Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
I still have my 2009 MBA (2nd Gen) with OWC 64Gb SSD and a whopping 2Gb RAM. Its in showroom condition with one exception - the hinges are beginning to loosen a little. Unfortunately Apple has ceased the free hinge replacement program.

It came with Snow Leopard but is currently running the Yosemite beta - the fans spin up a fair bit but the SSD keeps it quite speedy.

So, what should I do with it?

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I still have my 2009 MBA (2nd Gen) with OWC 64Gb SSD and a whopping 2Gb RAM. Its in showroom condition with one exception - the hinges are beginning to loosen a little. Unfortunately Apple has ceased the free hinge replacement program.

It came with Snow Leopard but is currently running the Yosemite beta - the fans spin up a fair bit but the SSD keeps it quite speedy.

2GB of RAM is still plenty for most tasks. If the hinges are really bothering you, you can sell it and get a new 2014 MBA for as little as $700 at BestBuy. Otherwise, it is a great computer and as long as it works it should last you another few years.

Matt

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Send it to me.

Nothing wrong with 2GB RAM for most casual use (internet surfing etc). SSD is of course a bit on the small side but if you have enough cloud space etc. also still very useable.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010

Give it to a a worthy needy kid.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Upgraded a 2009 MBA (2GB RAM) that came with that horrendous 120Gb 4200rpm iPod HDD, to a OWC Aura Pro 120GB SSD and put Mavericks on it and it works like a charm. Gave it to my stepson. He LOVES it!

I agree with others here to either keep using it for a couple of years or give it to someone as it is still a very useful computer with the SSD (which can easily be upgraded to a 120GB for just about $100.00).

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I agree with the others here. That mba sounds like an awesome machine. Why are you not using it?

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Thanks all for the replies. It gets used as a beta testing machine for stuff like Yosemite, but the main machine is a 15" 16Gb rMBP. Also have a 2011 17" MBP so the MBA is the runt of the litter.

Bit loathe to sell it only because of the hinges. They're OK at the moment but are never going to get any better. I bought my teenage daughter a second hand (windows) laptop a few months ago instead of giving her the MBA, partly because the windows machine is built like a tank and she's not so careful with her stuff.

Its been used as a streaming media server already. Due to the lack of built in space I hooked up an external USB drive loaded with movies. Streaming software like Plex or PS3Media Server ran OK but the transcoding of certain files thrashed the machine mercilessly.

I think its time to donate it to someone who needs a computer :)

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Thanks all for the replies. It gets used as a beta testing machine for stuff like Yosemite, but the main machine is a 15" 16Gb rMBP. Also have a 2011 17" MBP so the MBA is the runt of the litter.

Bit loathe to sell it only because of the hinges. They're OK at the moment but are never going to get any better. I bought my teenage daughter a second hand (windows) laptop a few months ago instead of giving her the MBA, partly because the windows machine is built like a tank and she's not so careful with her stuff.

Its been used as a streaming media server already. Due to the lack of built in space I hooked up an external USB drive loaded with movies. Streaming software like Plex or PS3Media Server ran OK but the transcoding of certain files thrashed the machine mercilessly.

I think its time to donate it to someone who needs a computer :)

Convert the files to M4V which more devices (ATV/PS3/PS4 etc) can play natively vs MKV which often times need to be transcoded server side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.