Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Square-Enix's classic RPG Dragon Quest IV has launched for iOS devices. Originally released over ten years ago, the game allows players to take the role of five different protagonists through five different chapters, with a bonus sixth chapter included in this newest release. Gameplay centers around a turn-based battle system, as the game's controls, menus, and overall interface are all optimized for iOS devices.

dragon_quest_iv-800x456.jpg
Dragon Quest IV, the first installment in the Zenithian Trilogy, is now out on mobile devices!
- This epic adventure, unfolding over five unique chapters, each focusing on a different cast of characters, can now be enjoyed on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad!
- Chat with your loyal companions any time you like during your adventure!
They'll tell you all kinds of interesting things, depending on where you are in the story, and what heroic feats you have accomplished!
- Tired of giving orders? Your faithful companions can be instructed to fight automatically! Use the various tactics at your disposal to see off even the toughest enemies with ease!
- Chapter 6? Experience an extra chapter past the ending and explore a challenging bonus dungeon.
Dragon Quest IV is available for the iPhone and iPad for $14.99 and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Update 8:31 AM: Our sister site TouchArcade has posted a thorough review of Dragon Quest IV.

Article Link: Square-Enix Releases Turn-Based RPG 'Dragon Quest IV' for iOS

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Apparently, it's not Dragon Quest but a new game called "Dargon Quest IV".

Attachments

• dargon.jpg
    dargon.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 220

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
Is it just me, or looking at these screenshots, the only differences between the iPhone and iPad versions are that the iPad version's overall width is slightly stretched and somehow lighter in color, similar to GBA ports from SNES games?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
My biggest issue with any Squate Enix app,is the lack of support.,,I mean, Final Fanstasy 1 and 2 haven't even been updated for 4" displays.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Couldn't find it on the App Store when I searched for it, but found it with the direct link on Mac Rumors. A lot of people won't see it listed under "Dargon Quest IV" lol

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Oh hell yes! I was/am a huge fan of Dragon Warrior (had at one time 1-4 on the NES). Now with an emulator, I'm just finishing the original Dragon Warrior and intend to play 2-3-4 also. I noticed that the series went on in SNES and other consoles and that the actual original (maybe Japanese)version was called Dragon Quest. Especially with the NES version of Dragon Warrior IV, I don't remember it looking like the pictures here but I imagine the same map and story (I totally remember the name Ragnar from one of the screenshots). Anyway, I didn't realize that Square Enix also had DQ8... I might want to try that. In both cases, the $15 or $20 is a bit steep. $5-$10 would be more reasonable IMO.
Jeff

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
My biggest issue with any Squate Enix app,is the lack of support.,,I mean, Final Fanstasy 1 and 2 haven't even been updated for 4" displays.

This is basically why I haven't bought any Square Enix games since upgrading to my iPhone 5 and noticing that none of their earlier releases were updated for the change in screen size.

It wouldn't be such a big deal, but they really do charge a pretty penny for what are ports of old games.

Based on Square Enix's history, I doubt this game will ever be updated to take advantage of the new screen size(s) the next gen iPhone(s) will have.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Was this on the old Sega Dreamcast ever? There was an old RPG I used to love to play on the Dreamcast....but I don't remember the name....

EDIT: Nvm....I was thinking of a turn based game....damnit, now I want to remember what it was!

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Was this on the old Sega Dreamcast ever? There was an old RPG I used to love to play on the Dreamcast....but I don't remember the name....

EDIT: Nvm....I was thinking of a turn based game....damnit, now I want to remember what it was!
Skies of Arcadia?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002

I'm guessing Grandia II

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Skies of Arcadia?

I'm guessing Grandia II

Ha, this'll be fun - no to both.

I started thinking more about it and it could've been an original Xbox game as well.....I've gone through the lists on wikipedia and it hasn't popped into my head yet.

I'm talking a turn-based game in which you can level various characters up and have a lineup of 4-5 characters with you at a time. Set in a fantasy world (knights, dragons that sort of thing). It was a 2D game....kinda like the old Star Wars PC Game Yoda Stories. This is really gonna bug me.....

EDIT: Got it - Shining Force. Man I loved that game... :)

Which is also on iOS! Oh my...I'm gonna be wasting some time at lunch.

Last edited:

Jmerithew87

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014

Evolution and Skies of Arcadia are the two big Dreamcast turn based RPGs that I remember.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Have you never heard of Chrono Cross?

Yeah. Never played it (never had a Playstation, and didn't care enough to emulate it), but naturally I read about it/saw screenshots and wasn't very interested. Totally different characters, not a 2D adventure (I wish they could remake CT in all its 16-bit glory at maybe 1.5x-2x the resolution), and just not what I was looking for.

There was a 3D remake of the project which came along quite far until Square sent them a C&D like 5-6 years into its development.

I have played Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes. Which was kind of fun :)

----------

Wouldn't changing the aspect ratio/increasing horizontal pixels require an entire rewiring of the game? And I feel like to do that they'd have to go back to the original assembly code that's being emulated and start mucking around. I doubt there are too many people these days still up to doing that.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
One of these days I need to hook up my PS2 and finish Dragon Quest on there... I know that I enjoyed the game, but I stopped playing it for some reason!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I find it hard to go back to those Mode7 type JRPGs now. FF3 and 4 on the DS spoilt me.
Just started playing Dragon Quest 9 on my DS, it's a couple of years old now and it's insanely epic. My fave in the series so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.