Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
I have a Mac Mini 2,1 (Mid 2007 C2D) that can run up to OS X Lion, officially. I'm planning to run it as a server for VPN, file sharing, media streaming and backups and am in a dilemma with which version of OS X to put on it.

Snow Leopard, Lion, or.. Mountain Lion using MLPF? (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1325709/)

I've heard the Mountain Lion is more stable than Lion but since it's being 'hacked' onto the Mac I'm not sure which of the options would work out best. Any thoughts?

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
I have exactly the same machine.
I've found Snow Leopard the most stable OS for it.
It does run warm occasionally, but it serves as an AFP File Server, VPN, iTunes Library, and AirVideo Server for our iDevices.

A 3TB external drive sits, plugged into the back for content and backup.

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
I have exactly the same machine.
I've found Snow Leopard the most stable OS for it.

Ah okay, that's helpful thanks.

So did you try it with Lion and not find it stable enough then? I don't mind putting SL on it, but it does seem pretty old - there aren't any features you find missing for server use?

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
The only thing that snow leopard could not do for me that lion could was icloud. For everything that you want it for snow leopard is the most stable and has lesser memory footprint.
I'm still using the machine for that same configuration.

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
The only thing that snow leopard could not do for me that lion could was icloud. For everything that you want it for snow leopard is the most stable and has lesser memory footprint.
I'm still using the machine for that same configuration.

Thanks for that info. I won't need iCloud running on the server so think Snow Leopard sounds like the best choice :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.