Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubsdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
I am fairly new to Mac. I bought a refurb 27" 2011 iMac a month or so ago. I am having issues with shutting down or restarting. Sometimes the iMac just won't do either. I have a 3 TB external HD formatted to NTFS so. I purchased and installed Paragon for OSX 11. Sometimes, when I click on that drive I get the spinning beach ball. If I do a comand-alt-esc and try to restart a non-responsive finder, it quits but does not restart. When this happens and I try to restart, the imac hangs on the gray screen during shut down.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this?

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
I am fairly new to Mac. I bought a refurb 27" 2011 iMac a month or so ago. I am having issues with shutting down or restarting. Sometimes the iMac just won't do either. I have a 3 TB external HD formatted to NTFS so. I purchased and installed Paragon for OSX 11. Sometimes, when I click on that drive I get the spinning beach ball. If I do a comand-alt-esc and try to restart a non-responsive finder, it quits but does not restart. When this happens and I try to restart, the imac hangs on the gray screen during shut down.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this?

If you think it is related to your NTFS drive and Paragon 11, I would recommend formatting the drive to exFAT and stop using Paragon. You might also try to reset your PRAM by holding Command, Option, P, and R while starting up your computer.

bubsdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
I was able to narrow the problem down to the Seagate USB hard drive. Whenever finder would lock up, I would pull the cable from the Seagate and everything was good again. I took your advice and copied everything from the 3TB drive to my iMac hard drive and another Western Digital Elements 1TB USB drive I had. Then I reformatted the Seagate to MAC OS Extended Journaled. Even after all of that the Seagate caused Finder lock ups even when I wasn't transferring files to or from it. On my Windows machine, it ran 24/7 with no problems. It must have a compatibility with Mac issue.

I did a work around by connecting the Seagate to an Airport Extreme and using it as NAS storage and for Time Machine. It's slow but at least it doesn't lock up my system now.

My iMac only has USB 2.0 (along with Firewire and Thunderbolt) ports. Can anyone recommend a good 3 or 4 TB USB drive that won't cause compatibility issues? Firewire and Thunderbolt drives seem very expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.