cmaier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:47 PM   #80
gadget123
macrumors 68000

So we have a great large screen spoiled in a cheap looking case using what looks to be Ipad 2 type materials. Come on..space grey model or it's a fake.
gadget123 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:47 PM   #81
OC40
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster512 View Post
This. It is UNBELIEVABLE that Apple would allow such an AWFUL idea into the next iPhone.

Camera problems are already bad enough with existing iPhones with scratches and dust on the lens. I can't imagine what a toxic hellstew this will cause.

I can't believe Apple did this. For whoever called this CAMERAGATE, I agree. This is only the first story.
I'm glad that you have such a strong opinion...for a product that has not been released yet.
OC40 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:48 PM   #82
rcalderoni
macrumors member

was about to list my 5s gold 64 on ebay to get it sold prior to the new one coming out... but now I'm just going to wait it out... hell I might get more money AFTER the new one comes out at this rate :P
rcalderoni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:48 PM   #83
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttss6 View Post
If the iPhone 6 does have a protruding camera, then Ive has gone too far with his obsession with thinness. It makes it look tacky which is why they added the loop band to the iPod touch so that the protruding camera on it wouldn't the only thing on the back sticking out.
I for one do like the idea of a metal rear on the iPhone 6 with plastic bands across it for the antennas. I hate how the glass bands on my 5 have gotten scratched while everything else is flawless. It also brings the iPhone more in line with the unibody theme found in the other lines.
So are Nokia and Samsung obsessed with thinness too?

Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:50 PM   #84
Wild Warg
macrumors member

I hope it's a protruding camera just for entertainment factor of reading these posts.
Wild Warg is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:54 PM   #85
Wishbrah
macrumors regular

Could be protruding as a measurement for optical zoom, giving case designers an idea of how it will be while zoomed/extended. Apple certainly wouldn't need to tell them why it's protruding.

I don't know if adding a mechanical protrusion mechanism would be possible in such a thin device, though. Rumors gonna rumor.
Wishbrah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:54 PM   #86
Applefan 2013
macrumors 6502

Ive, Schiller, and Cook all chime in...

Ive: "And now the Apple logo on the back of the iPhone 6 is more robust and scratch-proof, ensuring that everyone knows you have THE BEST phone on the market."

Schiller: "The iPhone 6's new Apple logo is really astonishing seeing as it is now scratch-proof - Can't Innovate anymore my ass!"

Cook: By making the iPhone 6's Apple logo out of a scratch-resistant material, we were able to increase our profit margins by upwards of thirty-two percent.
Applefan 2013 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:58 PM   #87
andromeda107
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilster3k View Post
Wait... The... Lens pops out of the rear shell.... WHAT!?

Talk about sacrificing practicality over a sleek design.. Laying this on every surface will be a pain.
Do you use a case? I know some don't, but if you use a case, don't complain as I'm sure you can understand what I'm getting at.
andromeda107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:58 PM   #88
BigBeast
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutHands View Post
Please let that protruding lens be a mistake. please, please, please.
TC on September 9, 2014:

"And I'd like to show the new iPhone to you now..."

The lights dim, a bright line shines on a podium in the middle of the stage...

"And this year we've made it even thinner, though still flush with the cam... STOP THE SHOW! JONY WTF?!"

Jony: "Whoops! My bad."
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:59 PM   #89
ttss6
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
So are Nokia and Samsung obsessed with thinness too?

No, they are just focused on specs to get consumer attention. That's the distinction between apple and the other brands: they care about the design of the product along with new and improved features. Comparing those to an iPhone is like comparing a timex to a Rolex
ttss6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:59 PM   #90
2IS
macrumors 68020

Protruding lens won't be aesthetically pleasing, but at least it means they didn't sacrifice TOO much in the optics department. That said, if this is accurate, I'd still rather have seen the phone be thicker overall with a flush lens and a higher capacity battery.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:59 PM   #91
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applefan 2013 View Post
Ive: "And now the Apple logo on the back of the iPhone 6 is more robust and scratch-proof, ensuring that everyone knows you have THE BEST phone on the market."

Schiller: "The iPhone 6's new Apple logo is really astonishing seeing as it is now scratch-proof - Can't Innovate anymore my ass!"

Cook: By making the iPhone 6's Apple logo out of a scratch-resistant material, we were able to increase our profit margins by upwards of thirty-two percent.
So a scratch proof logo. Coming soon with the Iphone 6S, fully scratch proof? I mean if they make the logo light up and full of gimmicks I don't see the point. No doubt it will be used as some sort of link to either the Iwatch or Drebeats headphones as I read they are looking at connectivity.
gadget123 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:59 PM   #92
chupachup
Banned

Calm down. It's just like an iPod. See?

No big deal
chupachup is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 04:59 PM   #93
andromeda107
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichabod. View Post
Hmm, protruding rear camera would potentially make it see-saw when using it on a flat surface.

Camera-gate?!?
iPod Touch 5th gen. Look it up. It's already had this for 2 years.
andromeda107 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 05:01 PM   #94
andromeda107
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewelwilliams View Post
probably it's for optical zoom. if camera app is shut off, it goes back into being flushed

----------

optical zoom?
Optical zoom = mechanical parts, and I doubt Apple will do that, as they've gotten rid of a lot of things to reduce mechanical parts.
andromeda107 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 05:02 PM   #95
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

I can't believe anyone is upset about a protruding lens. It's not that big of a deal.
cmChimera is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 05:02 PM   #96
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilster3k View Post
Wait... The... Lens pops out of the rear shell.... WHAT!?

Talk about sacrificing practicality over a sleek design.. Laying this on every surface will be a pain.
I'm highly skeptical that Apple would make such a retarded design choice.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 05:03 PM   #97
andromeda107
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
I was hoping those plastic strips along the top and bottom were going to be filled in by something a bit more aesthetically pleasing. They don't look too terrible on the black version, but they do look awful on the silver. It's possible this isn't the finished back, but it's looking more and more as if it is.

Maybe Apple will give a spec bump to the 5c. I still like the design of that phone more than any other Apple has produced.
It's not finished, there isn't an iPhone logo. If the Apple is liquid metal, why not the strips?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 05:04 PM   #98
Time Less
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave12r View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but the photo can't be right?

i really like this design and think it's one of the best android phone, better than the m8 imo. i was about to switch over when it came out but i couldn't leave iOS. seeing how thin the htc antenna breaks are i cringe whenever i see the purported rear shell of the iPhone 6. maybe it could be liquid metal too like the rumored antenna logo.
Time Less is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 05:05 PM   #99
andromeda107
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster512 View Post
This. It is UNBELIEVABLE that Apple would allow such an AWFUL idea into the next iPhone.

Camera problems are already bad enough with existing iPhones with scratches and dust on the lens. I can't imagine what a toxic hellstew this will cause.

I can't believe Apple did this. For whoever called this CAMERAGATE, I agree. This is only the first story.
You can't scratch an iPhone camera lens by any normal means, so you're 100% incorrect. It's pure sapphire, and only a few things can scratch it, none of which 99.9% of the iPhones lens will ever come in contact with.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 05:06 PM   #100
juanrp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichabod. View Post
Hmm, protruding rear camera would potentially make it see-saw when using it on a flat surface.

Camera-gate?!?
Every iPhone (non-s) has had a 'gate' problem.
iPhone 4 - antenna-gate
iPhone 5 - scuff-gate
iPhone 6 - camera-gate??! (Maybe)

Wouldn't surprise me
juanrp is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion