Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 7, 2014, 07:09 PM   #26
milhouse994
macrumors regular

So I've been using Last Pass for this purpose and I say "using" as it hasn't really taken and it's lack of (included) iOS integration is annoying.

Question for those using 1Password. I'm interested, what to your knowledge is the advantage of this over something like Last Pass or even Safari Keychain?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 07:17 PM   #27
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I thought I also remember reading somewhere that within that Dropbox file it's not really "readable", could be wrong though.
So far I have no issues. I had it for a few months and it's working great. There was an issue, but it was on the Dropbox side and long has been fixed. The support staff at AgileBits is amazing. I had so many stupid questions and they were all very helpful.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I just saw the video that is awesomely, finally. I wasn't a big fan of their built in browser and on their trial I had was always copying and pasting. So since we bought this version we'll be supported for the iPhone 6 and the duration of iOS 8's software no hidden upcoming fees?
How I did it was use iCloud Keychain too, but once this update comes out, I will turn off iCloud Keychain. I have no need for it after this update!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse994 View Post
So I've been using Last Pass for this purpose and I say "using" as it hasn't really taken and it's lack of (included) iOS integration is annoying.

Question for those using 1Password. I'm interested, what to your knowledge is the advantage of this over something like Last Pass or even Safari Keychain?
My selling point was the support and none of you info is stored on any of their servers. This was a issue with me:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/22726...interview.html

Safari Keychain also worries a little because it's on someone else's servers. I trust Apple, but I think anything can be hacked over time.

Last edited by Primejimbo; Aug 7, 2014 at 08:16 PM.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 07:37 PM   #28
rmbpuser
macrumors regular

how is this different than icloud keychain?
rmbpuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 07:37 PM   #29
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Been waiting for this to go on sale for awhile now.

I finally bought it for my Mac and iOS, I can finally get rid of Dashlane now. Dashlane is really good and I like it a lot, but I absolutely hate the subscription model, which it has.

Love 1Password.
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 07:39 PM   #30
thmsup
macrumors newbie

No flames pls:

what does 1password do exactly, i mean why wouldn't I just use iCloud Keychain? I know that 1Password exists longer... anyways, ..

Can someone post 5 reasons why i should choose 1PW oder iCloud Keychain?
thmsup is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 07:42 PM   #31
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse994 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmsup View Post
what does 1password do exactly, i mean why wouldn't I just use iCloud Keychain? I know that 1Password exists longer... anyways, ..

If you use a dedicated password manager with a browser plugin, you will know that Safari Keychain can never be on par. I don’t want to list all the differences here, but consider the following. Many websites rely more and more on JavaScript to handle logins, something which Safari Keychain often fails to recognise. What Safari Keychain can’t recognise, it can’t store. It’s the same for 1Password too, but there you can always create entries manually as a workaround and still use 1Password’s autofill function. 1Password simply works all the time, Safari Keychain doesn’t always.

1Password has so many useful features that you really start to appreciate once you use the app a bit longer. Things like security audits (for old, duplicate and weak passwords), password histories (comes in handy sometimes!), granular controls for password creation (many websites have different requirements), tagging and folders, the option to sync everything over Wi-Fi rather than the cloud. I also use this app to store lots of other secure data, like software licences, harddrive passwords, banking details. It’s such a powerful app, regularly updated and well-polished. It’s just the best you can get in my opinion and worth the money. With iOS 8, 1Password will almost be as tightly integrated as iCloud Keychain is now. There are no benefits to Safari Keychain anymore, other than that it’s free and included.
KALLT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 07:52 PM   #32
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbpuser View Post
how is this different than icloud keychain?
I listed some ways it's different. To me iCloud is like a box you dump all your passwords in, not organized and hard to find a password you need. 1Password is like a file cabinet, it organizes everything and you can use it on windows and android, and iCloud you can't.

Quote:
No flames pls:

Easy search to find a password. iCloud Keychain, you have to scroll and scroll to find what you need

Cross platform

Dropbox lets you access your passwords from a different computer (optional)

Easy to use (and after this update, even easier)

And the support you get with issues and questions

You can customized the password. iCloud Keychain does xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx and that's it. Some sites will only let use numbers and letters, so the suggested password from iCloud will not work for theses sites because it has characters in the password.

Store more than just passwords

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALLT View Post
If you use a dedicated password manager with a browser plugin, you will know that Safari Keychain can never be on par. I don’t want to list all the differences here, but consider the following. Many websites rely more and more on JavaScript to handle logins, something which Safari Keychain often fails to recognise. What Safari Keychain can’t recognise, it can’t store. It’s the same for 1Password too, but there you can always create entries manually as a workaround and still use 1Password’s autofill function. 1Password simply works all the time, Safari Keychain doesn’t always.

1Password has so many useful features that you really start to appreciate once you use the app a bit longer. Things like security audits (for old, duplicate and weak passwords), password histories (comes in handy sometimes!), granular controls for password creation (many websites have different requirements), tagging and folders, the option to sync everything over Wi-Fi rather than the cloud. I also use this app to store lots of other secure data, like software licences, harddrive passwords, banking details. It’s such a powerful app, regularly updated and well-polished. It’s just the best you can get in my opinion and worth the money. With iOS 8, 1Password will almost be as tightly integrated as iCloud Keychain is now. There are no benefits to Safari Keychain anymore, other than that it’s free and included.
That password history saved me last night making a new password.
Primejimbo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 08:06 PM   #33
markyr17
macrumors Demi-God

I finally bought 1password......

Thanks, MacRumors...
markyr17 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 08:07 PM   #34
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
That password history saved me last night making a new password.
Happened to me a couple of times as well. Itís just all these features that make 1Password so awesome and you realise that the most once you actually use the app. Itís an app that has had years of development and it is continuously improved. The developers also show a lot of their expertise and dedication when engaging with their customers and community.
KALLT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 08:31 PM   #35
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No flames pls:

The iCloud Keychain is actually more convenient than 1Passsword even after the ios8 update. However, 1Password works for some logins that don't seem to work with the Keychain and has a few extra features like running an audit on all your logins and letting you know which are insecure or haven't been changed in a long time.

For most people, the iCloud Keychain is all you need. I use both. There certainly isn't a better option out there than 1Password if you want to step outside of Apple's built in solution that's for sure.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 08:34 PM   #36
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jest3r View Post
The benefits of not using the same password for every site and service you register with far outweigh the risk of 1password being compromised.
There's also the built-in Keychain with iCloud disabled for anyone paranoid about a site being hacked. No need to use the same password for everything.

Anyway, I use Keychain just because it's built into OS X ("remember in keychain" everywhere is super handy) and, unlike 1Password, holds things besides website passwords and credit cards like RSA certificates, disk image passwords, passwords for applications, and network volume credentials. Also the 1st party advantage. It's one of my favorite features of OS X. I'd probably use 1Password if I used Windows, but I don't see any advantage of it otherwise.
Fun fact: iPhone 5 aspect ratio = 640/1136 ≈ .5634. 9/16 = .5625. 639/1136 = .5625. Its screen is exactly one pixel too wide to be 9:16.

Last edited by PocketSand11; Aug 7, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
PocketSand11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 08:35 PM   #37
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020

How is this different from iPassword? (Which is free)

https://appsto.re/us/zZfQG.i
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 08:37 PM   #38
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post

1Password is not sketchy-looking
Fun fact: iPhone 5 aspect ratio = 640/1136 ≈ .5634. 9/16 = .5625. 639/1136 = .5625. Its screen is exactly one pixel too wide to be 9:16.
PocketSand11 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 08:39 PM   #39
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

So you have to purchase these apps sepperately for OS X and iOS?
SchneiderMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 09:02 PM   #40
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

So do most of you use just the mobile app, or both the mobile and Mac version?

Last edited by Koodauw; Aug 7, 2014 at 09:25 PM.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 09:04 PM   #41
thedeejay
macrumors 65816

I don't buy too many apps but this one I bought without hesitation last year and I still love it.
thedeejay is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 09:19 PM   #42
cerote
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
Get secure! By default I use 32 character passwords, numbers, symbols, etc. I get angry when a site only lets me use 16. Some sites even only allow 12!!!!!!
I hate that also. I think I had one that even had less than 12 for max. Was not happy about that at all.
cerote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 09:30 PM   #43
thmsup
macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks everyone.

I am usually not the kinda guy, that complains about paid apps. On the contrary: there a lot of developer who deserve the money.

But for the iOS(9Ä) and OS X (31Ä) Version i'd have to pay 40Ä which is equivalent to around $53. And that seems a bit much, even though its about securing PASSWORDs...
thmsup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 09:38 PM   #44
madsci954
macrumors 68000

To this date, 1Password was the highest costing app I've ever bought for my iOS and OSX devices. And to this date, I have zero regrets buying them. I use them daily, never have to worry about remembering a password for anything, and I can safely store more sensitive information. I don't mind paying for something if it is worth it, and trust me, they are freaking worth it! Bring on iOS 8 and Yosemite!
madsci954 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:07 PM   #45
thmsup
macrumors newbie

Shut up already guys. I just purchased it.
thmsup is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:29 PM   #46
13astion
macrumors newbie

Yes, it is an awesome utility. Used it just now to log into the forums. :-)

Also, it can, for the most part, replace bookmark managers, and with syncing enabled, you get your bookmarks and passwords on all your devices -- perfect!

Used that just today, too, when I was setting up browsers for testing in a Win7 virtual machine.

Install browsers. Install Dropbox. Install 1Password. Hit up the browser integration installations. Boom -- done!

Get to work, with all my bookmarks and logins ready to go.

Such a time saver. And a super-secure one, at that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
I agree 100%

I wasn't excited for iOS 8 until I heard about what it can do for 1password, and now I am excited.

Yes, there is a video on their website and it's really easy to use now with iOS 8
^^^ Oh, and really excited to see the iOS Safari integration. As much as I like 1Password, never cared much for the integrated browser...
13astion is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:32 PM   #47
bluespark
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusignorello View Post
Am I crazy to think $34.99 on a Mac for a password utility is overpriced severely? And $9.99 on iOS?
I thought this, too, until I finally was persuaded to buy it. Totally worth it, both for peace of mind and for the convenience of being able to use complex passwords without having to remember them on any platform.
bluespark is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:38 PM   #48
13astion
macrumors newbie

1Password also has a fantastic password generator. I dunno -- does Keychain? I haven't used Keychain for much more than domain logins, certs, network passwords (although I usually make entries in 1Password for the non-volatile networks I use, because it is more difficult to view the password if you need to).

It is also a handy "virtual wallet", as I put in my passports, IDs, credit cards, bank accounts, etc. Any sensitive personal information that I might want to have when I'm out-and-about -- it's right there in my iPhone, safe and secure. (At least, that's the advertisement ;-) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
The iCloud Keychain is actually more convenient than 1Passsword even after the ios8 update. However, 1Password works for some logins that don't seem to work with the Keychain and has a few extra features like running an audit on all your logins and letting you know which are insecure or haven't been changed in a long time.

For most people, the iCloud Keychain is all you need. I use both. There certainly isn't a better option out there than 1Password if you want to step outside of Apple's built in solution that's for sure.
13astion is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:26 PM   #49
macduke
macrumors 68040

I bought 1Password Mac for $25 and the iOS version for $8 a couple years ago. I would buy them again at regular price no question. My advice is if you don't already have this app, take this discount and run! One of my favorite apps of all time. Makes it easy to have a secure password that is different for every site. I use this across hundreds of logins and can't wait for the new iOS features. 10/10 tell your friends. Everyone should use this app.
macduke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:39 AM   #50
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post

Woah, you'd put your passwords in that? No way. If they're happy to steal a logo, what else are they stealing?
mw360 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion