macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
people still pay for apps?
Thumb resize.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:14 AM   #27
yourtoys7
macrumors 6502a

You buy an app in its condition, if/ when developer updates/ changes/ screws up the app, well, nothing you can do, your money is wasted...
For this reason I will not buy an app...
You should have a choice to remain/ keep the original app if you want to as you paid for it...
Why we don't get 7 day trial, if your app is good, I'll keep it, it it sucks I'll should be able to return just like many other goods...
For this reason I purchase very, very rarely.
yourtoys7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:20 AM   #28
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourtoys7 View Post
You buy an app in its condition, if/ when developer updates/ changes/ screws up the app, well, nothing you can do, your money is wasted...
You should have a choice to remain/ keep the original app if you want to as you paid for it...
  1. Don't update the app.
  2. Keep backups.
  3. There is no step 3.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:22 AM   #29
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci View Post
We are just talking a few dollars right????? I hope you didn't skip lunch?
Its the principle. They doubled their price just before the dreams ad came out. Look at the price history on app shopper. Now apple puts it on sale it drops to the price before they doubled. **** them
Zxxv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:42 AM   #30
bchery21
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
Thumb resize.
I know, right! I'm not falling for his trap. Plus, others have already replied...
bchery21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:15 PM   #31
baryon
macrumors 68030

Tydlig is freaking awesome. It's like a scientific calculator minus the learning curve.

Why do normal calculator apps, like the iPhone's built in calculator, only display the result, not the entire operation? Wtf? If I type in 3+4+5 I want to know that I typed those in rather than having "12" on my screen with no explanation.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:18 PM   #32
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a

The most productive thing one can do is ignore these apps, reading about them, installing them, testing them, and so on and so forth. It's like, I have no time to get things done. I'm on the hunt for the best productivity app.
FieldingMellish is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:38 PM   #33
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert99 View Post
Nice to see that Australia is getting ripped of with prices again and its not a constant markup:
Curious about something. In Australia is there sales tax/VAT on digital items? There's not in the US and that could expand the slightly higher prices.

Not to mention that it's well known that Apple doesn't adjust prices daily for currency conversions. They do it based on whatever it was at the top of the quarter or some such.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:48 PM   #34
Razeus
macrumors 68040

What's the difference between PDF Expert and Readle's other app, Documents?
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 01:34 PM   #35
pdaholic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
What's the difference between PDF Expert and Readle's other app, Documents?
Pdf expert has more editing capabilities. It's pretty good if you need to markup PDFs.
pdaholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 03:49 PM   #36
hayesk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcookson View Post
The problem, of course, is that you're paying without knowing what you're buying. And I don't mind steep prices for quality apps, but I'm a huge fan of apps that are free with a single "unlock everything" IAP.

Y'know, just sayin.
I see your point but, what's a high price? Software used to be much more expensive. $10 - $20 is cheap. If you try it, and it doesn't work out, $20 isn't going to break you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Oh boy - Fantastical replicates the iOS calendar. I'm not seeing any advantage. I swap out a calendar app with one featureset for... another calendar app with a subset of the features that I had to pay extra for.
Different views is one, but entering an event is truly where Fantastical shines. Just type "Meeting with Jane tomorrow at 3pm calendar Work". It's much faster and easier to use Fantastical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourtoys7 View Post
Why we don't get 7 day trial, if your app is good, I'll keep it, it it sucks I'll should be able to return just like many other goods...
For this reason I purchase very, very rarely.
First of all, you do have a choice not to update. Turn off auto-updates.

Very few apps get "screwed up" instead of getting better. And who cares - they're cheap!!!! I can not stress this enough. With the devalued state of software these days, paying $10 - $20 for a quality app will pay for itself long before the developer has time to "screw it up." You've already gotten your money's worth. And you don't get a trial because the app store doesn't allow them. This "well I can't try it first" and "the developer screws it up eventually" sounds like rationalization for one thing - a false sense of entitlement.
hayesk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 04:04 PM   #37
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Or you can just buy it and if it doesn't work out for you like you thought, just go to the iTunes Store and view your purchases to request a refund. I do it all the time. Never been an issue.
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 04:30 PM   #38
SteveJobs2.0
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I see your point but, what's a high price? Software used to be much more expensive. $10 - $20 is cheap. If you try it, and it doesn't work out, $20 isn't going to break you.

Different views is one, but entering an event is truly where Fantastical shines. Just type "Meeting with Jane tomorrow at 3pm calendar Work". It's much faster and easier to use Fantastical.

Very few apps get "screwed up" instead of getting better. And who cares - they're cheap!!!! I can not stress this enough. With the devalued state of software these days, paying $10 - $20 for a quality app will pay for itself long before the developer has time to "screw it up." You've already gotten your money's worth. And you don't get a trial because the app store doesn't allow them. This "well I can't try it first" and "the developer screws it up eventually" sounds like rationalization for one thing - a false sense of entitlement.
The issue are those apps that you pay a few bucks for at first, then a year later they go free but with annoying ads. If you ever update, you basically get ads even though you paid. Fruit Ninja is one such example.
SteveJobs2.0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 05:08 PM   #39
that be me
macrumors member

I can vouch for PDF Expert's awesomeness, but if you need a free alternative that seems to be just as good, Documents by the same developers is a nice substitute.
that be me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 08:45 PM   #40
Traverse
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Out of all of those I use:

Notability
Fantastical
Launch Center Pro
Tydlig
Writer Pro
and Grafio

Here's one of my recent Launch Center Pro setups (I recently dumped Camera+ though):

I like Tydlig, I just find that these days when I'm doing math, it's mostly word problems where Solver shines the most. I can also set certain words to have certain values. All these calculators have certain use cases. A lot of people seen to like PCalc as the replacement for an actual scientific calculator.
How do you like Writer Pro?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:38 PM   #41
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverse View Post
How do you like Writer Pro?
It could be better. The concept is good, the problem is that it's cumbersome to use. If you were to use it with the workflow they want you to use, you're flipping back and forth. At that point, you'd want to have the iPhone opened to the Notes section, and then Write on the iPad.

So far, I'm only using Write and Read. The color scheme they give you is pretty nice on the eyes too, at least mine. I'm not a fan of Editorial's or Write's.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:07 PM   #42
Traverse
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It could be better. The concept is good, the problem is that it's cumbersome to use. If you were to use it with the workflow they want you to use, you're flipping back and forth. At that point, you'd want to have the iPhone opened to the Notes section, and then Write on the iPad.

So far, I'm only using Write and Read. The color scheme they give you is pretty nice on the eyes too, at least mine. I'm not a fan of Editorial's or Write's.
Thank you for feedback. I'm currently using Write (an app) for an iOS and OS X higher order text editor. Writer Pro looked really interesting, but I was hesitant to pay for it since it did look cumbersome in my opinion. Plus, I use Scrivener on the Mac for heavy writings needs.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:35 PM   #43
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverse View Post
Thank you for feedback. I'm currently using Write (an app) for an iOS and OS X higher order text editor. Writer Pro looked really interesting, but I was hesitant to pay for it since it did look cumbersome in my opinion. Plus, I use Scrivener on the Mac for heavy writings needs.
I use Write too. It's a great program. I love how it integrates with Finder tags. The new dark mode is nice. Big fan of Scrivener aswell.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 06:48 AM   #44
bpcookson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
After how awesome XCOM was, I gladly paid $15 for Civ 2 on launch day. That was a total bust and I feel really let down. No, 15 or 20 bucks isn't going to break me, but it IS going to break my trust in a game studio.

Granted, $20 still isn't much for a quality game, but it IS the current top tier price on the App Store. There will have to be a good number of games established at that tier before the bar can be raised to $30 and so on. Just goes to show how underdeveloped the market is, despite the flood of amateur developers trying to cash in and the wave of old indie developers lamenting the demise of the good ol' days.
bpcookson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 07:59 AM   #45
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
No Zac, I don't want to follow you on Twitter D:
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:36 PM   #46
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
its cool dagless, a lot of people don't want to follow me. Too politically incorrect
ZacNicholson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 02:00 PM   #47
northernmunky
macrumors 6502a

Darn, I already have half of these!
northernmunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 05:27 PM   #48
Traverse
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
Heh, that was a good one. I smiled.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 05:27 PM   #49
Oldmanmac
macrumors regular

Quote:
There are trolls amongst us.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 08:36 AM   #50
yourtoys7
macrumors 6502a

Very few apps get "screwed up" instead of getting better. And who cares - they're cheap!!!! I can not stress this enough. With the devalued state of software these days, paying $10 - $20 for a quality app will pay for itself long before the developer has time to "screw it up." You've already gotten your money's worth. And you don't get a trial because the app store doesn't allow them. This "well I can't try it first" and "the developer screws it up eventually" sounds like rationalization for one thing - a false sense of entitlement.[/QUOTE]

Sure, I can go through off' auto update, back up, etc. I don't want to waste my time. If I buy it, I'd like to have what I purchased (I guess thats out of norm to ask/ want).
false sense of entitlement, LOL, trying pair of jeans to make sure they fit they way you like, testing piece of electronics before yo commit to purchase is a no no in your book? would love to see how full of ..... you are, Im sure you've returned ton of stuff cause you didn't like one or another thing about it.
Maybe if its 99., 1.99 or 4.99 we shouldn't ask to try it out, good luck with your purchases!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion