Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Samyang=rokinon=walimex, all the same brand.

Thats a manual lens. I have the 14mm for ff and I like it a lot.

The nikon 1 is a totally different system.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
can you link me to the one you got?
whats ff?
Ff=full frame / 35mm equivalent

If you want to get as wide as possible I'd recommend you get the 8mm.
The 8mm is for crop sensors like your d3300 and should give you a 12mm equivalent.
My 14mm would amount to 21mm for you which isnt really fisheye anymore.

I am not sure if what I write is gibberish to you.
You might want to look up sensor sizes and how they interplay with focal lengths.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
whats ff?

Expensive!

Here is a link that might explain it better for you.

http://digital-photography-school.com/full-frame-sensor-vs-crop-sensor-which-is-right-for-you/

How it effects you mostly at this point is with the lenses you choose. A FF lens will work on a crop sensor but at a 1.5 multiplier. So for example my FF 24-70 mm lens, really works on my camera as a 36-105 mm when compared to the same lens on a FF body. Also if you ever plan to buy a FF body in the future your better off getting lenses you can use on both. Examples of Nikon FF cameras are D610, D800, D4S just to give you a heads up.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
got the nikon d3300, and would like to grab a fisheye lens. don't wanna get the nikkor one, too pricey for me....

Look at used lenses. Nikon has made quite a few fisheyes. You don't need autofocus as the DOF covers almost everything. But a lens made for the old film cameras might be to long for a DX size sensor. Or it maybe better. Depends on the effect you want.

My first impulse is always to hunt down a used Nikon lens

Last edited:

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
Look at used lenses. Nikon has made quite a few fisheyes. You don't need autofocus as the DOF covers almost everything. But a lens made for the old film cameras might be to long for a DX size sensor. Or it maybe better. Depends on the effect you want.

My first impulse is always to hunt down a used Nikon lens

where is the best place online to find a nikon used?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Do you have a local camera shop who sell second hand gear?

They might not be as cheap as eBay but you might get a limited warranty.

I got all my gear second hand through work (except the D7100). It shows signs of wear, but I couldn't have bought it all new.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
You don't need autofocus as the DOF covers almost everything.
I always read this, but the DOF does certainly not cover everything.
At 2.8 their is a noticeably shallow dof on my 14mm.

I would try to get the samyang used. they are a bargain!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006

No "best" but they are common in all the usual places

1) Craigs list,
2) Amazon
3) eBay
4) KEH.com (this is one of the best on-line places)
5) B&H Photo these guys are good also, bought a 50mm there for $90.
6) Adorama only a small step down form B&H
7) almost EVERY local camera store has some Nikon used lens for sale. Yes EVERY one of them I've ever seen. most have dozens of them.
8) any of several camera forums. fredmiranda.com is a big one.

The reason so many Nikons are on the used market is that the F-mount has not changed in decades. Even 1960's vintage lenses still fit. Millions of lenses were made and they last nearly forever. There is some limitations but the supply of used Nikon gear is endless.

----------

I always read this, but the DOF does certainly not cover everything.
At 2.8 their is a noticeably shallow dof on my 14mm.

I would try to get the samyang used. they are a bargain!

The lens in question is f/3.5 not f/2.8 and also 8mm. for that lens the hyper focal distance is about 3 feet. In other words you only have to move the focus ring in the subject is very close.

You are right about them being a bargain. All of them are I think the same samyang lens sold under different brands. The only disadvantage is that some people may not understand manual exposure. With some bodies the lens would not meter at all. and with others it would work.

Last edited:

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I would rent one before buying a fisheye. There is software that will give you the same effect. I would go the use route.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
I would rent one before buying a fisheye. There is software that will give you the same effect. I would go the use route.

No. The software can distort a rectilinear image but it can not make it wider and include stuff that is off the frame. The 8mm lens actually has a VERY wide file of view, something like 100 degrees.

I guess you could make a mosaic composite image using 4 or 9 shots from a normal wide angle lens that are stitched together and then run that through the software and get the same effect. That would work for static subjects

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I have yet to see software that can suplement lens character and characteristics.

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
and am i missing any other options?

Sigma has 4.5, 8 and 15mm fisheyes. The 4.5mm is an APS-C full circular fisheye. The 8 mm fills a APS-C frame from corner to corner, the 15mm fills a full frame from corner to corner.

(ie: from top left to bottom right you have 180º field of view..)

Here's some local wildlife staring down a very short optical barrel:

index.php

At $900 it was quite expensive an I use it rarely, after I tired playing with it. Unless you have a *solid* reason to own a fish-eye: borrow or rent one, and go a weekend to Vegas with the money you saved.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
As a newbie in the hobby, I talk a lot with a friend who has been at it for years. We were on the subject of macro lenses today, and she told me she always uses her fisheye for macro photography. Is this the preferred macro method?

Here is an example she got with her fisheye, according to her.

Attachments

• 10509683_10203345662736065_237651004315380341_n.jpg
    10509683_10203345662736065_237651004315380341_n.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 116

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Yes Photoshop. It will give you that effect. There are a few steps to take but it's possible. Just google it.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Yes Photoshop. It will give you that effect. There are a few steps to take but it's possible. Just google it.
i have Ps and Lr. i know what you mean, but thats not the same as a wide lens.
Its kinda like with people who say you can add bokeh afterwards in Ps.
The process is elaborate and the results are usually terrible.

Also if you want to do video wide lenses are nice to have.

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Go for as wide as poss... say... the optical equivalent of the old 35mm - 16mm... dunno what that is on my digi...

No-one really wants to see a circular image.

Wider is always more expensive. 18mm will have to do for now.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
If one of your lenses can accept a 58mm filter or smaller, the "Century .55X Wide Angle Reversible Adapter" 58mm is a viable option. You have a wide angle on one side and a fisheye on the other. I have used it extensively with superb results. I think I saw one on Amazon for $80.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.