Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

storygk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
First of all, I must say that i'm new to macbook things only use iPhone and iPad in the past and English is not my native language, so forgive me for my poor English

My MBPr Specs:

OS X: 10.9.4
Processor: 2.5 GHz i7
RAM: 16 GB
HDD: 512 SSD

and I am trying to install Windows 8.1 Pro for my MBPr but there are some problems keep showing up, first I try by using bootable USB made by Boot Camp Assistant and problem show up when I have to select the partition to install windows saying that it is GPT style, so I cant install on that partition.

and then I try to create Partition manually by using Disk utility and install window through Bios, which look exactly like when I install window on other PC. with this time I can choose the partition to install but when installing through 3-4 step, there's an error message said something about boot configuration and my process won't save and will cancel the process.

So, I need help with this installing step, and any help would pretty much appreciate and thanks in advance :D

storygk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Still looking for help :D

EDIT: Successfully install windows 8.1 on my MBPr using this method

Got it to work on my Late 2013 15" rMBP 2.3 16 512 w/ 750m....LG Screen! :)

Just wanted to share step-by-step instructions of how to install Windows 8.1 using Bootcamp on Mavericks. After failing once and finding the solutions below, it actually worked. Just follow each step below and you will be able to install Windows 8.1 with no problems at all. Hope this helps....

-Create USB stick using Apple Bootcamp Assistant. This procedure only works with it.

-When it Bootamp assitant reboots your machine you need to interrupt the installation.

-When you hear the startup sound, hold option until it presents you with login options.

-Select your Macintosh HD to boot back into OSX.

-Run Disk Utility, select the Macintosh then choose the partitions tab.

-The BOOTCAMP partition should be at the bottom. Select this partition by clicking on it. Ensure it is the highlighted partition then press minus to remove it.

-Click apply on the bottom right to make the changes.

-Now press plus to add a new partition which will likely be names Macintosh HD2

-Select this new partition then you can define the settings on the right.

-Rename this to BOOTCAMP.

-Change the type to ExFAT.

-Now click apply on the again to make the changes.

-Reboot you Mac, press option again during the boot and this time select the Windows device with the USB logo on it. Its orange.

-Now it will start the install process. When it gets to the list of partition you should see four of them. You want the last one. It will say it cannot install on this.

-Make sure the fourth partition is selected then click format. When it is done the error message should be gone and you should be able to continue.

-During install it will suggest turning on auto updates. I recommend you turn this off until the bootcamp drivers are installed. When it is finished prepping the install it will reboot.

-Each time it reboots you will need to intervene by pressing option but from now on select the Windows device with the picture of the hard drive. It is a silver color

-It will reboot two or three times during the install. Each time you will need press option during boot to reselect the Windows device on the hard drive.

-At the end of the installation it will prompt you to install the Apple Bootcamp Drivers.

Thanks !!!

Last edited:

storygk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
I haven't tried bootcamp but it was very simple to set up (and use) 8.1 under Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/). Unless you have a specific application / need for booting the rMBP into Windows, Parallels is much easier and lets you run Mac apps and Windows apps at the same time.

Yeah, I have read about that and someone said that if I use parallel then it will divide the macbook's resources like ram, cpu, gpu, etc. in half. which im not yet sure but i think bootcamp is better for me tho

but thanks anyway, I figured it out how to and already done install windows 8 on my macbook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.