Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milhouse994

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Vancouver, WA
So I've been using Last Pass for this purpose and I say "using" as it hasn't really taken and it's lack of (included) iOS integration is annoying.

Question for those using 1Password. I'm interested, what to your knowledge is the advantage of this over something like Last Pass or even Safari Keychain?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I thought I also remember reading somewhere that within that Dropbox file it's not really "readable", could be wrong though.

So far I have no issues. I had it for a few months and it's working great. There was an issue, but it was on the Dropbox side and long has been fixed. The support staff at AgileBits is amazing. I had so many stupid questions and they were all very helpful.

----------

I just saw the video that is awesomely, finally. I wasn't a big fan of their built in browser and on their trial I had was always copying and pasting. So since we bought this version we'll be supported for the iPhone 6 and the duration of iOS 8's software no hidden upcoming fees?

How I did it was use iCloud Keychain too, but once this update comes out, I will turn off iCloud Keychain. I have no need for it after this update!

----------

So I've been using Last Pass for this purpose and I say "using" as it hasn't really taken and it's lack of (included) iOS integration is annoying.

Question for those using 1Password. I'm interested, what to your knowledge is the advantage of this over something like Last Pass or even Safari Keychain?

My selling point was the support and none of you info is stored on any of their servers. This was a issue with me:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/227268/lastpass_ceo_exclusive_interview.html

Safari Keychain also worries a little because it's on someone else's servers. I trust Apple, but I think anything can be hacked over time.

Last edited:

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Been waiting for this to go on sale for awhile now.

I finally bought it for my Mac and iOS, I can finally get rid of Dashlane now. Dashlane is really good and I like it a lot, but I absolutely hate the subscription model, which it has.

Love 1Password.

thmsup

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
No flames pls:

what does 1password do exactly, i mean why wouldn't I just use iCloud Keychain? I know that 1Password exists longer... anyways, ..

Can someone post 5 reasons why i should choose 1PW oder iCloud Keychain?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
what does 1password do exactly, i mean why wouldn't I just use iCloud Keychain? I know that 1Password exists longer... anyways, ..

If you use a dedicated password manager with a browser plugin, you will know that Safari Keychain can never be on par. I don’t want to list all the differences here, but consider the following. Many websites rely more and more on JavaScript to handle logins, something which Safari Keychain often fails to recognise. What Safari Keychain can’t recognise, it can’t store. It’s the same for 1Password too, but there you can always create entries manually as a workaround and still use 1Password’s autofill function. 1Password simply works all the time, Safari Keychain doesn’t always.

1Password has so many useful features that you really start to appreciate once you use the app a bit longer. Things like security audits (for old, duplicate and weak passwords), password histories (comes in handy sometimes!), granular controls for password creation (many websites have different requirements), tagging and folders, the option to sync everything over Wi-Fi rather than the cloud. I also use this app to store lots of other secure data, like software licences, harddrive passwords, banking details. It’s such a powerful app, regularly updated and well-polished. It’s just the best you can get in my opinion and worth the money. With iOS 8, 1Password will almost be as tightly integrated as iCloud Keychain is now. There are no benefits to Safari Keychain anymore, other than that it’s free and included.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
how is this different than icloud keychain?
I listed some ways it's different. To me iCloud is like a box you dump all your passwords in, not organized and hard to find a password you need. 1Password is like a file cabinet, it organizes everything and you can use it on windows and android, and iCloud you can't.

No flames pls:

Easy search to find a password. iCloud Keychain, you have to scroll and scroll to find what you need

Cross platform

Dropbox lets you access your passwords from a different computer (optional)

Easy to use (and after this update, even easier)

And the support you get with issues and questions

You can customized the password. iCloud Keychain does xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx and that's it. Some sites will only let use numbers and letters, so the suggested password from iCloud will not work for theses sites because it has characters in the password.

Store more than just passwords

----------

If you use a dedicated password manager with a browser plugin, you will know that Safari Keychain can never be on par. I don’t want to list all the differences here, but consider the following. Many websites rely more and more on JavaScript to handle logins, something which Safari Keychain often fails to recognise. What Safari Keychain can’t recognise, it can’t store. It’s the same for 1Password too, but there you can always create entries manually as a workaround and still use 1Password’s autofill function. 1Password simply works all the time, Safari Keychain doesn’t always.

1Password has so many useful features that you really start to appreciate once you use the app a bit longer. Things like security audits (for old, duplicate and weak passwords), password histories (comes in handy sometimes!), granular controls for password creation (many websites have different requirements), tagging and folders, the option to sync everything over Wi-Fi rather than the cloud. I also use this app to store lots of other secure data, like software licences, harddrive passwords, banking details. It’s such a powerful app, regularly updated and well-polished. It’s just the best you can get in my opinion and worth the money. With iOS 8, 1Password will almost be as tightly integrated as iCloud Keychain is now. There are no benefits to Safari Keychain anymore, other than that it’s free and included.
That password history saved me last night making a new password.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
That password history saved me last night making a new password.

Happened to me a couple of times as well. It’s just all these features that make 1Password so awesome and you realise that the most once you actually use the app. It’s an app that has had years of development and it is continuously improved. The developers also show a lot of their expertise and dedication when engaging with their customers and community.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
No flames pls:

The iCloud Keychain is actually more convenient than 1Passsword even after the ios8 update. However, 1Password works for some logins that don't seem to work with the Keychain and has a few extra features like running an audit on all your logins and letting you know which are insecure or haven't been changed in a long time.

For most people, the iCloud Keychain is all you need. I use both. There certainly isn't a better option out there than 1Password if you want to step outside of Apple's built in solution that's for sure.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
The benefits of not using the same password for every site and service you register with far outweigh the risk of 1password being compromised.

There's also the built-in Keychain with iCloud disabled for anyone paranoid about a site being hacked. No need to use the same password for everything.

Anyway, I use Keychain just because it's built into OS X ("remember in keychain" everywhere is super handy) and, unlike 1Password, holds things besides website passwords and credit cards like RSA certificates, disk image passwords, passwords for applications, and network volume credentials. Also the 1st party advantage. It's one of my favorite features of OS X. I'd probably use 1Password if I used Windows, but I don't see any advantage of it otherwise.

Last edited:

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
So do most of you use just the mobile app, or both the mobile and Mac version?

Last edited:

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Get secure! By default I use 32 character passwords, numbers, symbols, etc. I get angry when a site only lets me use 16. Some sites even only allow 12!!!!!!

I hate that also. I think I had one that even had less than 12 for max. Was not happy about that at all.

thmsup

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Okay, thanks everyone.

I am usually not the kinda guy, that complains about paid apps. On the contrary: there a lot of developer who deserve the money.

But for the iOS(9€) and OS X (31€) Version i'd have to pay 40€ which is equivalent to around $53. And that seems a bit much, even though its about securing PASSWORDs...

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
To this date, 1Password was the highest costing app I've ever bought for my iOS and OSX devices. And to this date, I have zero regrets buying them. I use them daily, never have to worry about remembering a password for anything, and I can safely store more sensitive information. I don't mind paying for something if it is worth it, and trust me, they are freaking worth it! Bring on iOS 8 and Yosemite!

13astion

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2010
Yes, it is an awesome utility. Used it just now to log into the forums. :)

Also, it can, for the most part, replace bookmark managers, and with syncing enabled, you get your bookmarks and passwords on all your devices -- perfect!

Used that just today, too, when I was setting up browsers for testing in a Win7 virtual machine.

Install browsers. Install Dropbox. Install 1Password. Hit up the browser integration installations. Boom -- done!

Get to work, with all my bookmarks and logins ready to go.

Such a time saver. And a super-secure one, at that!

I agree 100%

I wasn't excited for iOS 8 until I heard about what it can do for 1password, and now I am excited.

Yes, there is a video on their website and it's really easy to use now with iOS 8

^^^ Oh, and really excited to see the iOS Safari integration. As much as I like 1Password, never cared much for the integrated browser...

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Am I crazy to think $34.99 on a Mac for a password utility is overpriced severely? And $9.99 on iOS?

I thought this, too, until I finally was persuaded to buy it. Totally worth it, both for peace of mind and for the convenience of being able to use complex passwords without having to remember them on any platform.

13astion

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2010
1Password also has a fantastic password generator. I dunno -- does Keychain? I haven't used Keychain for much more than domain logins, certs, network passwords (although I usually make entries in 1Password for the non-volatile networks I use, because it is more difficult to view the password if you need to).

It is also a handy "virtual wallet", as I put in my passports, IDs, credit cards, bank accounts, etc. Any sensitive personal information that I might want to have when I'm out-and-about -- it's right there in my iPhone, safe and secure. (At least, that's the advertisement ;-) )

The iCloud Keychain is actually more convenient than 1Passsword even after the ios8 update. However, 1Password works for some logins that don't seem to work with the Keychain and has a few extra features like running an audit on all your logins and letting you know which are insecure or haven't been changed in a long time.

For most people, the iCloud Keychain is all you need. I use both. There certainly isn't a better option out there than 1Password if you want to step outside of Apple's built in solution that's for sure.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I bought 1Password Mac for $25 and the iOS version for $8 a couple years ago. I would buy them again at regular price no question. My advice is if you don't already have this app, take this discount and run! One of my favorite apps of all time. Makes it easy to have a secure password that is different for every site. I use this across hundreds of logins and can't wait for the new iOS features. 10/10 tell your friends. Everyone should use this app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.