Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
people still pay for apps?:rolleyes:

qhFsLfM.png

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
You buy an app in its condition, if/ when developer updates/ changes/ screws up the app, well, nothing you can do, your money is wasted...
For this reason I will not buy an app...
You should have a choice to remain/ keep the original app if you want to as you paid for it...
Why we don't get 7 day trial, if your app is good, I'll keep it, it it sucks I'll should be able to return just like many other goods...
For this reason I purchase very, very rarely.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
You buy an app in its condition, if/ when developer updates/ changes/ screws up the app, well, nothing you can do, your money is wasted...
You should have a choice to remain/ keep the original app if you want to as you paid for it...

1. Don't update the app.
  2. Keep backups.
  3. There is no step 3.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
We are just talking a few dollars right????? I hope you didn't skip lunch?

Its the principle. They doubled their price just before the dreams ad came out. Look at the price history on app shopper. Now apple puts it on sale it drops to the price before they doubled. **** them :D

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Tydlig is freaking awesome. It's like a scientific calculator minus the learning curve.

Why do normal calculator apps, like the iPhone's built in calculator, only display the result, not the entire operation? Wtf? If I type in 3+4+5 I want to know that I typed those in rather than having "12" on my screen with no explanation.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
The most productive thing one can do is ignore these apps, reading about them, installing them, testing them, and so on and so forth. It's like, I have no time to get things done. I'm on the hunt for the best productivity app.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Nice to see that Australia is getting ripped of with prices again and its not a constant markup:

Curious about something. In Australia is there sales tax/VAT on digital items? There's not in the US and that could expand the slightly higher prices.

Not to mention that it's well known that Apple doesn't adjust prices daily for currency conversions. They do it based on whatever it was at the top of the quarter or some such.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
What's the difference between PDF Expert and Readle's other app, Documents?

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
The problem, of course, is that you're paying without knowing what you're buying. And I don't mind steep prices for quality apps, but I'm a huge fan of apps that are free with a single "unlock everything" IAP.

Y'know, just sayin.

I see your point but, what's a high price? Software used to be much more expensive. $10 - $20 is cheap. If you try it, and it doesn't work out, $20 isn't going to break you.

Oh boy - Fantastical replicates the iOS calendar. I'm not seeing any advantage. I swap out a calendar app with one featureset for... another calendar app with a subset of the features that I had to pay extra for.

Different views is one, but entering an event is truly where Fantastical shines. Just type "Meeting with Jane tomorrow at 3pm calendar Work". It's much faster and easier to use Fantastical.

Why we don't get 7 day trial, if your app is good, I'll keep it, it it sucks I'll should be able to return just like many other goods...
For this reason I purchase very, very rarely.

First of all, you do have a choice not to update. Turn off auto-updates.

Very few apps get "screwed up" instead of getting better. And who cares - they're cheap!!!! I can not stress this enough. With the devalued state of software these days, paying $10 - $20 for a quality app will pay for itself long before the developer has time to "screw it up." You've already gotten your money's worth. And you don't get a trial because the app store doesn't allow them. This "well I can't try it first" and "the developer screws it up eventually" sounds like rationalization for one thing - a false sense of entitlement.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Or you can just buy it and if it doesn't work out for you like you thought, just go to the iTunes Store and view your purchases to request a refund. I do it all the time. Never been an issue.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I see your point but, what's a high price? Software used to be much more expensive. $10 - $20 is cheap. If you try it, and it doesn't work out, $20 isn't going to break you.

Different views is one, but entering an event is truly where Fantastical shines. Just type "Meeting with Jane tomorrow at 3pm calendar Work". It's much faster and easier to use Fantastical.

Very few apps get "screwed up" instead of getting better. And who cares - they're cheap!!!! I can not stress this enough. With the devalued state of software these days, paying $10 - $20 for a quality app will pay for itself long before the developer has time to "screw it up." You've already gotten your money's worth. And you don't get a trial because the app store doesn't allow them. This "well I can't try it first" and "the developer screws it up eventually" sounds like rationalization for one thing - a false sense of entitlement.

The issue are those apps that you pay a few bucks for at first, then a year later they go free but with annoying ads. If you ever update, you basically get ads even though you paid. Fruit Ninja is one such example.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
I can vouch for PDF Expert's awesomeness, but if you need a free alternative that seems to be just as good, Documents by the same developers is a nice substitute.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Out of all of those I use:

Notability
Fantastical
Launch Center Pro
Tydlig
Writer Pro
and Grafio

Here's one of my recent Launch Center Pro setups (I recently dumped Camera+ though):

I like Tydlig, I just find that these days when I'm doing math, it's mostly word problems where Solver shines the most. I can also set certain words to have certain values. All these calculators have certain use cases. A lot of people seen to like PCalc as the replacement for an actual scientific calculator.

How do you like Writer Pro?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
How do you like Writer Pro?

It could be better. The concept is good, the problem is that it's cumbersome to use. If you were to use it with the workflow they want you to use, you're flipping back and forth. At that point, you'd want to have the iPhone opened to the Notes section, and then Write on the iPad.

So far, I'm only using Write and Read. The color scheme they give you is pretty nice on the eyes too, at least mine. I'm not a fan of Editorial's or Write's.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It could be better. The concept is good, the problem is that it's cumbersome to use. If you were to use it with the workflow they want you to use, you're flipping back and forth. At that point, you'd want to have the iPhone opened to the Notes section, and then Write on the iPad.

So far, I'm only using Write and Read. The color scheme they give you is pretty nice on the eyes too, at least mine. I'm not a fan of Editorial's or Write's.

Thank you for feedback. I'm currently using Write (an app) for an iOS and OS X higher order text editor. Writer Pro looked really interesting, but I was hesitant to pay for it since it did look cumbersome in my opinion. Plus, I use Scrivener on the Mac for heavy writings needs.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Thank you for feedback. I'm currently using Write (an app) for an iOS and OS X higher order text editor. Writer Pro looked really interesting, but I was hesitant to pay for it since it did look cumbersome in my opinion. Plus, I use Scrivener on the Mac for heavy writings needs.

I use Write too. It's a great program. I love how it integrates with Finder tags. The new dark mode is nice. Big fan of Scrivener aswell.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA

After how awesome XCOM was, I gladly paid $15 for Civ 2 on launch day. That was a total bust and I feel really let down. No, 15 or 20 bucks isn't going to break me, but it IS going to break my trust in a game studio.

Granted, $20 still isn't much for a quality game, but it IS the current top tier price on the App Store. There will have to be a good number of games established at that tier before the bar can be raised to $30 and so on. Just goes to show how underdeveloped the market is, despite the flood of amateur developers trying to cash in and the wave of old indie developers lamenting the demise of the good ol' days.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007

Very few apps get "screwed up" instead of getting better. And who cares - they're cheap!!!! I can not stress this enough. With the devalued state of software these days, paying $10 - $20 for a quality app will pay for itself long before the developer has time to "screw it up." You've already gotten your money's worth. And you don't get a trial because the app store doesn't allow them. This "well I can't try it first" and "the developer screws it up eventually" sounds like rationalization for one thing - a false sense of entitlement.[/QUOTE]

Sure, I can go through off' auto update, back up, etc. I don't want to waste my time. If I buy it, I'd like to have what I purchased (I guess thats out of norm to ask/ want).
false sense of entitlement, LOL, trying pair of jeans to make sure they fit they way you like, testing piece of electronics before yo commit to purchase is a no no in your book? would love to see how full of ..... you are, Im sure you've returned ton of stuff cause you didn't like one or another thing about it.
Maybe if its 99., 1.99 or 4.99 we shouldn't ask to try it out, good luck with your purchases!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.