Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple next-generation iPhone is still over a month away from being announced, a number of clones from various companies have hit the market to try and capitalize on customer anticipation. In a video posted to his channel, YouTuber Jonathan Morrison took Goophone's "i6" clone to Hollywood Boulevard to see if people would see the Android-based device as a real iPhone 6.

Individuals were told that the clone was the iPhone 6 and came with a number of new features, including an eight-day battery life, an "A10" processor, and a high-resolution 8K sapphire display with 3D capabilities. Most people in fact believed those features, with one man proclaiming the phone felt "super fast" and another saying that the display "looked much clearer" than the display on his iPhone 5s.

At one point, a young individual in a crowd asks "How many milliamps does it have?" Morrison replies with "7,000", causing the person to respond "How does that fit in there?!" Others were also told about additional features, with one woman believing that the phone's photos were too high of a resolution for its screen, and a man in awe over the claimed "26-core" processor.

After being asked about Apple's efforts in comparison to Samsung's, one man even claims that the device is "really great" and that Apple has "caught up with this one." Late night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel pulled a similar prank on Hollywood Boulevard last month, with his team showing pedestrians a $20 Casio watch and claiming it to be Apple's long-awaited iWatch.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Clone Passed Off as Real Product to Street-Goers in Prank Video

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Americans by any chance?

As I've started traveling more, I've found that these people aren't just in America - they're everywhere. I don't know how it's come to be that we got the reputation, because you could gotten the same material in America, Canada, the UK, or India.

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Americans by any chance?

It's a universal thing.. not just for Americans, and not just for SmartPhones.. You could walk up and do that with almost any Technology.. Laptops, watches, cars, etc. and BS almost any technical aspect. People tend to believe you, if they don't understand something, unless you give them an immediate reason not too.

Its the concept of trust first :), burn me once hang you high! :mad:
- You see it almost with anything if it's not something a person knows about.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Ok? So we have a MTV prank show now ! Or was that just a commercial break and NOW BACK TO THE RUMORS ???#

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
If its made by Apple it must be the best...even if its a piece of ****. ;-)

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
This is your average consumer. People on this board will argue for days over specs, but Apple continues to focus on features and ease of use.

DRShissler

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2014
These kinds if videos are just stupid. Just because someone doesn't stay up to daye on every bit of Apple news doesn't make them dumb. How many people here would know the difference between a new Windows Phone or one that was last year's model? Or a new Mustang and one that was a year old. This youtuber needs to get a life. Let's have real news and rumors on this site and stay away from junk like this.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
They aren't MacRumors members...that's for sure.

I could identify that thing from a mile away.

Just your average consumer. :rolleyes:

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
"I don't like Apple" and continues to walk... Typical Apple hater. I'll atleast check out other products to make sure I'm not missing out on stuff.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
This is getting old real quick and I'm a Android fanatic. More people than us geeks don't care about these gadgets like we do. I visit more tech sites than so many people I know I'm embarrassed to tell them. I'm actually taking a day off for Apple's announcement and I could care less about buying one. I just like major announcements and I hope that something magical happens. I always regret missing the first 3 iphone announcements because things could have been different; I've never owned a iPhone for more than 3 weeks.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
These kinds if videos are just stupid. Just because someone doesn't stay up to daye on every bit of Apple news doesn't make them dumb. How many people here would know the difference between a new Windows Phone or one that was last year's model? Or a new Mustang and one that was a year old. This youtuber needs to get a life. Let's have real news and rumors on this site and stay away from junk like this.

You got me on cars. The only cars I look at are between 8 and 10 years old. Because I don't want a car payment I only look at cars that I can pay for with cash. So I could care less about a 2015 model that is until 2025.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
it's unbelievable how clueless people are. just tell them it's fast/light/durable/etc and they'll believe it...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

IDK, the people seem to ask fairly technical questions, such as "How many miliamps does it have!?" - then they're shocked at the answer of 7000, as they rightfully should be. Although I think there's battery technology in the pipeline to make this a reality within a year or two (pretty sure Tesla is banking on it for their affordable cars they have in the pipeline), my understanding is it's not going to be available soon enough for the iPhone 6. There's some slim chance Apple could have the battery technology in next years phone, but if I had to bet money I'd say it won't be in Apple's products until 2016.

Anyways... I have zero interest in spending a lot of money on a car that isn't all electric. I'm willing to drive gas powered (and only gas powered - none of that half-baked hybrid bullcrap) cars as long as they're cheap and reliable, but I'm not spending over $5K on a car unless it's all electric (at which point the amount I'm willing to spend goes to $40K. Throw in self driving and I'll pay $200K for it. Self driving is an investment that pays for itself in ~5 years in time saved.)

Last edited:

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
IDK, the people seem to ask fairly technical questions, such as "How many miliamps does it have!?" - then they're shocked at the answer of 7000, as they rightfully should be.

from my little experience, there are many who pretend to be techies and as soon as they show you their newly bought gadget start spitting numbers of technical features they just read from the spec sheet without even knowing what they actually mean...
that's the typical gratification feedback one seeks for after spending lots of money on whatever thing.

aacealo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
I just had a discussion a few days ago where, even after explaining differences between Android and iOS that are very fundamental as well as SMTP, my audience still thought I was blowing steam.

A person I talked to honestly thought that her iPhone was the cause of a computer virus. I suppose it's possible, but I haven't heard of such a thing yet. She claimed that when she plugged her iPhone into her computer, the iPhone gave her computer a virus. Supposedly it also did the same thing to her grandparent's computer.

My guess is she had an infected file, probably sent through email, that was responsible. That is, if the experience is even real. I find so much of what people tell me to be less than accurate when it comes to computer viruses. Anyway, she now refuses to buy an iPhone because she thinks they're virus prone... Never mind that only about 1% of mobile malware affects iOS and never mind that she switched to Android... -_-

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
This guy could work as a Apple Genius ;)

----------

"I don't like Apple" and continues to walk... Typical Apple hater. I'll atleast check out other products to make sure I'm not missing out on stuff.

Yeah.... he was the real fool in this video lol...... :) Probably the only guy that was not completely gullible.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I just had a discussion a few days ago where, even after explaining differences between Android and iOS that are very fundamental as well as SMTP, my audience still thought I was blowing steam.

A person I talked to honestly thought that her iPhone was the cause of a computer virus. I suppose it's possible, but I haven't heard of such a thing yet. She claimed that when she plugged her iPhone into her computer, the iPhone gave her computer a virus. Supposedly it also did the same thing to her grandparent's computer.

My guess is she had an infected file, probably sent through email, that was responsible. That is, if the experience is even real. I find so much of what people tell me to be less than accurate when it comes to computer viruses. Anyway, she now refuses to buy an iPhone because she thinks they're virus prone... Never mind that only about 1% of mobile malware affects iOS and never mind that she switched to Android... -_-

My guess is she has no idea what she's talking about.

Wild Warg

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
meh, moving along. hopefully to something that's related to rumors or macs.

Never understood pointless comments like this. You presumably read the article, clicked the comment button, and posted a comment about how you aren't interested. I'm sure this makes sense to somebody.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.