Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Motherboard, fans, ram slot pieces, pretty much it.

I was considering at one point buying a bare Mac Pro like what you are looking at. Turns out for the RAM risers alone was $100 for a set. Then You have to spend $40-60 on HDD sleds, then a stock 7300GT graphics card then find a PC one that is flashed (or drop money on a official Radeon 5770). It's one big money pit. I didn't buy that one for $150 just for the reason that it was going to cost more to be put into stock form than to buy a machine that was already stock.

----------

I recommend an ASUS gt210. Cheap, works well as a stop-gap for a newer card. Its $30 on Amazon, sadly no EFI boot. PowerBook medic has good RAM for the Mac Pros.

Those nvidia cards are so low end like the Radeon 5450. I have a 5450 in my Core 2 Quad desktop and the thing struggles with Minecraft and the Sims 3. I've owned both and they are just junk. A much better option would be a flashed Radeon 5750 or the official apple cards.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Those nvidia cards are so low end like the Radeon 5450. I have a 5450 in my Core 2 Quad desktop and the thing struggles with Minecraft and the Sims 3. I've owned both and they are just junk. A much better option would be a flashed Radeon 5750 or the official apple cards.

Harsh on the HD5450. It is not a gaming card but a decent budget HTPC card and a tad better than the GT210, which struggles with some Bluray rips. I have the AMD card now running in my HP Microserver running 10.9.4 quite happily. Fanless, ergo noiseless and sips electricity.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Yeah maybe, the ram risers are there but it needs actual ram. The sleds are not which is a pain. In any case I'll see what he can do or offer me to buy it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.