Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rixax

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
a new device for journalists

Yep, this may look like a simple smiley face button but notice the tiny hole in the nostril. It has a miniature camera and microphone that captures wides angle 4k 60 frames/sec 4096 x 2160 Effective Sensor Area video, 48/24 sound and wifi (wifi must be within 1000 yards using new bluetooth 10.

Notice the little computer that looks like a smartie glued to the back. That's a 6 core intel processor that encodes and streams even as it stores (included is a 4 terabyte micro sd card (removable with a sewing needle) or sends full bandwidth video to the bluetooth receiver.

Yes, and you can order any smiley face you want, or get a customized front with text i.e. "I'm Just Following Orders" (any font you want) for a small upgrade price.

..... And no, I didn't fall for the prank. I hate that junk.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
You have to realize this is a guy trying to get hits on his YouTube channel. Obviously there would have been some people who realized his trick and called him out - he just edits those people out.

And as for the rest, most people know little to nothing about technology. Smartphones were not mainstream devices until a few years ago. It has been nearly a year since the iPhone 5s came out and a guy with a cameraman is holding a box that says iPhone 6 and showing off the phone - most people will inherently believe him, because you assume he has no motive to be lying to you.

And then he asks leading questions like "Can you feel how fast it is?" the easy answer is to confirm his observation because he has used it for more than the 20 seconds you have been holding it.

Just some observations for those thinking that these people are dumb for believing him.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
These kinds if videos are just stupid. Just because someone doesn't stay up to daye on every bit of Apple news doesn't make them dumb. How many people here would know the difference between a new Windows Phone or one that was last year's model? Or a new Mustang and one that was a year old. This youtuber needs to get a life. Let's have real news and rumors on this site and stay away from junk like this.

Exactly. Unless someone's job or personal interests concern technical details, it often makes good sense for them not to concern themselves with such things. Contrary to what some here might think, lack of particularized technical knowledge is not a marker for stupidity.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The kid asking about the mah, then asking how's that fit in there, almost blew his prank.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Because other people have other interests and don't care about a stupid phone?

No, it's not about that.

Most people on the streets would not be able to tell you anything about the iPhone other than the color and capacity because that's what they chose when they bought it.

It's being a bit educated so you know your phone better.

That's just me.

Last edited:

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
This is getting old real quick and I'm a Android fanatic. More people than us geeks don't care about these gadgets like we do. I visit more tech sites than so many people I know I'm embarrassed to tell them. I'm actually taking a day off for Apple's announcement and I could care less about buying one. I just like major announcements and I hope that something magical happens. I always regret missing the first 3 iphone announcements because things could have been different; I've never owned a iPhone for more than 3 weeks.

Hey everyone, I found an Android fanatic. Everyone take a torch and pitchfork and form a nice orderly angry mob. Get him! :)

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Never understood pointless comments like this. You presumably read the article, clicked the comment button, and posted a comment about how you aren't interested. I'm sure this makes sense to somebody.

meh, not interested in this comment about my comment. moving along.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
The placebo effect works, even when it comes to gadgets.

No reason to make fun of people; we all succumb to it.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
The title for this story should be:

"Yet another demonstration that if you talk to enough people and only show the responses from idiots you can make it look like people are stupid in general."

Fun for late-night talk shows, but terrible for making any judgments about people's intellectual abilities.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
This is your average consumer. People on this board will argue for days over specs, but Apple continues to focus on features and ease of use.

Exactly. People here might go ballistic if the larger iPhone gets marginally better specs (may not happen, but it could), but the average consumer won't give a you know what about that.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Something that most of you probably don't know about me is that I'm a Craftsman® lawn mower enthusiast.

Anyway, this video reminds me of the time I replaced the grass bag on my model which is this year's model with a different color grass bag, and I was talking to my neighbor and I told him it was an early-release of next year's model and he was all like "oh, yeah, it sounds a little bit quieter than the previous model" and I was all like "I WAS LYING! IT'S THIS YEAR'S MODEL!! YOU IDIOT!!! HAA!!!!"
And suffice to say, I think he was just a little bit embarrassed.

I don't know. The guys at the Craftsman® forums seemed to get a kick out of it.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Let me explain

I have done man-in-the-street interviews. A master at it explained how you do it. You barge into the victim/subject's space, and put the mike right in their face. You smile and say, "Hi!" and then you ask the question. When they don't say much, you smile and poke the mic at them. So they say something else, and again, and again. It's not marked by your voice, so you can cut it to say whatever you want. And the editing room floor is a foot deep in film/tape when you finish. You pick only the reactions you want, and then people who see it think what you want them to think. I did one set of questions near Valentine's Day, and I got a touching little film as people -- one in about 12 -- said something funny, or touching. And then I put music behind it. Voila! Stupid people, funny people, angry people, whatever you want. Think about that when you think Jay is a nice guy, while Jay Walking was an item that showed the stupidest people in creation. There were lots of smart people who were cut out.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
All the Apple groupies here are cracking me up with how defensive they get ! :D:D:D

But really, this is how the rest of the world see weirdos so fanatically and religiously tied to a Brand.

Lets just say you folks don't come off as smart or informed.:p

I use a Windows server ,

a Linux terminal ,

a Roku for TV ,

a Nexus 7 for reading in the bathroom ,

a Kindle for the pool (Sunbathing)

a Chromebook for travel

and an iPhone for day to day crap (with hotspot for the Chromebook)

DIVERSIFY PEOPLE !

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
All I can say is American TV is not reality, it's all scripted reality, normal people in the street these are not!

This is the country that was rocked with controversy when fans found out WWF was for show and not real!?

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
At one point, a young individual in a crowd asks "How many milliamps does it have?"

When people ask this instead of how much battery life you actually get, you get the flaw in the spec-obsessed world android users live in.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I thought it was pretty funny, especially the parts about how great the display is because it's pixellated and Apple doing away with Siri.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Obviously no readers of this site... I always wonder what they do with the people who aren't fooled...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.